1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with fast food cravings

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by DrChimRichalds, Feb 16, 2011.

1. DrChimRichalds

DrChimRichalds Active Member

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.I've been working out regularly for about a week now and am following Men's Health Testosterone advantage plan. I like it and it's worked before me in the past, and want to give it another shot. Well I have been good so far but I get these really strong cravings toward the evening for fast food. Has anyone else had a similar problem like this and if so how did you go about dealing with it? Thanks everyone!

2. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

Just say no. Within a few weeks I'll bet they will fade away. Eat something healthy and your hunger should go away.

3. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Yup nothing better then time.

4. needachange

needachange Active Member

If you don't have a problem with gorging when you eat the fast food, why deprive yourself?

IMO if you have a diet you hate or have a hard time sticking to and deprive yourself you are more likely to fail and even possibly binge. There is no reason you cannot still eat the things you enjoy while cutting. I'm not saying eat all crap food for your whole diet. I'm just saying you can still fit "unclean foods'' into your regular diet.

If you want fast food or whatever just make sure it still fits in your calorie range for the day.

5. ZillaB

ZillaB Active Member

Drawing from my own personal experience, the cravings start to kick in only when I let myself get really hungry. If I keep eating 5-6 small meals a day without having a large gap in between any of the meals I'm fine. If I have a 4-6 hour gap between meals I really start craving fast food and candy bars.

So from your post, you say your cravings are during the evening. Are you letting yourself get REALLY hungry around that time? Do you have large gaps in between meals?

6. Gskarr

Gskarr Active Member

i usually stuffed my self with 400 cc of protein shake + some almonds or peanuts or protein bar.

7. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Not sure if you still struggle with this, but I do have a suggestion. Understand I was a skeptic before this so this isn't coming from someone that has believed in it forever. My views are typically what I call "down to earth" and I don't go for the holistic approach ever, really.

Cravings at night are actually anxiety and not hunger. It is related to the stress you feel and your craving of a routine rather than a need for sustenance. So this means you have to change how you think. The problem is, most people can't just change that.

I was seeing a doctor when I started a nutrition plan here in Costa Rica. When I went to her office, she said she was going to do acupuncture in my ears to relieve the evening cravings. I thought she was nuts. I told her "no thanks". She said it was part of the protocol. So she put these tiny little things with a little round skin-colored band-aid in two positions on my ears. She prescribed I keep them in for 4 days and then remove them. I saw her every two weeks.

My plan was to simply remove them when I got home. I mean, how would she know, right? However I typically follow a doctor's advice unless it seems completely wrong and these things didn't hurt or anything. They weren't even noticeable. Since I did want to go back to her I didn't want to lie and say "Yeah I did what you said" when I didn't. So I left them in. For 6 weeks I continued this routine thinking it was purely nuts.

The interesting thing was, my late-night cravings really did go away. Completely. That was a year ago. I find myself craving at night again and I am actually thinking about getting it done once more. It still feels kind of nuts and I only half believe in it. However if the late night cravings are just too much and you want to try something different, go see an acupuncturist. They will know exactly what to do.

If you are like me, late night cravings are the "only" problem I have with adhering to my diet. If I fail, it is always something I eat late at night. I rarely ever fail during the day.

8. rollcast

rollcast Active Member

There is also the option of a "cheat" meal one day a week, where you eat anything you want, within reason. Opinions on these vary, as do results, depending on what you want to achieve. Some will say eat whatever you want. Others will say cheat a little during the day, as long as it fits with your calorie/macro counts. Some will tell you that cheat meals are over-rated.

Right now, I'm really trying to get leaner than I ever have in my life, so I don't have a cheat meal built in to my plan anywhere. Up until tow weeks ago, I lost 40 pounds with a cheat meal every Friday night, where I would eat pizza and wings. (my two biggest cravings!) I found that one; my appetite had shrunk, so I couldn't eat as much as I used to, and two; it was easier to eat right during the week knowing that I would be able to let off steam on Friday.

If you are just going for overall health, one meal a week will not hurt you at all, and in fact might help you keep a "cleaner" diet b/c you are not totally depriving yourself of foods you enjoy.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!