1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

new grounds...a tale of iron, canned tuna and spinach

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by new_grounds, Mar 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

the banana pb milk sounds great but sweet potato!?!?! :eek:

how was it???

2. new_grounds

new_grounds Active Member

It was pretty good but i have weird taste buds

#82 new_grounds, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  3. erik.whitman

erik.whitman Active Member

Dude...

I have been reading your blog for a minute now. I must say I am impressed with the lift program, the diet, and how frikin solid you are. I am looking at starting a program similar to what you, Chicanerous, and MattBack are doing. I think I am just going to read what you do and copy that the next day (within my capacity of course), till I can figure it out on my own. Great job!

4. new_grounds

Thanks Erik! I appreciate the kind words. My basic program goes like this:
    Monday - Workset (Do 5x5 all on exercises)
    Wednesday - Light Day (Do 3x3 or 8x3 depending on how I feel)
    Friday - PR Day (try to hit a 5RM or 3RM or 2RM on Monday's exercises)

I squat 3 times a week and alternate on Bench and Standing Overhead Press. Deadlifts, Power Cleans, RDL and Rows are also alternated or switched in. Finally, just chins, dips, pull ups and GHR for assistance. It's a pretty simple program but I've made a lot of gains in the past few months while using it. Good Luck with it and thanks for stopping in.

5. new_grounds

monday

Lifting
    Squat 290 x 5, 4 (failed the fifth and moved the weight down to 286), 286 x 5 x 3
    Bench 215 x 5 x 5
    Power Cleans 60kg x 3 x 8
    Chins 35 x 10 x 3

Today's lifting was kind of disappointing. I was expecting to hit 290 x 5 x 5 for the squat but ended up failing pretty early. Wanting to keep 5x5 rep scheme I moved the weight down and finished the rest at 286 (plates were in kg). I'll attempt 290 again next week, but if I don't get it I will either change the rep scheme to 8x3 or take 10% and rebuild.

I guess it isn't that bad since this is the first time I've stalled in squats in about 8 weeks. I'm just kind of down because I was expecting to come back strong after last weeks change up.

Bench 5x5 was lower than usual, but it was expected since I haven't benched in about 3 weeks. It's always been my worst lift and I need to "grease the groove" on that.

The power cleans felt good. I lowered the weight down to 60kg and continued work on the form. I think my start position improved as per chicanerous and digitalnebula's suggestions. I took some videos that I'lll upload later when I have time.

Running: LISS 3 miles (up and down this .5 mile hill three times)

Nutrition:
    1. Sweet potato peanut butter milk
    2. 6oz chicken thigh, orange
    peri-wo I ate a plum and an orange since they were lying around
    3. .5 brown rice w/ 1oz onions, some garlic, handful of mushroom and shrimp thrown in, 7oz salmon, couple glasses of fresca, glass of milk
    4. 7 cups spinach w/ mushrooms, peppers, onions and a can of tuna stir fryed in olive oil
    pre bed meal: don't know, maybe some peanut butter and milk

total: 2700 calories or so

cool link of the day: Rippetoe on Deadlifting

6. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Looks to me like you got those things pretty ironed out.
    I still say that you have a nice bar path...:nod:

I couldn't see your jump shrug really and how it complimented your knee and back extension. But from what I saw (addressing the bar, straight back, proud chest, etc...), it looked pretty darn good.

Nice work!

One of these days I'll figure out how to make videos so that you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong

7. new_grounds

Thanks Digital, the start position still feels a bit awkward but I think I just have to get used to it. Once my hamstring flexability improves, I think I will try to let my hips rise more and more.

Tuesday
    Running: 30mins hills

nutrition:
    1. 0.5cup oats, 1tbs natural pb, 1 cup frozen berries
    2. 1 cup milk, 1 cup 2% greek yogurt, 1 oz walnut
    3. 6oz chicken thigh, 4oz salmon
    4. peanut butter banana milk
    5. .5 cup brown rice w/ shrimp, mushrooms, onions, 8oz cod
    6. spinach w/ vegetables and a can of tuna

cool link of the day: I want chinning skills like this

#87 new_grounds, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

9. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

That's me coming out of the hole on squats...same reason overhead squat form is bad...flexibility...or lack thereof.

My long arms allow me to set up properly on the PCs and deads before my hams are an issue...

Keep working at it, you'll get there! :nod:

10. new_grounds

Wednesday
    Front Squat 280 x 3 x 3
    OH Press 156 x 3 x 3
    Deadlifts

Dips 90 + bw x 7 x 3
    GHR bw x 7 x 3

Today was a great workout! I feel much better after Monday's sorry excuse for a lifting session. I hit a new 3RM for front squats, although I think the true RM may be higher since this was a 3 x 3 set. I felt strong on the overhead presses, I think I could have gone up 5 or so more lbs on for the 3 x 3 on that exercise. I think it's 335lbs on the bar,..damn!

GHR's are a very humbling exercise. After finishing the bodyweight sets, I tried with a 15lbs medicine ball behind my neck. Not going to happen.

