1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

New forum software (v3.7.0) - comments, questions & problems

Discussion in 'Technical' started by John Stone, May 14, 2008.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

OK, looks like it might be a bug in the custom skins. Please use Plain for a few more hours and tell me if you run into the problem again using that style.

Also, could you try "OLD SCHOOL NEW BEAT" and see if the problem shows in that style?

I'd also appreciate feedback from anyone else who is experiencing the problem before I file a bug report.

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

There IS a problem with OSNB.

3. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

OK, that pretty well cinches it then. "Default" and "OSNB" are the custom styles. I'll get to work on this. Thanks again for helping to troubleshoot this. :)

4. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

I've had the same avatar for years now, and am by no means terribly computer literate. Does this mean that I've been bending rules? Or does it mean that I've another form of file in use?

Andrew.

5. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

No, the avatar ability was always there. The other stuff is new.

6. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

I've said it already, but it's worth repeating. The forums are markedly faster now...and it's awesome! When I click to 'go to first unread' it practically goes right there without much wait time. Even in the longer, picture-dense threads.

You rock John, it's rare that someone actually reinvests their time AND money into their product...you'd be a good business owner! (I guess you kinda are, but you know what I mean):)

7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The "New Posts" link is working okay for me, but I sometimes (but not all the time) am getting the error rtestes mentioned. Would it likely have something to do with the dropdown functionality :confused:

Also, and this is minor, from the listing of posts, when I click on the arrow before the thread title to see unread posts in that thread, there is sometimes (in a long thread) a half second hang time at a post earlier on in the thread before it finally figures out where the first unread post is. It would be less distracting if it just took a half second longer to get to the new post.

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

That happens when the page contains inline images hosted on another server. The forum has to wait for those images to load before it can jump to the right spot, and at that point you're at that server's mercy. There's nothing I can do about that, and also a good reason to use the attachment system instead of hot linking to remote images.

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

It seems that hotmail is still blocking emails from this server. It's the only email service on the planet that is doing that.

This is not happening because anything on this end is improperly configured: the IP of our SMTP server has a proper forward and reverse, and there is a properly set up SPF in our DNS zone file. Further, not one peice of spam has ever been sent from our mail servers in the history of JSF.

No, it seems that hotmail takes a "guilty until proven innocent" approach to "virgin" IPs. The IP address for the SMTP server changed when we upgraded the hardware, and with no past track record for the new IP, hotmail is accepting and then silently dropping mails from JSF. It's completely and totally insane, and a very backwards way to deal with the spam problem. I'm actually pretty furious about it, because it's causing a lot of wasted time and frustration for me and everyone here with a hotmail account.

I've opened a trouble ticket with hotmail, but based on what I've seen from them so far I don't have high hopes for a quick resolution.

If you have a hotmail account then you're not going to get any email from this site until this is resolved. The blame for that falls squarely on the shoulders of your chosen email service.

Ridiculous.

10. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

You mean everyone doesn't have a gmail account yet...weird. :)

I'm a google slut. :dance:

11. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

Me too. :(

I even advertise on google.

errr: off topic. sorry.

#91 badgolfer, May 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  12. docutech

docutech Active Member

Hey John,

Is there a way to get more smilies?

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Working on that. :)

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I created both a hotmail.com and a live.com and, as of this afternoon, I am getting email from our mail server to both accounts.

Could some of you who have hotmail accounts check to see if you are getting mail (PM notifications, friend requests, etc).

Thanks.

15. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I just switched mine back, and hotmail seems fixed. I guess they decided you weren't evil after all. :)

16. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I've decided that they are, however. :)

Glad it's working, and thanks for making some noise.

17. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Thanks for all the help. If I didn't have so much stuff set up to this ancient hotmail account I'd just use my gmail.

Maybe I should start having my gmail pick up stuff out of hotmail...I think there's a workaround to get that to happen I found a long time ago...

Or just use my own domain, but I've got it pretty spam free and want to keep it that way.

18. dkmahkee

dkmahkee Well-Known Member

I ditched my mac.com address a while back. Its still alive, but i just set it to forward to my gmail now. the old stuff is there if I need it (I probably don't but I'm paranoid about it LOL), but that acct was SOO spam riddled it wasn't funny. Now gmail handles all the spam so well that I don't know how i lived without it.

19. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

Me too. Gmail accurately catches and filters 99.99% of the spam I get. With Hotmail, I gave up on making spam filters. Gmail is also way faster than Hotmail and Yahoo and it's not riddled from top to bottom, inside and out with damned annoying giant graphical animated gif and flash-based advertisements. Gmail ownz.

20. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

John, I don't know if this is a setting on your end or a standard vBulletin restriction. I was wondering if it's possible to do 3 character searches? I searched "UFC" the other day and I got the following message:

1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Is that just the way it is? :)