1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help on a new bike and some random questions

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by akm3, Apr 15, 2014.

1. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

All,

So I'm planning to upgrade my current 2005 era Specialized Sirrus commuter bike for a real road bike...with comfortable handlebars instead of those horrible blasted flat bars. I'd like to get nicer components too as mine was very base model.

I am having a hard time choosing between aluminum / carbon / titanium. I love the lightness and cost of Aluminum, but hate the harsher ride and when it breaks it breaks spectacularly.

I love the lightness and smooth ride of carbon but hate the cost and when it breaks, it will likely kill me.

I love the reliability, strength and ride of titanium but really hate the cost and slight increase in weight.

I know these aren't new questions! I'm thinking carbon is my best bet but I hit some big potholes and gravel roads in my commute and worry about what happens when (not if) I crack the frame.

I don't know the pros and cons of steel other than 'heavier' - my current bike is steel ("chromoly" ? I think that's a fancy way to say steel)

That's my decision point 1.

Decision point two is on componentry. I'm thinking the 105 series might be the best compromise between cost and performance. I'd really like the fancy electronic shifters and I *could* afford it but don't know if I SHOULD afford it. I don't ride that much, don't race, don't do group rides, it seems overkill for me.

I like disc brakes because I often have to ride in the wet and have a couple very steep hills where I get up above 40mph with traffic around.

I don't want to buy an entry level or lower mid level bike and then have upgraditis in a year or two. But I also don't want to drop $5k+ on a bike that is just ridiculously over kill for me.

Also, I'm a data junky and want all the metrics to go in Strava. If I get a stages power meter that takes care of cadence and power right? A heart sensor for BPM, and then a speed sensor built into something like a garmin 510 and I'm good right? That's "all" the metrics I can measure right?

Is there anything else I'm missing, or advice, or other things I should be considering?

Also, I'm buying from a local bike shop as I don't have the wrench skills yet. I'm probably going to be at a Specialized dealer if that guides any recommendations.

Finally, I don't know what I should be wanting for my gear choices, two ring, three ring, compact, I don't really understand when and why I would want one over the other. I'm 60lbs overweight so being a 'weight weenie' is laughably wasteful for me. Laying off the trail mix could be a more dramatic improvement than shaving grams off anything on my bike would be.

Thank you in advance

2. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

Well, to close the loop and after much consideration I ended up with a Cannondale CAAD10 3 Ultegra. It is aluminum but feels as light as many carbon frames (but not as light as the VERY high end carbon frames)

I'm very impressed with it! Along with it, I also got a Garmin Edge 510, my first set of clipless pedals and shoes, and I couldn't be happier. I'm hoping to get many miles on this thing.

Still remaining to buy: Stages power meter and Kurt Kinetic trainer! (i wonder where I was inspired from…hmmm)

Anyway, I have an FSA SL-K crank which is carbon, and I know the Stages requires metal arms. Does anyone know if I can buy the stages FSA crank and run mis matched cranks or is that bad ?