1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help for a fitness test

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by CL117, Sep 14, 2006.

1. CL117

CL117 Well-Known Member

I have a fitness test in a couple days, Saturday (9/16) to be exact. I have to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes. I only had a few weeks to get ready for it and its really not that difficult to do. I am a bigger guy, 5'11, 215, ~14%bf.... I always do cardio, but I HATE jogging. So I am a bit unprepared for this. Im have been practicing everyother day and some days I can make the time and other days I am about 30 seconds- 1 minute off. I know that I can "will it" the day of the actual test, so im not THAT worried about it but I just want to give myself the best chance to pass the test....

My questions are... Should I run today and tomorrow, then test on Saturday? Or run today, take off tomorrow, and test Saturday? Or maybe just take off until the test and rest my legs? Also, is there something I should or shouldnt eat before (carb up or empty stomach)?

Thanks in advance

2. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I would do a very short but pretty intense interval workout today, then rest, maybe easy walking the day before for an hour or so. Optimally, you would have been doing the intervals yesterday. So don't go overboard today. Next time ask when there is more than two days to play with. A program to make running more enjoyable would normally go for a few weeks.

3. CL117

CL117 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. As I said, it wasnt until 2 weeks ago that I found out I had to take the test...so I have been doing the best I can with the time I have. Prior to today, I have been alternating everyother day between, straight jogging on a track and a hill program on a treadmill. All I have to do is pass, and im sure I can get buy on will power alone..as 1.5 miles in 12 min is not THAT hard to do.

What should or shouldnt I eat the day of, and the day before? Some people have been telling me to carb up starting now. Is that a good idea? My view was that im not exactly running a marathon here...I have a feeling that what I eat is not really going to make much of a difference considering the short distance i'll be running.

4. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Carb up now sounds like "carbohydrate loading". If you were doing that then you would have been going very low on carbs for the previous two or three days. Did you?

Shifting the diet towards carbs from now until the test makes sense. Don't overeat that much, if at all. A big pasta type meal about 12 hours before would make sense to me; it might make sense for you.

It's definitely advisable to have carbohydrates in the meal a few hours before the test.

One of the tricky things about this is that we don't have the previous couple weeks to find out how you respond to carbohydrate loading. It can have side effects.

5. CL117

CL117 Well-Known Member

I have just been following my regular diet of 40/40/20. What I meant was "carb load".

An excuse to have pasta sounds good to me. I usually get my carbs from brown rice, oats, and fruit(sometimes)...so pasta will be a nice change. I think whatever I do, I will keep it light and hope for the best. :tucool:

6. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

I always felt like beans were my magic energy food. I'd probably throw down a can of Van de Kamp's an hour or so before the run. And definitely drink some water beforehand, perhaps 1 Liter in the hour before. I think the key will be pacing properly.

7. Blob

Blob Well-Known Member

Beans ARE a magic fruit

8. Maxtor

Maxtor Active Member

How did you get on?