1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

nausea from protein shake

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Chim-Chim, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

When I first started drinking my protein shake my stomach would hurt a little but would go away within half an hour. Now I am terribly sick to my stomach and I know that it is the shake. The days I don't drink it I am fine. Does anyone know why this happens or what it is from? Please help before I barf on my co-workers! :o

2. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

Eww!

Sounds like the shake doesn't agree with you! I'd drop it. No need to take in a protein shake, especially not if it makes you sick!

Jeremy

3. simon.karlsson

simon.karlsson Well-Known Member

Me too!

I´ve felt the exact same thing as you´re describing in your post, I first thought I was allergic or something, but I think a trick is to drink it slowly, or perhaps try another brand...? I´m gonna go and buy another brand than the one I´m currently using sometime next week, til then I´ll just have to hope I won´t spew it up :), that could end up rather naasty in the gym, hehe :p

4. Chim-Chim

You know with some of the people I encounter at the gym, maybe projectile vomiting from the treadmill isn't such a bad thing! :tu:

5. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

I only felt sick from a protein shake once. I mixed it with water instead of soymilk and I felt awful. I have no idea why it happened but I have never mixed it with water again! What are you mixing your protein with?

6. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

I know I am a broken record, but check to see if it has aspartame of sucralose in it. Some people react badly to it, so that might be your problem. If its unflavored whey then obviously it isnt, but why not check?

7. simon.karlsson

simon.karlsson Well-Known Member

home made protein chocolate

Well I have the unflavored kind, but then I added clean cocoa and loads of aspartame to make it taste nice.. finally i mixed it with half water half milk.. perhaps it was the aspartame that made the reaction. :o

8. Chim-Chim

Barfing Sports Shake

I know this sounds dumb but could it be from drinking it too fast? I chug mine and maybe that is the problem. By the way it does have sucralose in it so that could be the problem too. Either way, I am going to try a new brand. Any suggestions? I use designer whey right now.

9. CTHayes

CTHayes Well-Known Member

mix with milk instead of water...?

I've never had a problem when I mixed my whey protein with nonfat milk (and a few pieces of frozen fruit), but the other day I decided to "cut the calories" and mix it with water. That's the only time I felt nauseaus after drinking it. Glad to know it's not just me. I'll be mixing it with milk from now on.

10. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

I work with a guy who is severely allergic to aspartame. He vomits uncontrollably if he consumes even a small amount. I never thought of that when it comes to protein shakes. I know your really opposed to artificial sweetners. Is splenda as bad as the rest of them?

11. fitfreak12

fitfreak12 Well-Known Member

illness

i too get sick from protein shakes! even the days i dont workout i get real sick... when i first started taking it i was fine but now im sick for most of the day... so i dropped it, ive tried other brands and different types, like whey and soy... i just gave up on it and resorted to low fat cottage cheese=)

12. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

I am basing the following on no leads or studies: I would guess Splenda might be a little better since it at one point was sugar.

You could try some rice protein. I just got some today, havnt tried it yet though. Ill post with you guys in a few weeks when Ive decided if I like it or not.