1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Neil's journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by neilw1972, Feb 12, 2012.

1. neilw1972

neilw1972 Well-Known Member

Ok where do I start? long time lurker on this site, 1st time poster.

I guess a little about me would be useful. I am 39 years old used to be very active up til about 10 years ago, training most days, played basketball, football (soccer) and enjoyed being active. I was 1 of those people that never had a great diet (never worried about it) but stayed pretty lean due to all of the activity. My daughter was born in '99 and my activity level started to decline. The competitive basketball took a back seat and gym sessions went from 5 days to 3 to 1 every so often and inevitably the weight piled on. I quickly (in 6 months) went from 170 to 205ish and there I stayed for a few years.

I still played basketball (for a local team, 1 per week instead of 3 times a week) and went to the gym occasionally then in 2004 I managed to get on the professionaly development courses at work and that became the priority. These courses finally finished in October last year (thank goodness!) and it was time to take stock.

I had ballooned to 234 had been dianosed with fatty liver disease and AF which I believe is entirely down to the crap diet and lack of activity of all of these years.

The tipping point came on Dec 27 11 when I weighed and was at 237.75lbs (thats 16 stone 13 and 3/4 for us Brits!) a 1/4 of a lb from 17 stone! I am 5'10 my clothes didnt fit, felt ill all of the time and broke into a sweat when tieing my shoelaces!!

I have tried to diet over the years following WW and have been down to around 192lbs but always quit after a 3 or 4 weeks and weight goes back on and then some!!

So this time I am determined it will be different I started on Jan 2nd 12 and use My fitness pal to track my calories. I have been trying to stay between 1500 and 2000 a day and lost 16lbs so far but the past couple of weeks cheats have become more frequent (i know it hasnt even been that long!) but in the past I would have said oh well I have blown it now and given up completely, I haven't done that and got back to it the next day - that is a big positive for me but I need to cut out the cheats or at least down to once a week.

Anyway long story short my goals are to get down to around 175lbs before the summer not sure if that is realistic? I am currently 217?

I have been reading a lot and John Stone's article on excuses has stuck with me. I aim to do 5 workouts per week min, 3 weights and 2+ cardio.

I will post my diet and actual workouts when they are done and will weigh myself once per week (another vice was for me to weigh myself several times a day and no change meant no progress which I believe contributed to past failures)

It's time for me to be accountable for myself, no more excuses!!

Thanks for reading this long winded post, any advice would be appreciated.

Neil :D

2. neilw1972

Ok Sunday done, a good day for me calories 1675 and 30 mins cardio. Just a walk/jog (can I call 5.5mph a run?) but 17 mins of jogging and am gradually building it up so pretty pleased.

3. paulo_drummer

paulo_drummer Well-Known Member

Welcome and congratulations on your decision.:tucool:

I think weigh yourself several times a day it’s counterproductive, since our weigh tends to fluctuate due to a lot of factors. It really can kill our motivation. I think once a week is enough.
    On the other hand, just the scale weigh wouldn’t be enough to read your results. Try to take also measurements, which can provide you more accurate info about your progress.
    Gonna follow your journal.:nod:

4. neilw1972

Thanks for this, I am definitely only going to weigh myself once a week this time (the last time!!) around, the lack of scale movement in the past has made me think 'what's the point' if nothing changes. I know enouh to realise that this is not the only measure of progress but I think in the past it fuelled my excuses to give up. I am determined not to do that this time.

Using other measures such as soft tape measurements and how my clothes are feeling will form part of what I do now.

I have never made a journal to chart my progress before but I think getting positive replies like yours is very motivating, so thanks :D

Anyway on with my day, have a good one.

Neil

5. neilw1972

Thanks for this, I am definitely only going to weigh myself once a week this time (the last time!!) around, the lack of scale movement in the past has made me think 'what's the point' if nothing changes. I know enouh to realise that this is not the only measure of progress but I think in the past it fuelled my excuses to give up. I am determined not to do that this time.

Using other measures such as soft tape measurements and how my clothes are feeling will form part of what I do now.

