1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

New here, asking a few questions.

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by ZinGraffitiKid, Mar 12, 2009.

1. ZinGraffitiKid

ZinGraffitiKid Active Member

A few years back I was very active in taking dance (for about 7 years). Due to a few accidents in highschool I am unable to pick it back up.
    One of those injuries include falling down the stairs and fracturing multiple bones in one leg.
    Now that I am in college I gained weight (private art school 'no sports here'). The issue is I have been working out and building up strength for about 3 months and seeing just a few changes.

My problem:
    Im a pear shape, I want to tone my upper body and do cardio on my lower body but one of my legs are weak, im trying to avoid bulking them up to make it stronger. Any suggestions?

2. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

Well obviously you want to start light with your weights and just do more reps. Do you have an orthopedic doc or someone (maybe physiologist) who can tell you "where you're at" as far as the leg is concerned? Maybe help with what exercises will help strengthen the injured leg and such.

3. Cubed

Cubed Active Member

If you're female don't worry about 'bulking' by which I assume you mean getting huge muscles. This won't happen unless you decide to take steroids. It's just not possible.

4. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

You already made the most inmportant step. you can do a whole tranformation with just the info on this site. As stated previously, you will not "bulk" unless you take very Specfic steps to do so. You would have to actualy be at a calorie surplus for a while and be doing heavy weights. Just take it slow and steady, use www.fitday.com to track your calories and read soem of the stickys in the beginers forum for trianing suggestions. best of luck to you. :jumping:

5. why_not_fandy

why_not_fandy Active Member

As stated by Cubed, resistance training will not result in muscle gains like you would expect to see in men who use the same lifting regimen. Don't be afraid to "hit the weights." As for your body shape, by "pair-shaped" do you mean you have a proportioanlly larger lower body/legs, and smaller upper body frame? That seems to be the case for many women I know. Some simple advice I sometimes give is to train the shoulders. Try to incorporate, as much you can, shoulders into your resistance training program. The idea is to affect small size gains, but also definition into the shoulders, and this balances out nicely the body as a whole. Many women shy away from this tactic because they don't want to have "bulging" shoulder muscles. I assure you that you won't, and most probably can't do that. As for "shrinking" leg muscles, the best results I've seen have come from dieting. Women I've known have often seen leg size increases with any kind of running program. This is not a bad thing, because often accompanying an increase in size is an increase in tone and definition, but it is imprtant to note this effect so as not to be discouraged if you truly desire "smaller" legs. Best of luck!