1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

New Study: Quality of Calories Matters

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Telecide, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120626163807.htm

From reading that I get the impression what the media is reporting isn't exactly what they found.

If I'm understanding things. They say your body burns more calories with the "bad" diet. Least with the "good" diet.

They aren't saying Aikens burns more calories . They're saying your body burns the least calories with Aikens. Or more correctly they're saying your body slows down the most with an Aikens diet after having lost weight.

3. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

If I understand it correctly it's the opposite. The decrease in Resting Energy Expenditure was greatest with the low-fat diet, meaning less calories were burned on that diet.

I agree though that the reporting on this was confusing. When I heard about it on the radio it sounded like they were saying a diet is more effective when the calories come from healthy vs processed foods. But they actually seem to be saying you'd lose more weight eating calorie restricted Big Mac diet. I mean... if you lived long enough to see the results. :D

That is a much better article you linked though. :)

4. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I don't think the study was about weight loss. It was about post weight loss maintenance.

5. Azure

Azure Active Member

Not really surprising. There I have always said its possible to get where we want to be just by eating clean and not worrying about calories.