1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help for girlfriend.

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Nok, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Nok

Nok Active Member

Hey everyone...I got a situation I need some help with. My girlfriend of 7 years is a extremely picky eater...I'll give a run down of the only foods she eats. Potatoes cooked in about any manner. Rice...normally some types of flavored rice. Cheese Toasty (grilled cheese),any pasta's,breads,peanut butter. Really that's about it. She really doesn't eat fruit but she does like a few. (but doesn't eat them) She eats no vegetables...nothing green,no carrots,so on,and no meat products. And really only drinks at most 16oz of water a day...the rest the time she drinks pop and sometimes orange and 100% grape juice.

She has had this diet for the whole time I been with her. I try to talk her into eating better but she says there is nothing she can do since she doesn't like any other foods. Now the problem lies in the growing number of health related issues that's starting to show up.

Total lack of energy...she wants to sleep for 10-12 hours a day. She has stomach problems all the time. She is having problems focusing lately as well. Lots of body/joint pains and some other weird problems that's popping up lately. And also suffers from mild to moderate/severe depression.

She is 25 years old...she isn't over weight,but certainly not in shape either. She would like to work out. And she sometimes does (but rarely the last year) but now she just doesn't have energy to do so.

I honestly don't think she is going to change her diet....I've tried to talk to her many many times. So what I'm wondering...Is there anything she can take to help supplement her horrid diet? I give her a daily vitamin that she sometimes takes. But I know that's not enough.

I'm sorry for writing so much...but thought it best to include a decent amount of information.

So again...is there anything somebody with a horrible diet can take?

2. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I'm going to be honest here. Your girlfriend could take all the vitamins she wanted and she's still not going to feel better as vitamins are only a supplement to a already sound diet, they don't fix a poor diet.

What your girlfriend needs is to change her attitude versus handing out excuses that there isn't anything she can do about her current situation as that's bunch of B.S. If she wants to feel better, get a handle on the stomach problems and such, it's going to require her to dump her sugar habit which comes in the form of juice and soda and clean up the way she eats.

When she finally decides that she has had enough, she'll come around. Apparently she doesn't feel bad enough yet to reach that point.

I'm a vegetarian because I have to be. I was diagnosed with major food allergies last year which explains why I had been sick so much over the past 3 years. If I eat chicken or steak, I end up in the hospital with a IV stuck on my arm while being fed nasty medication like Prednisone because I can't breathe.

I suppose I could use such things as an excuse to sit on my ass and do nothing all day while eating lots of crap, but I don't. I work out 6 days a week, 3 of those days consist of lifting heavy. I had to find ways to get protein into me that my body would tolerate. It took a few months of smacking my head off the wall before I finally found the things that work. Now that I've found it, I'm losing between 1.5 - 2 pounds of fat per week.

I'm sure you're the greatest boyfriend on the planet, but you can't make her change. She has to WANT change.

3. Falhurk

Falhurk Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth.. Zilla is a smart lady. :nod:

4. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:)Your observation that your friend has been engaged in her current eating protocol for at least the last seven years does tend to indicate to me this might well be the problem. (Poor eating habits) That said however I find your comment….

equally 'curious' and find myself wondering if she has had her thyroid checked. You and she might find the links below at the least informative and perhaps the impetus for further ‘googling’ and/or a visit to her doctor. The first is a link to a thread I started after being diagnosed with 'hypothyroidism' I have included that thread because of the information several people contributed that you might find interesting............ :nod:
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=46251

http://thyroid.about.com/library/derry/bl5.htm

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidd...l/blderryb.htm

5. Nok

Nok Active Member

Zilla...

I do believe she wants to get better,but is in a very bad cycle of depression so it hard for her to get motivated. She is definitely miserable but I'm not sure her health issues are worse then her depression yet. Her depression is pretty deep rooted from her childhood.

While I do agree that it's got to be on her terms that she finally makes the choice to get healthier...I was hoping for some suggestions that she could do that might help her go the right direction.

