1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

new personal bests!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Jono, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

woo im stoked.. i took about two weeks of weight training, and today was my first workout. i wanted it to be "get back into the swing of things" type workout.. doing 8-12 reps, not going crazy.

well, all that went out the window when i started doing some deadlifts and realized 225lbs felt really light for some reason.. i did a few reps, than i threw on another plate each side.. 315lbs, i reped that fairly easily.. than i threw on 10lbs a side and barly got up 335lbs! im so stoked, prior to this i could deadlift 275 maybe 3-4 times.

i also managed to start repping 90lb dumbells on the flat bench, did an insane amount of dips with ease.. and a whole lot more.

i am incredibly stoked, and cant wait to start my new program next week!

never before has taking 2 weeks off and coming back making me stronger :jumping:

:bb:

2. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Great work Jono, 335lb deadlift is a bloody good effort. It really does show you what some rest can do. I'm too scared to push myself on deadlifts yet, I really dont want to get injured. but when I do it wont be near 335. :rolleyes: :)

Marcus :cool:

3. niko

niko Well-Known Member

awesome !

I still think many ppl lift too often. Each bodypart one a week is enough if you are using intensity enough to make it grow. Just my 2cent.

Back last year in Feb I did Power Factor Training for a while to test it's effectiveness. I liked it. Only move thru strong range of motion, (which allows more weight) and do the reps as quick as you can. In only 3 weeks I went from 180 squat (I've never really squatted much in my life) to 225. And Bench from 140 to 185. I only worked each bodypart once a week.

-niko

4. slush_puppy

slush_puppy Well-Known Member

whoa! Jono, that's awesome. I know it's gonna be a while before I'm pushing around weight like that.

It's hard to make the decision to take a week or two off, you feel like you're being lazy. But it only takes a couple of times of seeing progress like that to make you realize how important those rest periods are. Great post! :tu:

5. Knubb

Knubb Well-Known Member

Personally, I feel that many people lift too seldom. When I go for maximum strength I have a program that goes through the body three times over a period of two weeks (or 1.5 times a week), and I can't stop making progress when I do that. Other people at my gym do the once a week thing and can't stop complaining about no gains. It really bugs me when all they do is bitch about it, but won't change a thing in their program. Makes me wanna throw 100-lbs weights on them. :tu:

6. niko

niko Well-Known Member

Well they probably don't use adequate nutrition either. Within a half hour of lifting heavy, I mix up a protein shake with bananas and strawberries in it. Makes a nice thick postworkout nutrition shot, right when the muscles want it, and lots of sugar to get some insulin help. When I started to do a proper postworkout nutrition like this, I really started making good gains. Just like cutting, nutrition is always a big factor, not just how much weight you are putting up.

I agree, they need to try something else if their gains have stopped. But most likely they are not working out with enough "intensity". The problem is intensity is a very relative term. Just because you are having a hard time lifting a weight, or you get a "burn" doesn't mean it's "intense". You have to make the muscle to more work. Which means either heavier weight or faster motion. And you can use more weight if you stay in the strong range. That's what the "power factor" training was about. I tried it and it seemed to work for me. So when I say you only need to work out each bodypart once a week, it's when you are doing something like power factor training or the like. Have you noticed if any of those guys in the gym actually write down how much weight they did, and how much time the reps took them .. that way when they come in next time, they can say, ok I need to see if I can push the weights faster (without injury of course) or put more weight on. It's not always just about reps. Weight is the key in my opinion, it's what causes the stimulus to grow. Reps just build the lactic system. (You need reps to warm up).

And the whole thing about muscles healing in 72 hours is not scientifically proven. Rather, studies have shown that subjects didn't fully recover from an intense muscular bout until around 3 weeks or more later. However, this could be due to lack of proper nutrition. But unless you are shooting up some juice, or you are a teenage male (which has a lot of natural juice already cause they are growing), there is no way you are going to get bigger and bigger working a bodypart like 2 to 3 times a week, not if you are working out like you are supposed to. It's just not enough time to heal and grow. Mind you , you could still get stronger , because of neuromuscular growth and efficiency gains, but you won't necessarily grow much more muscle mass.

-niko

#6 niko, Apr 26, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  7. Jim G.

Jim G. Well-Known Member

Dude... are you serious? I mean... 3 weeks! well, it would explain why Jono made such massive gains after a 2 weeks rest, but still...

8. Knubb

Knubb Well-Known Member

I don't believe that a muscle is fully recovered within 72 hours either, since I know for myself that after a week off you can just explode strengthwise if you've been at it good before. I do, on the other hand, believe that waiting until a muscle is THAT recovered (3 weeks) after each workout is not the way to properly train a muscle. If you consistently work the muscle during a period of time (say 6 weeks) and then take the week off, what probably happens is that the body has felt the stress over that time, and when you rest, it makes sure to repair the muscle excessivly since it thinks it's just in a short break from the hard work. Then, when you go back to lifting, it's capable of doing more work, and you repeat the process...

I'm just guessing here, but could be, right?

I know for sure that if I could be making MORE gains than I do when I'm really going for it working each muscle 1.5 times a week, I could scare myself, easily...