1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Need major help on getting out of bed!!!

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Melissa Dennis, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Melissa Dennis

Melissa Dennis Well-Known Member

Okay girls help me here!!!!!
    I set my alarm for 5:00a.m. to get up. I have yet to get up at that time. It is usually 6:15 befor I ever get up and then I'm mad at myself because I have to leave for work at 6:45. I have no excuses. I go to bed at 9:30 or 10:00 after I put my kids to bed, I just can't get my butt up. I haven't always been this way. I used to be an early morning riser, but since my second child was born (7 years ago), it seems that the older I get the harder it is to get up. I've tried moving my alarm clock and everything, but I just get up, turn it off, and go right back to bed!! Help!!! :eek: :eek:

2. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Why don't you try getting up ten minutes earlier each day, rather than suddenly trying to get up an hour and a half earlier? You might find it easier to adjust in increments.

Otherwise, just do it. Sounds lame I know, but that's the big secret - there is no secret. For those of us who are not morning people, you need to exert some willpower and get out of bed.

:gl:

3. Obscura

Obscura Well-Known Member

For year and years I was a "Snoozer Abuser" and I had to set the alarm as much as two hours before I wanted to get up so I could hit the snooze button several times and eventually wake.

Then the alarm just stopped waking me up... I slept right on thru.

A few months back I started taking a DMAE suppliment. I started on it because one of the side effects is lucid dreams, something I enjoy tremendously.

In addition to all sorts of adventursome and wacked out lucid dreams I find that I just get up in the morning. The alarm clock still has no effect but when my wife says "Coffee is ready." I'm out of bed within seconds.

I've also seen a productivity increase across the board. I just feel better on the stuff and I'm able to think more clearly.

More info here: http://smart-drugs.net/info-DMAE.htm

Note: I'm not saying that it does all the stuff that web page says it does... Only that it delivers on the claim of vivid lucid dreams and it helps me to get up in the morning and think more clearly all day.

If anyone else here is taking DMAE please post your experience on it.

4. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

I too have experience in this area

I am an early bird. It was only after I moved in with my boyfriend that is also a "snoozer abuser" that I found it hard to get up in the morning. I adjusted to his sleeping habits and rather than getting out of bed I just keep forcing myself to go back to sleep after each and every 10 minute alarm. What I basically did was teach my body to ignore when I wasn't sleepy anymore. I have started to feel tired at work and I have had trouble getting out of bed so I have missed morning workouts as well. I thought I wasn't getting enough sleep so I started going to bed earlier thinking this would take care of the problem. When it didn't I finally figured out what it was. I am sleeping too much! I have always functioned my best on 6 hours of sleep and now I was getting 8 or more hours of sleep a night. I was bogged down and groggy half of the day. When I started staying up until 11:30 or 12:00 it really made a difference. I was able to wake up much easier, and I find if I do not sleep past the first alarm I am much more awake. It is a battle I have to fight, but I am going to start getting up on the first alarm and waking up my snoozing boyfriend 20 minutes later. I think this will work out better for us both!

Another thing I would reccomend is to get up an hour before you normally would. Give yourself a whole hour to get up and not feel rushed. Make a cup of coffee, read the paper and watch the news or go sit on the back porch and watch the sun rise while eating breakfast. You mentioned you are a mother, so I am sure your mornings must be hectic. Try unwinding before your kids get up and I swear it makes a HUGE difference. It makes you approach your day totally differently. You will feel more relaxed and more positive. If you can't make it to the gym in the morning, take a walk outside every morning as a ritual and save the gym for later in the day (assuming you have the time). Soon you will associate these things with waking up, and you will enjoy your morning routine. I used this to get myself used to having to wake up for my early work hours. It takes a few days to get used to but, it is true that something that simple can change your life.

5. Teriliel

Teriliel Well-Known Member

How is your workout schedule? When I first started working out, I needed about 10 hours of sleep to function. I was doing cardio daily and a 4-day split on weights. It was wiping me out because I was doing too much at once. I cut my cardio back to 3 days a week and moved my weight training to a 3-day split and I can now function on 7 hours of sleep. I'm still steadily losing fat too, so don't be afraid to cut back a bit if it helps you sleep normally.

6. lauralu

lauralu Well-Known Member

The only thing that works for me in getting out of bed is putting my alarm clock out of arm's reach. Once I'm actually out of bed I don't feel the need to get back in (normally) it's just resisting the temptation to hit snooze that foils me!

I guess if you've already tried that I can't think what else to suggest!

7. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

OK, My b/f has a major problem with this. You know how you and he could fix it in an instant? CHANGE YOUR SELF TALK. When your alarm goes off, you say something to yourself in your head. My boyfriend most likely says, "Bleeping Bleep. F work. I'm going back to bed." I on the other hand hear the alarm, look at the time, grumble a little, tell myself how I feel, like crap or ok, then I roll out of bed 1.5-2 hours before I have to leave for work so I have about 30-45 min to relax before I head off to retail hell. :)

8. JennyLynn

JennyLynn Well-Known Member

I wish I had a programable thermostat like my parents. I would set it to heat up the house to 90 about 30 minutes before I wanted to get up. I find that I have a harder time getting out of bed in the morning when it's cold in the house. I like it cold when I'm sleeping, but nothing gets me out of bed like sweating under my covers.

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Ugh, yeah, that reminds me. I always had the toughest time getting out of bed in the morning through high school. Once I got to university, I finally figured out it was because I hated FREEZING myself. My dad would set the house to start warming up at 7:45, when he got out of bed. So at 7:15, when my alarm went off, it was cold, cold, cold in the house, and all I wanted to do was stay huddled under those covers.

Don't have that problem now.

10. CrysmBug

CrysmBug Well-Known Member

How safe is DMAE? It sounds too good to be true for just 4.95. Do you have any side effects?

11. Obscura

I been on it for months now and the only side effects I've noticed are the whacked out dreams... I mean CRAZY stuff.

Sample Wacked Out Dream:
    I've also seen a marked improvement in my productivity at work when I'm on the stuff and that I've had less-productive days when I run-out and haven't had time to buy a new supply. The difference is great enough so that I keep a bottle on the desk at work and one in my medicine cabnet at home.

It was a perscription drug at one time... Now it is over the counter.

There are also two different formulations out there. The better formulation is DMAE from dimethylaminoethanol bitarate.

I hop right out of bed in the mornings and that is something I have never done before.

Crazy dreams + easy to wake up in the morning = WINNER :-)

12. rhelt100

rhelt100 Well-Known Member

You've convinced me. I've just ordered one bottle and I'll give it a try for the 50 days until I run out. You take 2 a day, right?

13. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

I'm going to try it too. I'll let you know if either a lion or Luke Perry shows up in my neighbor's yard. ;)

14. Obscura

I take 3 250mg capsules daily. One in the morning... one after lunch... one before bed.

This is the stuff I buy, it is $10.99 on the web site but I get it for $6.50 at the HEB grocery store. :-)

#14 Obscura, Apr 8, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2004