I have never made a journal to chart my progress before but I think getting positive replies like yours is very motivating, so thanks :D

Anyway on with my day, have a good one.

Neil

6. neilw1972

Ok good couple of days, Tuesday I got to the gym for a 45 min upper body workout . This is a positive for me as I have had my gym membership for over a year and only used it a handful of times :o

This is made worse by the fact that I only live half a mile from there!! I would make any excuse not to go, home too late from work, I have to go shopping, I have to help out with the kids tea etc etc. The truth is I have loads of spare time where I watch crap tv or whatever to make 45 mins 3 times a week is not only doable it should be pretty easy. I also own a treadmill so my cardio sessions are even easier with all the compforts of home right here - NO MORE EXCUSES!!

My calorie intake was 1768, which within my range as I also managed a 30 min run/walk.

Anyway off to see Star Wars Phantom Menace in 3D with my boy so have a good day :tucool:

7. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Good luck, don't worry about fatty liver, my doctor in China says 2/3 of the western world have it.

Might just be chinese propoganda though haha

8. neilw1972

:lol: haha you are probably right. As long as I am sticking to my plan I hope to never have to worry about it again :)

9. neilw1972

Wednesday calories 1587 and I weighed this morning 217 this is a 0.5 lb loss since the last time I weighed (about 10 days ago) but my diet was not consistent (more or less a good day then a bad day) until I set up this journal on Sunday 12th Feb 12. Since then I have not exceeded my calorie intake and have exercised every day :bb: so am please with that.

As I have said previouly I am not going to solely rely on my scale weight to chart my progress and my waist measurement has reduced to 40.5" at the navel a 1" reduction on the last measurement 10 days ago :)

I am confident that I have now made the commitment that the weight will begin to come off but more importantly I am starting my journey to get fit again after too long and the weight loss will be a consequence of this renewed healthy lifestyle!

Have a good day

10. neilw1972

Stayed within my calorie totals all week and tonight I am having my reward meal of chinese food. Not as bad as the idea conjures up as I only buy a single portion of plain noodles, pork satay and crispy shredded chicken in chilli sauce which I then share with my wife and daughter. Bad but I would have eaten this by myself in the past.

Cardio day today and I managed 27 mins walk/run with 2 x 10 mins at 5.5mph which I am really pleased with as these are the longest intervals I have managed for a long time. I will look to push this on again on monday.

Anyway enjoy the rest of the weekend, back to work on Monday :eek:

11. paulo_drummer

paulo_drummer Well-Known Member

Congrats! Keep up the good work! :tu:

12. neilw1972

The good

Sunday within my calorie totals again :) and decided to run again as I knew that today I was back to work and my kids do TKD at 6 so time would be tight. I managed 27 mins again but this time ran 2 intervals at 5.5mph of 15 mins then 5 mins, not much longer til I am running 20 mins I think :)

The bad

Today was going great breakfast, morning snack (banana) and lunch on point as usual. It was my first day back in work after a week off and so I was up at 6 am and feeling a little tired, well by mid afternoon I crashed, felt horrible and ravenous!! I got home knowing that dinner would not be until 7.30 (after TKD) and I just grabbed everything I could get my hands on and to make it worse stopped at the chip shop for pasty and chips on my way home :o major fail! I don't why it happened but once I started making the excuses my brain just took over (another excuse!!) -

I was up earlier than I had been for a week - excuse
    I felt tired because of that - excuse
    I felt hungry because I was tired - excuse
    I knew that dinner would be late tonight because the kids had TKD - excuse
    We didn't have anything planned for dinner - excuse

I said in my first post that I needed to stop making excuses and be accountable for my own actions, well tonight was not good and I failed to do that but I need to get over it and make tomorrow better.

Here's to a better tomorrow!

13. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Hey, don't worry.

You can't change what happened now, so all you do is promise that for the next 10 days or so everything is super clean!

But damn, a pasty and chips :drool: Was it a steak bake type or a cornish?