*edit: reposted the front squat video without rotating the picture*

Running: LSD little more than 2 miles

Nutrition
    1. 2 eggs, 3 whites, 5oz chicken thigh, onions, peppers and mushroom omlette
    2. 8oz eye of round, 3 cups green beans, 1 banana
    3. .5 cup rice, 6 medium shrimp, mushrooms and onions, 8oz chicken thigh, 3 cups green beans
    4. frozen stir fry veg + 6oz salmon mixed in

2 liters of diet birch beer soda

total calories: 3k or so

cool link of the day: Rippetoe Coaching Squats
    Found this on Rippetoe's website, you can hear him coaching in the backround. I'm assuming this is a "Rippetoe approved squat". I think it's 335 on the bar x 10 reps, damn!

#90 new_grounds, Apr 16, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  11. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Good deal on the squats! That's serious weight there :nod:

I think you may be allowing your low back to break under a bit at the bottom of the rep.

12. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Agreed. I have the exact same issue... Staying upright is a huge problem for me.

But at 280...all I can say is..holy crap your erectors have to be beasts! :nod:

13. new_grounds

Thanks for the replies guys, that is something I definitely have to work on. I can see myself leaning foward when I come up from the hole. Front squats are definitely a weird lift, just a little bit of difference in weight can really destroy form. I have some videos at 275 and I don't lean foward when coming out from the bottom during those, but when it's only 5lbs more the form breaks down.

14. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I laid my monitor on its side to watch...:lol:

I think I see the same...

Watch your chin (and head/upper torso)...it kinda dips down and rotates forward near the bottom.
    I catch myself doing the same thing. Try and focus on something in front of you maybe, or some other cue...

- Your knees track nicely
    - Your rack position...I envy it. :nod: You have great flexibility. Won't be long and you won't even need to take your pinky out of the hold...
    - Good depth

The rotation of your upper body gets the bar a little in front...that's about the only thing I notice...If you come up with a great way of training away this bug, be sure to let me know! ;) My flexibility is my biggest issue right now...

15. new_grounds

Thanks Digital for taking the time to point all those things out, I appreciate it!!!!!!!! I hope you didn't really put your monitor over on the side :lol:

I will definitely let you know if I can figure something about the upper body rotation. I think maybe if I try to sit down more between my legs it might help. Usually when I front squat I think about "sitting back" which might cause me to lean forward slightly.

As for flexibility in the rack position, I think that just comes with time and just repetition. I remember when I first started front squats, I was only able to get the tips of my index and middle finger on the bar. But by just doing it every week, I've been able to get a better grip. It also helps if you do front squats as your first exercise of the day as any sort of "pump" in your forearms or biceps will severely limit your ROM.

#95 new_grounds, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  16. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

You could definitely start the concentric with the head a bit more, but that's not what I was talking about. Look at the low back. Right at the bottom, your butt rolls under a bit. You lose your low back position. As I've heard it described, you almost have to feel like you are pulling yourself down to the bottom with the hips. It may also be you've slightly exceeded your flexibility, allowing the lumbar spine to flex a bit.

(Not that I'm not guilty of both of those things myself and have to constantly work on them...)

17. new_grounds

Thanks Mannishboy, I understand what you mean now. You're right, I'm doing what I think is referred to as a "butt wink" which can be attributed to a lack of flexibility in the hamstrings. That's another thing to work on. Thanks to you and digitalnebula for pointing that stuff out, I've always been OCD about form.

Thurday
    Sprinting at the track
    1 mile warm up
    4 x 100m sprint (1:45 sec rest between each)
    4 min rest
    4 x 40 yard dash (1:30 sec rest between each)

My hips are sore from these sprints. I haven't done much true sprinting in a while and really enjoyed it. I think that now since it is getting warmer, I will sprint more and run less long distance.

cool link of the day: How to perform O-lifting, progressions and form

Nutrition:
    1. 2 eggs, 3 whites, onion, mushroom, pepper and canned tuna omelette
    2. 8oz sweet potato w/ 1 tbs natural pb
    pre wo: 1 banana
    3. 8.5oz eye of round, 4 servings frozen stir fry vegs
    4. .5 cup brown rice, shrimp, chicken

total calories 2800 or so

--------
    On a side note, "The Office" was awesome tonight! Pam Beasly *sigh*:dreamy:

#97 new_grounds, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  18. new_grounds

Friday
    Lifting

Squat 156kg (343lbs) x 2 x 1 (2RM pr, Oh yea!)
    Bench 220lbs x 5 x 5
    Power Cleans 70kg x 3 x 5
    * Bench and Power Cleans were superset
    OH Squat 40kg x 5 x 3 (new exercise)
    Deadhang Pullups 50lbs x 6 x 3
    *Pullups and OH squats were superset

Fatbar static holds @ 2plates each side - 60sec x 2
    Plate pinches

Running: 2 miles hillls

Nutrition
    1. 2 eggs, 3 whites, canned tuna, onions, frozen vegetables
    2. 8oz sweet potato, 1 tbs pb
    3. banana
    4. 0.5cup rice w shrimp, onions and chicken over spring mix salad. Green beans, sweet potato and pb too

**cool link of the day OH Squat tutorial**

#98 new_grounds, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  19. new_grounds

Rest day!!!

today's weight: 184.5

20. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Sweeeet! :tu:

Someday...:dreamy:

I gotta try weighted pullups one of these times just for the helluvit