1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Need a pullup bar that attached to ceiling

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by wisedude, Jul 7, 2007.

1. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

I don't have any free doorways to mount a bar, so I'm wondering if there is a chinup bar that I can screw directly into the ceiling. There's a lot of room in my basement, so now I really want one. Any advice would be appreciated

2. MacBurglar

MacBurglar Well-Known Member

3. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

alright, thanks man and welcome to the community :) I'm honored that your first post was helping me ;)

4. webfit2

webfit2 Active Member

Equipment for Pull ups

We have this piece equipment at our gym which is amazing for pullups. It's called an Equalizer and can be used for other exercises as well. Here's the website that lists exercises, programs, etc. that we use in our boot camp: http://www.lebertequalizer.com.

5. profdlp

profdlp Well-Known Member

What is your ceiling like? If it's a finished drywall or tile ceiling you will find it harder to get something cheap and easy than if it's an unfinished basement ceiling.

If it's the latter, I can tell you what I did when I lived in my old house. :)

6. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

it's unfinished, I think it's concrete. It'll be a bitch to drill holes in there but I've done it before, so I know it's doable. What'd you do?

7. profdlp

profdlp Well-Known Member

I lived in a brick house with wood framing in the flooring. My home gym (how I miss it!) was in the basement. The ceiling was unfinished and 2X8 boards holding up the first floor. What I did was drill a couple 1.75" holes through several of the 2X8's, then run a 1.5" diameter lead pipe through them. The pipe was threaded and I attached a couple of pipe caps on each end to keep it from sliding sideways.

Total cost: About $8 and five minutes of my time to drill the holes and put it together.

A concrete ceiling is going to be tough. Frankly, I wouldn't trust any of the typical anchors available to hold any kind of load like that.

There are inexpensive bars available to fit across a doorway. I have used one of those in the past and had luck with it. The best kinds come with a pair of brackets which you attach to either side of the jamb.

If you have the space, something like this would be great. You can do dips and hanging leg raises on it, too:

http://www.home-gym-exercise-equipment.com/products.asp?sid=13

EDIT: Sorry - I forgot that you didn't have a free doorway. Since you mentioned that you have plenty of space, I'd go with the stand. For $95 bucks you'll be glad you saved the aggravation (not to mention the risk) of trying to get something attached solidly to a concrete ceiling. :)

#7 profdlp, Jul 8, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  8. johnhoefer

johnhoefer Active Member

You don't need a free doorway. Get the door gym. It is the best chin-up bar ever. I hide it under my bed when I am not using it. It uses leverage to hold itself up so there are no holes to drill. I am 6'2" 240 lbs and use it just fine.

you can find it at www.doorgym.net. Just don't buy any of thier other stuff. But you can look at them for a good laugh. One is the Rug Runner cardio waste of time and space and the other is a flex bar, which looks beyond rediculous. But despite the other garbage they sell, the doorgym is top notch and can hold up to 300 lbs.

9. RagingHulk

RagingHulk Active Member

My setup is somewhat like pro's. I went to the plumbing section of Home Depot and bought a 4' length of 1" threaded pipe (I suggest 1" or 3/4" whichever feels best for you). I also got 2 x 90" elbows, 2 x 6" threaded pipes, and 2 x flange end pieces. When assembled, it looks like a very shallow "U", with the flange having holes to bolt to the joists.

The 4' exactly fit across two joists in my basement. I could only use 2 lag screws per flange, but it is rock solid.

Before assembly, I also got a length of 1" pipe insulation from HD to add some padding. I had to soap up the pipe to get the insulation to slide down the whole length. It has held up well so far, but if you don't like the feel of it, you can get some cloth tape to wrap the bar.

If your basement ceiling is concrete, it will complicate matters, but there are bolting systems designed specifically for concrete.

Good luck.

10. webfit2

webfit2 Active Member

Pull up bar - Lebert Equalizer

I haven't posted for awhile on here but just wanted to let people know that I have an instructor discount coupon code (080306) for $10.00 off Lebert Equalizer if anyone was looking to buy one online (not sure if it has an expiry date). http://www.lebertequalizer.com. Still using my set and love it (although my participants hate it!).

11. 1ply

1ply Active Member

Funny I should be reading this today - I just installed one in my basement this afternoon.

Basically I had a couple scrap pieces of 1/4" steel plate drilled to accomodate the 1-1/4" heavy steel bar (also scrap), put five screws through the plate and joists, slid the bar through and voila, one chin up bar.

For your situation, depending on the height of your ceiling I'd make a simple L bracket with a hole cut out to fit the bar. If you had a couple of 3/16 x 3" concrete screws holding up each end that should be sufficient. If you're really worried, make the bracket wider (say 5" ) and use three screws in each.

If anyone's interested in what my bar looks like PM me and I'll post up a link (but first I need to take a picture so if nobody PM's I don't need to take one :) )

Good luck and let us know how it goes.