1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

NCNBilly's Waterbury 10/10 Transformation

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by NCNBilly, Mar 19, 2008.

1. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

I purchased the eBook yesterday and have read the 12 week program. I'll be tracking my progress for all to read. I'm just coming off a bulk (10 week) but I've been sick and unable to lift the past week. I felt I could really stand to add more muscle mass, but I've put on too much fat since December. This seems like a good program to try, and at $20 I don't have much to lose.

Overview: The program consists of 4 3-week programs, alternating cutting and bulking. I won't go in to the specifics because it is a copywritten program. There's nothing really "new" in the program, but it's the programming itself that's different. We'll see if it can deliver..

Starting weights:

175lbs @ ~11.5%BF
    Lean:154.875
    Fat:20.125

Goals, per the program
    175lbs @ ~6%
    Lean 164.875
    Fat 10.125

The goals are a pretty tall order in my opinion. Knowing what I know about my body, I'd be happy with a 5/5 transformation which would put me at 175lbs @ ~8.5%

Either way, this is going to be my "summer weight" and I'll consider bulking again in the fall if time and family allow.

EDIT: Waffled a bit on doing this, finally starting 7/14/08 with a slightly modified version. Page 4ish...

#1 NCNBilly, Mar 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

I purchased it a month ago as well. I won't be able to do it right now but I was curious to see if it would work. Especially at the leaner stages wich you kind of are already in. Losing 50% of your fat with the prescribed diet seems a little far fetched. I'll be watching closely. But like you said even a 5/5 gain is pretty good. Good luck

3. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

This sounds interesting. I'll be dropping by to see how you progress with this.

Edit: I just purchased this as well so I can know what you're doing.

#3 woodan, Mar 20, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  4. NCNBilly

The program is "meant" for the average person with 16% or higher BF, which is why my realistic goal is 5/5. I don't think I can get sub 7% again with 2 3-week cuts, but hey - I'm game to try. Considering the amount of money I've spent on SGX (which was totally worth it) a $20 is no big deal.

Glad for people watching. I'm anticipating starting on Monday with Phase 1. I should see some nice weight loss right away since I've been sick and eating whatever I think I can digest (mmm carbs) - but it'll be a lot of water I suspect. The second cut will be the true test of the program...

5. Nowhereman

Are you getting the supplements for it? The Acai juice is expensive, one of the reasons I'm not to thrilled about the whole program, and I would be going through 2 bottles, if I follow the reccomendations.

6. odin1642

odin1642 Active Member

If half a pound of muscle a week is the max that can be added without juicing (so you read anyway), that would mean 6 pounds muscle max added in the 12 week programme so maybe the 10 pounds is a bit of marketing hype.

I'm sure you'll get some great results on it anyway even if the 10lbs isn't possible. :gl:

7. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

That's dry muscle. You can allow extra weight for the added glycogen that muscle can store... but agreed, adding 5lbs in 3 weeks does seem like a tall order.

I've read through the pdf now and I gotta say I'd prefer a few more specifics on the diet side of things. Especially, the bulking phases, it doesn't sound like nearly enough food. Maybe I should read it again.

Still once I'm done on this current phase I will probably be carrying a few extra pounds so it'll be worth a try. Like you say, it's only $20. Plus I'll get to see how your progress goes first.

8. NCNBilly

I had the exact same thought - the calories seem a little low on the bulk, and really low compared to SGX for cutting, but Chad is a pretty smart dude. My guess is he's going for some type of carb cycling modification. I'd be a little more comfortable with some macro ratios and amounts based on current lean weight rather than a "palm size amount" of this or that.

I'm going to use goji berry juice rather than Acai juice since I have goji berries (planted them at the old house, they'll grow anywhere!)

I'll be watching my BF% pretty carefully, if I notice something awry I'll adjust as need be.

9. NCNBilly

Just finally calculated out the calories based on his loose nutritional plan. F-that. Without giving away specifics, it's simply not enough food for me, especially coming right off a bulk.

I'm going to shoot for 2400 cals on the cut weeks and 2900 on the bulk. I just put my plan together for today, and it came out to 1600 cals - that's a disaster waiting to happen. I just spent 3 months putting on lean mass, I don't want to lose it overnight.

10. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to try this in about 8-12 weeks time and I'll probably do what your doing. Seeing as diet is meant to be 80% of training I don't understand how he can be so vague about it. I've improved my diet a great deal over the last year to a point now where I can finely tune it. I think I'll take on some of his ideas but I'll just be a little more specific about things. And like you say, even if you only lose 5lbs of fat and only gain 5lbs of muscle that's still a pretty good result.

11. NCNBilly

Yep, definatly going with the SGX eating plan for the cut weeks, and I'll increase the carbs as he suggests on the bulking weeks - although I'll go for more brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.. fruit is great, but it's still just sugar carbs.

I'm still surprised that there aren't any real testimonials of "success stories" - or even people being on the 10/10 at all... Oh well, I'm happy to be somewhat of a guinea pig.

This is basically going to be an SGX nutrition with waterbury workout plan - I think it has a much better chance of 10/10 than eating 1200 cals/day.

12. NCNBilly

I've got DOMS like you wouldn't believe, so i missed my cardio yesterday. I'm quite bloated, and Monday's workout was the first in about 2 weeks. It was a max effort circuit, which really kicked my ass (Pull ups, decline BB press, and deadlift) with very little rest between exercises and sets.

I did not have the energy to do cardio yesterday, probably because I'm readjusting to low carbs. I'm used to this, and it should be gone by next week. I'm looking forward to todays workout, it's a medium effort circuit based on Zercher squats. Having just done Starting Strength and doing squats 3X a week, it'll be nice focusing on hitting them hard once a week. Old people (is 33 old?) don't recover like that.

Diet has been spot on, as is demanded by the SGX protocol.

I'm kinda torn, now that I'm back on the SGX I want to just shed the fat i've got and be ready for summer (and the baby coming June 24th). I really only have maybe 15 lbs i can lose. I think I'll check my weight on Saturday and adjust from there. I need to take pics too. I'm definitly more soft in the mid section than I want to be, but I think a bulk was necessary after seeing what I looked like at 163lbs.

13. NCNBilly

Bailing on this program. I don't have the gear to do the circuits properly, so I'm going back to the SGX lifting too. Circuits suck and don't seem to do anything for me except make me exhausted from a cardiovascular workout. I'd much rather feel exhausted from the lifting.

30 seconds rest seems counter productive. i can't recover fast enough to really get a good lift in, maybe that's the point, but it makes my workouts unejoyable.

I'm not wussing out, hell -the SGX workouts are HARD. Today is leg day - 5 x 20 squats, here I come. I finally have my lifting shoes (VSAthletics) so I'm really pumped for today!

14. Nowhereman

Well good luck. I would like to do my SGX protocol but I can't really do all the workouts right now. In fact I might not be able to do them until September. Leg day was awesome. SGX rocks:guitar:

15. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

They aren't fun to most, but there is a point. They really raise metabolism and increase work capacity for other stuff. Incomplete rest and full body work definitely gives me good results.

I actually really like that stuff. Having the mental toughness to push through that point where you can't even count your reps very well brings a sense of satisfaction with myself along with quick results and rapid increases in work capacity. I work in stuff like this between strength phases to allow me to do more work on the strength/growth weeks.

16. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Well, this sucks. I was relying on you to be my guinea pig. Guess I'll just have to try it first hand and see how it goes.

17. odin1642

odin1642 Active Member

My own suspicion from experience is that low cal is not the way to go.

At the same time apparently this whole "starvation mode" thing is highly questionable and largely based on unsubstantiated conjecture. I've read that in actual fact the body can go for quite a while on low cal without the metabolism lowering.

With that in mind, I'm tempted to try a 1200 cal a day diet for a month to shed some fat. :cool:

It should be fairly easy to tell via lifts in the gym whether muscle is being shed. I suspect it may be possible to maintain lifts and muscle mass for one month on 1200 cals a day, and shift a shitload of fat in the process.

18. NCNBilly

Sorry woodan, gotta go with a program that I know works. I still don't see how you can bulk on the bulking weeks while still in a calorie deficit..

19. Nowhereman

Me too :nod:...:(
    Hmm:confused:...maybe Waterbury has Humongous hands and that is why the portions fit well. I guess the nutrition plan would not be for the woman who has "man hands"

20. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

From the pic on his website it looks as though he has quite small hands.

http://www.chadwaterbury.com/

Maybe it's only meant to be 900kcals a day :eek: