1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

need some help with education/career please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by The_Jackel, Nov 28, 2004.

1. The_Jackel

The_Jackel Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

i am almost nearing the end of college and have almost completed my A-levels. nows the time where you send off to universities for places and courses.

For my A-levels i am doing English Language and Literature, Sociology and Law. i intend to go to university to study for a law degree (LLB) as i quite like law and do well in it.

now heres my crisis.. i'm 17 and will be 18 in january. i show an intrest in law, but feel i really enjoy acting and feel my true passion is with acting, and i may want to attend an acting school or something similar

although another drawback is that in the UK if i miss a year, the tuition fees increase will be in operation and i will have to pay much more for university.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

#1 The_Jackel, Nov 28, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  2. The_Jackel

c'mon anyone with any thoughts or views on what i should do??? theres no wrong answer or suggestion. any advice is better than no advice. i think lol :)

3. Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My opinion is.
    Get your law degree. I think this because it will be harder to get a law degree later in life. You can start acting pretty much at any age. I know a few out of work actors but no out of work lawyers. Having a law degree would be a great fall back if you dont get into acting but it wont work as well the other way round.
    Widers

4. The_Jackel

Sound advice, thanks for your help!

5. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

IMO, get your law degree now while you can. It is more marketable and you have to find out if you have the talent to be successful as a career actor. You can also participate in community or university theatre while you are getting your education. If you find that you have the talent and opportunities to make a successful career out of acting, then you can take that route if that is where your true passions lie. If not, then you have your law degree to fall back upon.
    And the funny thing is, you may learn so much while you are at uni that you find out that you also have a passion for law. Things work out funny that way sometimes. If not, well...at least it is a marketable career, which you can't say for every career path.

6. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

I agree with what the others have said. Get the law degree now, before tuitions go up and that way if you do go into acting at a later time and it doesnt work out, you can always practice law.

I dont know how schools are over in the UK but here in the US, most colleges have drama clubs or you can take courses in drama so maybe if that offered over there you can satisfy your acting bug WHILE you attend law school.

7. The_Jackel

Thanks everyone! some very helpful advice! :)

8. rubberbandman

rubberbandman Well-Known Member

seems to me that a lot of lawyers ARE actors

9. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

There is an old saying that all lawyers are failed actors.

In my experience, it's true. I've certainly considered law, and I certainly am, as of right now, a failed actor. My dad was an attorney for a long time, but he loved nothing so much as performing in community theatre.

In Britain, perhaps it's easier, but in America, you really can't expect to make a living as an actor. Even the ones who do, even for just a little while, have a backup plan just in case. 90% of "professional" actors in America are unemployed at any given time, and the average "working" actor makes $7,000 a year. Even an enormous star like Harrison Ford, known the world over, at the pinnacle of his profession for decades, who made millions of dollars off his acting, was a professional carpenter into his thirties.

If you really want to be an actor, you need to develop some marketable skills and get a real job. Bottom line. Unless your parents support you, but not even that lasts forever.

Now, is the law a great job for somebody who wants to be an actor? No. It's terrible. If it was important to you to be an actor, almost anything else would be better. In law, the hours are endless and unpredictable, and you may even have fiduciary responsibility such that you can't quit your job even if you want to. Plus, at least in America, you generally leave law school with loads and loads of debt that really restrict your freedom in choosing what job you want to work for how long.

You can always become a lawyer first and hope to become an actor second, but you'll almost certainly have to quit law to make a go at acting, which is a very difficult thing to do, and then you're going to need another day job (with flexible and/or convenient hours) to support you while you go to auditions.

This is not a death sentence! You can be a working actor, work a day job, and be happy and prosperous. It's totally doable. You just have to understand that the happiness and confidence you get from acting need to be worth it to you to substitute them for a more lucrative or secure job.

Money can't buy the joy of becoming a character on stage or the pride of being a professional practitioner of an artistic craft. It's a transaction that's definitely worth it to a lot of people - that a minority of those who would like to act make willingly, but most do not. You have to ask, "Is it worth it to me?"

Of course, nothing is impossible, and things might be different in Britain, but I do research in the theatre for a living, so I feel pretty qualified to talk about this stuff.

This is where I say the decision to become an actor or become a lawyer is drastic and personal, and you have to make it youself.

There are a lot of books on the subject of pursuing an artistic vocation. Letters to a Young Poet is probably the most succinct and excellent, but you can probably find stuff more specifically related to working in the theatre in Britain if you look hard enough. I'll ask around the office and see if anybody knows anything useful.

10. The_Jackel

thanks for the in-depth advice pete. i guess at this moment in time, i'm just going to study hard for the exams, go to uni and get the degree under my belt, and hope for any opportunities in the future.

many thanks once again :)

11. rubberbandman

rubberbandman Well-Known Member

Funny I never thought of it before now but my dad actually majored in theatre at cornell before he ended up going to law school 15 years later...funny how that works huh?

12. vovo

vovo Well-Known Member

you need to get something marketable on paper. i think that this is most important.

but i think that it needs to be something you enjoy, i think job satisfaction is very important and the most important thing in a healthy, happy persons life. when you wake up every morning and can't wait to get to work to finish your project etc. although this is not realistic every day in the real world. enjoying what you do is.

~v

13. woodenkey

woodenkey Well-Known Member

I vote law degree also. And who's to say you can't join a local acting guild as a hobby on the side?