14. neilw1972

Thanks I have put it behind me and moving on, this is a great positive for me because in the past I would think oh well diets over as I have blown it but not this time :) I have been spot on today, looked at my diet and adjusted it to get more calories during the earlier part of the day, I was eating porridge made with skim milk (0%) for about 210 cals about 6.30 am so I have increased the portion added a banana and then looking to get some protein around 9.30 lunch at 12.30 is unchanged.

I looked at what I was eating and I have been eating around 16-1700 cals a day and about 250 of those were from snacks providing me with very little nutrition. So I am going to eat closer to the 1950 cal target to lose 1lb per week and hopefully the exercise will create more of a deficit.

Incidentally it was a cornish pasty and to be honest I was really disappointed with it (anticipation is always the best part!), the chips were good though :o

Thanks for the encouragement

15. neilw1972

Just quick update to say my scale weight this morning was 214.5lb that's a 2.5lb loss on last week,:) pleased with this despite my monday meltdown! onwards and upwards. I also lost 0.5" from my waist so going in the right direction!

Have a good day

16. neilw1972

It's been nearly a week since my last post and my week has not been good, cheat have become more frequent and I haven't tracked my food for a large part of it. Each day starts positive but by the time I come home I am ravenous!! I would say however that my 'blow-outs' have been rather mild compared to how I used to be - this is about all i can be happy about! Rubbish!

It's my weigh in tomorrow morning and I am curious to see what the damage done is. It's clear to me that I am not eating enough during the day and my lethargy, hunger and cravings are caused largely by this.

So back to the drawing board, planning is my downfall here and I need to ensure that I have enough of the right things in the cupboards and to spread out my food so that I get more in earlier in the day.

Not giving in as I have still lost 20+ lbs in 2 months (depending on tomorrows weight) and I just need to put it behind me and move forward.

Reading my earlier post where I said pretty much the same thing I think I just need to find something that 'works' for ME and it is going to take more time to figure that out.

Over 4 months til summer and I am sure that I can make dramatic changes in that time I just need to focus.

17. neilw1972

My weight today was 215.75 which is a 1.25lb increase on last weeks. I fully deserve this and expected it to be more but thinking about it maybe my perception has shifted and what I consider to be a blow out now was previously a snack when I was 237lb. Whatever I can do better and am right back on track so lets see if I can stay there for a week!!:tu:

18. neilw1972

Ok so I said I wasn't going to weigh myself all the time but I was curious to see how much damage my 'blow out' leading to the increase in scale weight had done so this morning I woke up early after just 3 days of being back on it and my weight is now 213.75 which is the lowest I have been so far and a 2lb drop since Thursday!!

I know this isn't 'fat loss' but demonstrates to me that eating crap causes me to bloat very quickly and I don't know if it psychological or not but when I eat crap, even for a short time my back pain returns with a vengeance at night! To be frank I do not know how the hell I put up with it for so long :doh:

To know what causes me pain and how to resolve it and yet do nothing about it (for 10 years on and off) makes me feel like the dumbest lazy person on the planet. I put up with years of disturbed sleep, pain and feeling unwell rather than just make the effort to control my diet and do some exercise - WOW :o

Anyway off to the dreadmill to put in my 30 mins worth of pain relief for today :lol:

19. neilw1972

I am looking forward to my weigh in tomorrow, I have stayed completely on track this week :D and apart from some minor wobbles when getting in from work I have not had a problem with my diet and have not cheated at all. The small changes I made seem to be helping my mad cravings when getting home from work - planning works, who knew :lol:

Anyway lets see what tomorrow brings, good numbers hopefully but at least I have the satisfaction of a whole week (probably doesn't seem like a lot to some!) eating clean!! :tucool:

20. neilw1972

Ok weekly update from my weigh in yesterday. My scale weight was 212.5 lb which is the lowest I have been so far and a 25.25 lb loss to date. My waist measurement was exactly 40" which is a 0.5" reduction on the last measurement and 3" to date :)

Very pleased with my progress so let's keep on track and moving forward!! :tu: