1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

New road brake design

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by abuseguy, Sep 8, 2014.

1. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

Good article below from VeloNews on new designs in road brakes.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/bikes-and-tech/reviews/reviewed-disc-who-shimanos-rim-brakes-of-the-future_343690

This article crosses over to the issues John had with the under-the-bottom-bracket on his Madone. Although that was eventually shown to be a defective brake (and was a different design), the article above concludes that there's no sound reason for mounting a brake underneath the bike.

"The only thing that belongs under the chainstays is … nothing. Nothing belongs there."

New rim brake designs are important because the pro's are going to be slow to adopt disc brakes -- if they ever do. There are too many issues to contend with: the speed of wheel changes, the challenges of providing neutral support, and what happens in a crash when a nearly red-hot brake disc slices into someone's calf.

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I completely agree with this article. I love the front direct mount brake on my 2013 Madone, but yeah, Trek's choice to put the rear brake under the chainstay was definitely a misstep. It sort of struck me as a situation where the marketing department overrode the engineers. That rear brake location is literally the only complaint I have with my current Madone.

I assume when the article mentions Bontrager's "previous version" mounted under the chainstay they are taking about the Speed Limit integrated brakes, which are the stock brakes on the 2013 Madone 5.9. If so, the bit about Campagnolo-equipped is confusing, as my Madone came with an Ultegra gruppo.

Even though it sounds like Trek is going to replace my rear brake under warranty (the shop is working on that for me now), I'd rather replace the stock brake with Shimano's much better Dura-Ace direct-mount brake. Problem is, my Stages power meter won't clear the Dura-Ace brake--yet another reason why Trek's choice to mount the rear brake under the chainstay was a really bad idea.