For instance she doesn't eat meat,so is Whey a good alternative for her to supplement her diet to get the protein she needs? And is there a kind of mix (like whey) or something she could do to get the vegetables she needs?

And thanks Carole...I'm going to read the articles you posted now.

6. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Is she seeing a doctor to get the depression under control? If not, is it possible to get her to one? A lot people that have issues with depression often start to feel better one they start moving and start feeling better about themselves. If you lurk in the journal section, you'll see there are a number of people here that have dealt with depression and have either got a handle on it or are working towards getting a handle on it.

I can't have whey as I'm lactose intolerant, so I use a wheat isolate to boost my protein numbers. It's made for vegans, but I found that it has the least amount of soy ( soy doesn't agree with me either) in it compared to other isolates and only has 1 gram of sugar per serving. Some people think it has a strong wheat flavor, but I've found that it tastes better than a lot of other isolates that have a gross aftertaste because of the sweetners used in them.

If she's that reluctant to eat veggies, I suppose there are things like V8 juice, but it's really nasty not to mention has sugar added to it and she'll lose out on all the fiber that regular veggies have. How about things like sweet potato or yams? Will she eat those or does she insist that she have white potato?

My personal transition from being able to eat meat to becoming a vegetarian wasn't a good one. I was thriving just fine on scrambled eggs in the morning and having baked chicken breasts for lunch and dinner. I've never been a fan of red meat so I'd supplement to make sure that I was getting enough iron.

I don't know. I'm grabbing at straws here as I don't know what else to say. She really needs to understand what being a healthy vegetarian means so that she won't end up having more health problems later on whether it be issues related to bone density from the lack of calcium, becoming anemic because she's not getting any type protein into her and a whole other array of problems that can arise.

I supplement with a multi-vitamin, calcium with magnesium and Vitamin D, fish oil with GLA and a product called Ultra-Zyme which is just flora for my stomach so I can digest things like the wheat isolate. For awhile I was taking papaya tabs to get heartburn under control. I've since figured out what was causing it and no longer take them unless I'm having a day of indigestion.

Being a vegetarian isn't that hard. It's just a matter of doing things a little differently and understanding how to eat so that a person can function properly. I didn't want to be one of those fat vegetarians that eats junk all the time simply because a animal wasn't killed in the process. All the junk in the majority of what people call food would probably kill me first.

Good luck! If I can help, I will ,but like I said before, your girlfriend is going to want to help herself first.

7. Nok

Nok Active Member

Well she made an appointment with a doctor...so that's a good start. And she does love V8,so she drank some of that today. I seen they have v8 with added fiber so I'm going to pick some of that up. I realize that V8 might not be the best thing for her...and certainly not as good as eating vegetables,but least it's a start.

8. Nok

Nok Active Member

Carole.

After reading the first paragraph of the Thyriod article about the person explaining her symptoms. That almost is exactly the same symptoms my girlfriend is experiencing. But not the insomnia and I'm not sure about the brittle hair.

But she is going to make a list of everything and see her doctor in 2 weeks so hopefully they can figure out whats going on,and if it's perhaps more then just a poor diet.

9. Falhurk

Lies and slandor! V8 Juice is yummie.. Though, a lot of extras that you don't need ARE added. :lol:

Though, I hope we hear how it goes. Good luck! :)

10. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

:lol:

I tried a BFL type diet a couple of years ago and one of the things that was suggested I had was V8 juice. I tried it a few times and threw the rest of it out. It tasted like a aluminum can and had a slimy texture to it. :barf:

I think if people have that much of a hard time with veggies, they'd be better off investing in a good juicer. They could add whatever they wanted and it wouldn't be full of the junk that comes in the prepackaged stuff.

Nok- I'm glad to hear that your girlfriend is on her way to getting help. I agree that it's a step in the right direction. :)

11. Falhurk

How did you try it? Was it warm? I always found that it had a bit of a grainy texture to it. Not bad, just kinda grainy.

