1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

New Guy Here

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Willieboy, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Willieboy

Willieboy Member

Hello from South Texas. After a unpleasant, but brief stay on another body building forum, I shopped around and found these forums. I'm 68 years old and have worked out, from time-to-time, all my adult life. At this stage, I am just trying to improve my general level of fitness.

I have the usual assortment of ailments for an old guy, but the most troubling has been COPD, a lung issue. Before I resumed exercising, I was gasping for breath with very little activity. Strangely, I can walk for miles with no problems but activities like mowing my lawn just kicked my butt, especially in the heat and humidity of the Houston summer. Well, I've been back to working out for only ten days or so and the improvement in my breathing has been nothing short off miraculous.

At this time, I have only a Flat/Incline bench of moderate quality and a pair of PowerBlock Smart Block 90 Stage I. I plan to upgrade my bench to an Ironmaster Super Bench soon.

Bill

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Welcome, you should start a journal to track your exercise.

3. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! I've found this one to be very supportive. Only negative compared with another I'm sometimes on (bb...) is that there are far fewer people, so you don't get quite as much interaction as you may want.

4. Willieboy

Willieboy Member

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have noticed this board is not as well attended as others. I guess it is quality, not quantity, that counts.

5. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Welcome Willie. I'm one if the old guy shere (just turned 60) but I also teach a BodyPump class at my gym. If there's anything that I can help you with, just let me know. I lift 3 days a week and do cardio (my class) 3 days a week and rest one day.

It's never too late to get fit and it sounds like you are making some very good choices right now. Good luck.

6. Willieboy

Willieboy Member

Thanks so much Carguy. I appreciate your offer of help. Right now, I think I'm rolling along. Exercising six days a week and feeling great. Right now, all I have is a ton of dumbbells and an FID bench. I am toying with the idea of getting a barbell and some plates and maybe a cage. We'll see.

Thanks again,

Bill

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome. If you haven't already read the stickies and don't be shy about asking questions. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and supportive people here who are generous with their time.

8. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Welcome, Willie Boy

I just turned 66.......

9. Willieboy

Willieboy Member

Thanks for the welcome HevyTetal. Hasn't the decade of the sixties been grand. I swear I don't know how I got so old. Despite my age though, O am ordering a Legend Power Cage on Monday. I might not outlive the warranty period but I have a son who lifts too.

Bill

10. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

The years of being 60plus have been ok so far.....

But I'm noticing that as I get older I have to change up the game plan a bit exercise-wise.

Back 20 years ago I was mostly into bodybuilding.

Right now I'm trying different mixes.....

I don't have any real issues with bodybuilding per se......

But I notice that it is a bit harder to acquire muscle using the old "goto" plans (and staying legal).

Have to work a lot smarter not harder.

Right now for me it's all about getting into mega-shape.....not looking mega -pretty.....