1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

New Clothes?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Fly_Moe, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Fly_Moe

Fly_Moe Well-Known Member

Not sure if this post belongs in this topic, but it does concern fat loss so here it is.

So far I've lost about 40 pounds, going from 240 down to about 200. I went from a size 40 waist to a 36 right now. The past 2 months my weight has stayed between 195-205 and I can't seem to break my plateau. I'm sure it's my diet, probably not eating enough. Anyway, I would like to drop another 20-30 pounds before I bulk. I noticed that my pants are really loose and I have to use a belt all the time now. I'm hesitant to buy new ones. Obviously if I can drop the last 20-30 pounds, I'll probably drop about 4 more inches off my waist. If I was to buy some 36 inch jeans, they would be baggy like my jeans are now once I lose that weight. I was wondering what other people did that lost a lot of weight. Did you just keep using your old pants or buy new ones? I kind-of want to buy new jeans, but I feel like I might be wasting money, you know? Just curious to what other people have done.

2. garthus

garthus Well-Known Member

What I did was go out and buy myself a pair of smaller work trousers and a pair of tighter jeans for teh evening. Ones that only just fit me, i wouldnt spend more than £10 on each pair. Then i would wear these as much as possible so i didnt fall into the trap of relaxing myself.

What happened when i didnt do this was I tended to drop some weight, have loose clothing then relax a bit then have to drop the weight again. Buy making myself wear the trouser that *just* fitted me I would haev that slight uncomfortable feeling which helped me drive through and keep with the weight loss.

Just my 2p worth.

3. MUGSY

MUGSY Well-Known Member

I posted a similar topic a couple months ago, I have gone from a 44" down to a 38" and I think by the time I'm done I will be around a 34". I bought one pair of decent Jeans off EBay and one pair of khakis from Old Navy to get me through the transition. It’s not the ideal situation but it’s saved me from having to spend hundreds on a new wardrobe only to have to get rid of it a few months from now.

Mugsy

4. RM. Andersson

RM. Andersson Well-Known Member

When I had lost a most of the fat I bought 2 pairs of size 34 jeans. At the moment(8 months later) I use size 31 jeans. But I can still use my 34 jeans with a belt and it looks OK. So, IMO, you could buy new clothes when you are done with most of the fat loss. You will still be able to use them later even if they dont fit perfectly.

Regards!

5. ksm4791

ksm4791 Well-Known Member

I've had to go down in size twice, hopefully couple more times. Old navy has decent prices on a pair of jeans, I just buy 2 dif styles so i can alternate. Nike windbreakers are good too, since they have those adjustable waiste bands. Don't feel guilty having to buy new ones, consider them prizes along the way to reaching your weight goals.

Just sell the old ones on ebay, or maybe give em to someone else here :D

6. Apolon

Apolon Well-Known Member

I cant "weight" to lose enough to have this problem. :D

Sorry for the corny pun, its early.

7. LeftNut

LeftNut Well-Known Member

I went through a few different sizes, too. What the others said is good advice. I especially like the suggestion of buying some pants that are just a little on the tight side (in the waist), so you will be reminded and motivated.

Baggy- or loose-style jeans seemed to work for me, because I could buy some that were tight in the waist, and as I shrank they really didn't look all that different on me.

Whatever you do, save some of those big old clothes. I love pulling out a pair of huge pants or a big ol' suit (that used to be TIGHT), and putting it on every once in a while. It's a great reminder of how far I have come. It's a great thing to be able to show other people, too....if they're interested. Very motivational.

8. Apolon

Apolon Well-Known Member

Once I finally lose my weight this time, I cant wait for me to get into a size 42 Waist even. I have so many clothes in storage right now I cant even think about fitting in its not funny. This is the most serious I have been about a diet ever in my life.