1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help cutting...

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by JDecker, Jun 7, 2008.

1. JDecker

JDecker Active Member

I've had trouble in the past cutting fat.

Not sure if what's going on. Am I a genetic freak? But I can never seem to get below 16% BF. Which is still high. No matter how hard I work or how clean I eat. I usually lose hope @ around week 8.:bang:
    I'm looking to try again but I want to get my workouts and diet dialed in before starting. The goal is to get to 9%.

Advice is welcome.:tucool:

My info:
    Work Outs: 1 Hour Cardio Morning / 1 Hour Weight Training Night (push pull) / 6 days a week
    Fuel: 2800-3300 calories / 330g protein / 280g carbs / 95gfat
    6 times a day. Cheat day and rest Sunday
    Supps:
    Creatine CEE
    Multi-Vitamin
    Whey Protein
    Glutamine Complex
    EFA's
    CLA

2. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hi JDecker, welcome to JSF. :)

You may have some genetic limitations, you may have a harder time dropping fat than others, but that does not mean you cannot do it. It may mean you need to work harder, but it IS possible for you to lose fat. :)

I would suggest though that you post your entire diet in detail, your entire weightlifting routine in detail too. Give us something to work with. We'll try to help you out.

3. ZJC

ZJC Active Member

When you hit plateaus in fat loss, do you adjust your caloric intake? Having a "cheat meal" each week, rather than a "cheat day" might also allow you to progress faster. Personally, I tried "cheat days" about 5 years ago and found that it was hindering my fatloss.

4. kevin_in_ga

kevin_in_ga Active Member

Your cutting at ~3000 cals a day? Based on your weight, I would use 2300-2500, and I would build in at least two or three rest days in your lifting cycle to permit recovery.

Cut back on the carbs if cutting is your goal - I would redo your macros at 45P/30C/25F. For 2500 calories that translates to 280 gm protein, 187 gm carbs, and 70 gm fats.

5. JDecker

JDecker Active Member

Thanks 1FastGTX.

Thank you for reminding me that I CAN lose fat.

I need to stay focused in my training and make changes until I find what works for my body. The goal at the moment is to get my nutrition/ cardio /weight training dialed in and start a new 10WK cutting program on 6/16/08. So I have about a week to get it all together.

6. JDecker

JDecker Active Member

I tried to take it as low as 2700 per day. Not sure if that is part of my problem. I calculate my BMR to be around 3600 per day. I've been told to reduce that # by approx. 500 for fat loss.

I will modify the cheat day to a cheat meal with my new plan.

7. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You're welcome. :)

How did you do, and how did you feel, when you dropped to 2700? Personally I would not recommend you go that low just yet, but opinions vary on this topic. I would prefer to see you start out on the higher end and slowly reduce calories as needed over time. Of course this will make the progress slower, but in my experience it seems to work better this way (physically and mentally; it's easier to slowly lower calories rather than drop them dramatically from one day to the next).

It's up to you though. I don't think 2700 is dangerously low, I just like to start high and work down.

8. Joel V.

Joel V. Active Member

Your caloric intake is too high. Drop it a feew hundred more and you will lose it!

9. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

I agree with Joel V and 1fast, both have good/direct advice.

Also remember it's not just about calories in totality, but the reality of it is WHAT those calories are comprised of. That makes all the difference in the world, as does when certain foods (protein/carbs/fats) are consumed, with what, why, how much, etc.

Joel V worked w/me in having me construct a customized SGX approach for him (one of the protocols I offer that are customized to each person) and told me that he learned a lot about his body and what he responds best to, what he can/cannot do, etc.

I am still amazed at what you accomplished on SwoleGenix Joel, you are truly one of the most motivated and consistent clients I have ever assisted, and that is entirely evident via your pictures above. It was a pleasure working w/you and I hope you are still implementing what you've learned and are enjoying your new physique. You seriously look like a totally different person.

Sorry to get off topic a bit, but 1fastgtx's suggestion of starting high and lowering over time based on results is also what I'd encourage.
    If you start too low, you will feel lethargic, run the risk of losing muscle, cannot drop any further caloric wise even if the metabolism slows because lowering even more will only slow the metabolism even more.
    So, start higher then reduce as you see fit.

If you stay motivated and trying, no matter if things work right away or not, you will still be moving in a positive direction. Good luck to you!

:tucool:

~SC~

10. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

I'd definately drop calories down to 2350 a day and cut out ALL cheat meals. You either do this, or you don't!

11. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah, but he's 6'5", which is quite different from someone who is 5'10" and 235 pounds.

I don't think you can put target calories based only on a person's weight. You have to consider also that person's goal weight and what time frame they are looking at. A person with a higher proportion of body fat can cut at a larger deficit, but for a person who's at 16% body fat, or within 10 pounds of his goal weight, I think an 1100-1300 calorie deficit from nutrition alone is just too large.

I expect that the cheat day is the problem.

12. kevin_in_ga

kevin_in_ga Active Member

I'm basing this estimate on my own experience - I am 6'4" and was at 235 only a few months ago. I reduced my calories to 1900-2100 a day, with cardio every day and 4x lifts per week. I lost 40 lbs, of which 35 was fat (based on both tape measurements and BIA). I am assuming that the rest was fluid lost as part of the overall weight reduction. Pics are here:

[​IMG]

That being said, my estimates are still valid. At 2500 calories per day, he will lose a respectable 2 lbs of fat per week.

And yes, I also suspect that the cheat day is a problem, but there is also the larger context that he is consuming more than he needs to if he wants to cut at anywhere near a respectable rate.