1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

New runner... having pain in shins

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by BJ, May 30, 2009.

1. BJ

BJ Active Member

OK... I am trying to run for the first time in probably 15 years. I went out and bought a new pair of shoes because my feet were killing me. Now, my shins hurt when I start running. I think that is called a shin splint, but have no idea.

I am 5'10" 180 lbs. I have been walking for a while (on a country road), so I am trying to add some running in there while I walk. I have to stop running after a few hundred yards, not because I am so winded, but because my shins hurt.

Are there some stretches I need to do, or something else that I should try?

THANKS!!!

2. ScottTX

ScottTX Active Member

This is a good thread on the subject:

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=45414

Is your pain on the inside or outside of your shin?

I used to have moderately painful shin splints on the inside of my shins, but they never really bothered me during a run. The pain was more evident after a run... especially when I would rub them. I guess they were more tender to the touch than anything. Icing them helped quite a bit to relieve the pain.

I tried the stretches and various other drills that others recommended and nothing seemed to do the trick.

One thing that many people suggest is going to a running store that can video (and then analyze) your stride on a treadmill. I think this is a great idea and you should certainly look into it, especially since your case seems to be debilitating.

For me, the nearest store that had those capabilities was clear across town, so I brought my camera with me to the gym and figured I'd at least try to do it myself first. Propping my camera up on a small plyometric box, I was able to gain clear visual evidence that I tend to overpronate, and this was the likely cause of my shin splints. The running shoes I was using at the time were still in good physical shape, but they had over 500 miles on them, so I'm certain that wasn't helping the situation either.

Runner's World has a pretty good article explaining the different aspects of "pronation." You can read about it here. They also have a lot of other useful info about shin pain and different remedies.

In bad need of new shoes, I read a ton of reviews and picked up a pair of Nike Air Structure Triax+12 running shoes. Nike designed the support system in these shoes for runners, like myself, who overpronate. I have put about 80 miles on them so far and my shin pain is now barely noticeable. I no longer need to ice them and they aren't tender to the touch unless I apply a lot of pressure.

Try the exercises given in the thread listed above to see if they help at all. If nothing changes, get yourself to a running store and have someone evaluate your stride. In fact, do both. There's nothing wrong with combating the problem from all angles.

#2 ScottTX, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
  3. BJ

BJ Active Member

The pain is dead center in the front of my leg... right along where the bone and the muscle meet... about directly centered in height between my ankle and knee.

I will read through the other thread and see if I can figure it out... thanks!

4. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

I had started running about a month or two ago at the gym. I used the track as opposed to the treadmill so I could be better in control of stopping and starting. I was building up the amount of laps I could do and then in the past few weeks I noticed I was getting that old familiar pain that I had gotten severely back in HS. So I have been doing non impact things like the Elliptical and added an extra spin class to my routine and I will see where I am in a week or two when I try and go back to running. The key is a proper warm-up. And the cure is rest and ice when its sore to help with those inflamed tendons and muscles.

5. BJ

BJ Active Member

I took a week off of walking a bunch then started running again. The pain is still there, but greatly reduced.

I did start messing with my form a bit when I run and have found that it feels a lot better if I land slightly on the outside edge of my foot (I am a bit duck footed, but not too much)

Does that make sense? Is it OK to do that? Sorry for such stupid questions, but I have no idea about running.

6. KoNcEpT61

KoNcEpT61 Active Member

a humans cardiovascular ability will increase faster than your muscular ability. i had the same problem with my shins. i could run longer and faster, but my shins couldnt. massaging the area can get them to go away.

i recommend walking for 2 minutes, jogging for 1 minute. do that for about 2 weeks and you shouldnt feel anymore pain. thats what i did when i had my splints

7. BJ

BJ Active Member

Thanks for the input... I got a heart rate monitor, so I've been running up to ~180 bpm then walking until I get down to ~145 bpm... then run again.

My body has felt a lot better since doing this.

I am doing 3 miles at a time... 3 days a week. Slight shin pain, but nothing like before.

8. movegreatness

movegreatness Active Member

Running on grass or sand (if you're near the beach) will help. Alternate running and walking. Also substitute some swimming for some of your running sessions.

9. Lil'C

Lil'C Active Member

I have suffered with shin splints and it is normally due to over training and shoes. Doesn't sound like you are over training so I would consider changing your shoes. You prob need a pair with a lot of cushion and you need to replace them every 6-8 months depending on how much you are running.

10. BJ

BJ Active Member

OK... the heck with running... my right foot has been hurting so I went to the podiatrist today.

Turns out I have an inflamed tendon. Doc put a wrap on it (that I can't get wet... good luck taking a shower) and told me no running for at least a week.