1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

New forum software (v3.7.0) - comments, questions & problems

Discussion in 'Technical' started by John Stone, May 14, 2008.

1. Azure

Azure Active Member

It sure is fast.

;)

2. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

Not sure if this belongs this in this thread or another one, but I got a PM that I read last week re-sent to me overnight. Anyone else experience this?

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Interesting.

When you came to the forum, did the PM show as new, or read?

4. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

New. I got the pop up window that I had a new PM for me. However, when I opened the message it was the same thing I had seen last week.

5. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

May I have your permission to look at the PM database so I can help you troubleshoot this? Be aware that I will see some of your private messages, but only to the extent necessary to troubleshoot the problem.

Also, if you could forward the PM to me that would be helpful.

I understand if this is not something you're comfortable with, but unfortunately it's the only way I can diagnose the problem.

Thanks.

6. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

About an hour ago on the main site page I was getting some funny text. It is opening just fine now, but it was giving me some funky stuff...it was in between classes here at work and I didn't think to copy/paste the error message on the fly. Perhaps it was on my end.

7. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

Yes, that is fine. I will try to forward the "new" and the original one to you in a bit. It was no big issue, just thought I would bring it up.

8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm still getting the 10 second error under the Quicklinks > Today's Posts, and sometimes get an error (even after several minutes have elapsed without me searching) on the Today's Posts or New Posts under the Search button.

Is it only me?:confused:

It's working some of the time, so that's kind of puzzling.

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Nah, I caused that. I fixed it, it won't happen again. :)

OK, I show that the author of that PM did send it yesterday. It was the latest in a series between you two (saying "Thank you!"). Maybe he re-sent it by accident, but I don't see anything wrong here.

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Sounds like it. I've not had any other reports, and can't duplicate the problem here.

You said clearing your cache fixed it (at least for a while), so I suspect something is amiss in your cache. Maybe it's becoming corrupted somehow. Try turning your cache off temporarily and see if that solves it.

11. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

Thanks John for looking into it.

I am having the same issue as Guava. Sometimes I can get by it by clicking on the logo and then doing the search. However, it has been annoying that I can't look at "new posts" even if I have tried to do a search in over 15 mins.

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Have you tried clearing your cache?

I'll check with the software developers and see if there have been any reports of this.

Let me know if clearing your cache works.

EDIT: I'm seeing some other reports of this from other admins. I'll make this a priority and will update this thread with any new issues. Thanks for reporting Guava and bigmex44! :)

13. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This one is pretty minor but I thought I'd post it just in case it was of interest.

When I reply to threads or post new threads, I usually click the "Increase Size" icon to increase the size of the editor box several times. See screenshot if this doesn't make sense:

JSF_Screencap1.jpg

Previously (before the software update) it would "remember" the size and keep it at that size for a while. Now, when I go to create another reply, the size of the editor box is back to the default, smaller size every time.

Again, this really isn't a big deal and probably a nit-picky report. It's not exactly a bug or a problem by any means. But just in case you wanted to know I thought I'd inform you. :)

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

OK, there have only been a very few reports of this out of all the vB communities out there. The official stance of the developers is that it is not a bug in the software. I'm not convinced of that yet, but I think we need to find out why it's only happening to a couple of you.

When you get the error message, how many more seconds does it say you need to wait? For example, I need the bolded part:

"This forum requires that you wait 10 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Also, what forum "skin" are you using? Default, Old School New Beat or Plain?

I've been trying and trying and I simply can not duplicate this problem, even using a normal user account.

When you cleared your cache, did you restart your browser? Try navigating away from JSF, clear your cache, close all browser windows and then come back.

Thanks.

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Yeah, I think this is a design change and not a bug. :)

16. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

John, I cleared out my cache. When I clicked on "New Posts", it said I had to wait another 10 seconds. Even though I was reading this post for at least 30 seconds since the last time I had checked "New Posts".

I have been using the default skin. I never knew you had more than one. :-)

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

OK, I created a custom style for testing. Please click this link to switch to the test style. Clear your cache, and see if you can get the problem to happen with the test style.

You can switch back to your preferred style at the very bottom left-hand side. There's a dropdown "style chooser" box there.

18. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm confused.

I don't see New Posts in this style.

When I get the error, it usually it says 10 seconds. I can try again 4 seconds later, then it says 6 seconds, then try again 6 seconds later and it works. Or not. I'm not sure if it's been consistent.

19. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

It's at the top, just in a different place. You'll see it.

20. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Oh, and I've been using the navy background style with grey type, not sure what it's called, but there's a box near the bottom that says default, so that's probably it.

I have a new question too.

In the old format, there was a spot to find all the posts by a user from that user's profile page. I don't see it anymore.