I tried it warm once.. It was gross..

Also, what is a "BFL" diet?

12. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Until she's able to go and see her doctor, I'd suggest these things, if she's up for it:
    1) omega 3 supplements - deficiency in omega 3 is associated with mood disorders. A lot of doctors will suggest this to their depressed patients, and you can get it without a prescription. In Canada, they make clear capsules called Omega-3 Joy that might help out with this. If you can't find these, then any fish oils or flax oil supplements will offer similar benefits.
    2) greens plus - Greens Plus is a 100% natural blend of 29 nutrient-rich Superfoods, Sea Vegetables and High-Energy Herbal Extracts. One serving of Greens Plus delivers more organic vitamins, essential minerals, live enzymes and high-ORAC antioxidants than 5 full servings of fresh fruits and vegetables, and provides every vibrant color in the dietary food spectrum, as recommended by the United States Department of Agriculture.
    3) For the depression, St. John's wort, which you will find in any natural food store and most drug stores. This is a perennial herb that's available in capsule form, or loose that you can make a tea from. Read the wikipedia article, and google the term for more information.

13. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

:)There can be a myriad of symptoms involved with hypo and hyperthyroidism
    http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/symptoms_hypot.pdf or as in my own case one can have none at all.

Your friend may or may not be in a euthyroid state but it is an under diagnosed disorder, owing to varying, but hopefully in future regulated, standards used. If I had knowledge of and possessed ‘typical’ symptoms for this condition, like your friend, I too would look to an MD first before I would ‘flap about’ and perhaps emotionally ‘beat myself up’ attempting to correct something that would be more appropriately addressed by thyroid supplementation.

In any event I wish you and your friend well………… :)

14. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Maybe drinking it warm was the problem as that's what I did.

BFL- Body for Life

15. Nok

Nok Active Member

Thanks everyone for the support and all the helpful suggestions. She just got done ordering some of the Green+ that Guava suggested.

16. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

I agree with the other that she should have her Thyroid checked. The stomach issues with the other symptoms could also indicate a food allergy/intolerance - they are a lot more common than the diagnosis rate. Before I was diagnosed with Celiac (Wheat/Barley and Rye intolerance) I had the same problems - extreme fatigue, severe stomach problems, muscle and joint pain and muscle weakness. I was so weak that 5 years ago I could not walk up a flight of stairs by myself - my husband had to help me. I am now back to feeling like a normal person - it took almost a year of diet change to completely heal from all the damage. Depression was a major symptom for me and still is if I eat gluten accidentally.

As far as being a picky eater - her desire to feel better will have to outweigh the desire to not try anything new. We were not big vegetable eaters when we first started, so we would "doctor" them - a little cheese, a low calorie sauce etc. until we learned to like them. Kind of like a transition diet - it is not ideal, but works and is better than eating potatoes and pasta all the time. Now we just eat them by themselves because we like them.

I hope she can start feeling better.

17. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Dude, you gotta drink V8 really cold. YUM!

18. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Nok- How is your girlfriend doing with Greens Plus?

I found another version of Greens Plus at GNC. It's called Super Foods Supreme and it's basically the same thing as Greens Plus. I wasn't willing to spend $50.00 for a container, but I did buy a few trial packets just to see if I felt any different after taking it.

I can honestly say that it does give me a little pick me up. I don't think it would give me energy to run a marathon or anything, and it does have a weird taste, but I mix it with organic juice and it's not half bad.

I hope she's feeling better and I just wanted to let you know about my own little experiment.

19. Nok

Nok Active Member

Sorry for delay in responding...she tried the Green's plus but it definitely has a different taste to it. :) We been trying to find something we can mix it in to cover the taste. We haven't actually tried Orange Juice,sounds kind of weird,but will try it. :)

Unfortunately she missed her doctors appointment...so had to reschedule. Her Appointment is April 6th,will let everyone here know what the doctors come up with. Her energy has picked up some lately. Not a a lot! but a little.