1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Need Suggestions- Pics inside

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by mattbau43, Jan 3, 2010.

1. mattbau43

mattbau43 Active Member

Hello,
    I finally was able to get some pics here. Here is my story.

I began 2009 at 295 pounds (6'8 tall). I dropped to 270 by september through just dieting. In Sept I began lifting and mixing in some cardio. I lost another 15 pounds for a total loss of 40 pounds in 2009. I am currently at 255.

I know that I have a good deal of fat left to lose, but at this point I dont think that I can spare losing any muscle. As you can see, I do not have a ton of muscle.

I work out hard and heavy 5 times per week followed by 15-20 mins of cardio. I enjoy lifting but strongly dislike cardio.

If I bulk or cut, I will probably keep my lifting as is for now. I am enjoying it and seeing gains.

Here are my questions:

-Do I "cut" or bulk based upon my pics?

- I am eating clean with 250g of Protein/day, but I need to know what to do with my calories. At 6'8, 255 I need approximately 4300 calories per day (based upon several online calcs) to stay at my current weight with the exercise included. I was eating 2200 during the last three months and find it hard to imagine that I will lose fat at 3500 cals per day. I would LOVE some input here as to what I should do and expect.

-BF% guesses please

Thanks in advance for taking the time to assist me. I would be happy to keep everyone updated in my journey if you would like.

Attached Files:

2. petvan

petvan Active Member

Lots of smarter folks here who'll contribute some good advice I'm sure.

My thoughts however would probably start with continuing what you are doing. If you are seeing some strength gains at 2500 cals and losing weight at the same time, I'd do that, for at least another 20lbs. It seems to me from the pictures that you carry fat around the middle like most of us, and I think if you up the cal's now, you'll likely struggle with adding more size there.

Sounds a lot like what you are doing is working and I'd keep going.

That said, maybe up the tempo of your lifting a bit and lose the cardio piece if it is bugging you. Do 5 mins or so of warmup cardio, and maybe 5 mins to cool down (assuming come out of lifting with a high heart rate and need to help it come down).

Just my .02, but congrats on the progress so far.

Pete

3. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Try this calculator. It's the most accurate, realistic one that I've found.

You could keep cutting for a few months, if you're in a rush to get some more fat off. But I think you're right that you'll be happier with your physique in the end if you add more muscle. And that's really the goal, isn't it?

My suggestion is to eat at or just slightly below maintenance. Even with the best BMR calculator, you'll need to track and make adjustments to find out what really works for you. I think a nice slow recomposition, rather than a drastic cut and bulk cycle, will give you the results you're looking for. Keep lifting hard and heavy. Even if the scale barely moves, 255 lbs of mostly muscle on a 6'8 frame will look great. :nod:

Congratulations on all the progress you've made. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. :tu:

4. mattbau43

mattbau43 Active Member

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming!

Also, any BF% guesses?

5. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

Guess

A BF estimate is tough given your height. I'm saying 20%.

Here's a calculator that will give you a measure. You could use this as a relative measure over time to test and see if you are loosing fat/gaining muscle/or both.

Link: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

GREAT work! :tucool:

6. mattbau43

mattbau43 Active Member

Hello,

I wanted to update this thread. On Jan 3 I was 255. Today, I am 239. I have lost 16 pounds so far.

A few questions:

1) I am getting thin, very thin but the damn stomach fat will NOT leave. It is almost the only place where I have fat. Do I just keep dieting to lose this? My goal when I began was to lose that stomach fat. I have made great progress but not met that goal yet.

2) If i decide to bulk will I gain the fat right back in the ab area if i am eating properly? Or will the fat gain be spread out?

3) I have been in fairly serious diet mode since mid-Jan. I completely swore off booze for the remainder of 2010. I am in desperate need of a refeed which I wil do this weekend. What is everyone's thoughts on refeeding in regard to Leptin? Cheat days where you binge to reset? Eat above maintenance for a week to reset? Anyone with experience?

4) How is my progress? Is it good for three months? Should I have expected more or did I overachieve?

Attached Files:

#6 mattbau43, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  7. kurent

kurent Active Member

1.) I would cut some more, but not much. The stomach fat will be the harderst to get rid off. I think you will need to bulk and cut again and maybe even that will not do the trick but it will improve it.

2.) If your genetics are telling the body to store more fat in the stomach area you will gain more there.

3.) Drink some alcohol, it can actually be good for you. Go for quality not quantity.

4.) It's great! :tu: Try to take each picture in the same position so you can track smaller changes.

8. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

You're built like I am, and you store fat in the same place, but you've done great work so far. I don't think I would change anything, that last bit of tummy fat will be the last to go. I also wouldn't add any alcohol to your nutritional plan. You're in this for the long haul, so just be patient, keep your diet in check, lift heavy, and drink your water. ;)