1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

"natural" milk

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by MT77, Jun 4, 2012.

1. MT77

MT77 Active Member

Went to whole foods yesterday for the first time, and picked up a 1/2 gallon of Calder's "natural" milk. It is pasteurized to the legal minimum and not homogenized. They advertise it as "not quite straight from the cow but the closest thing". I have to shake it up before I drink it because being non-homogenized, it does separate and the cream does rise to the top.

Its got a unique smell & taste, but I kinda like it. Anyone else tried this or similar?

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

There is a diary in Rehoboth delaware that I have been buying milk from. Comes in a glass jar and is pasteurized but not homogenized. The milk is usually from that morning it is so fresh. Even after a week in the fridge (not that it lasts that long), it is so much better tasting than the stuff from a store. :drool: I need to find a diary in NJ that sells direct to the public.

Not sure how that compares to the natural milk at whole foods.

3. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Unless you're wanting to skim your own cream what's the point of not homogenizing?

4. MT77

MT77 Active Member

No nutritional reason I can think of. I just thought it was neat to experience it.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

There are two camps on homogenized milk, one camp says it is evil the other says no proof to it being evil. Here is a link with summaries of both.

http://milk.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000808

There is also a lot of people who think non pasteurized (raw) milk is healthier if you can find a reliable source. Too risky for me.

I don't know about the health benefits one way or the other. I just find that non-homogenized milk tastes better. Maybe it is the freshness, glass bottle, and the care taken by the small local farmer but yummy is the result.

6. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I happily eat non pasteurized cheese. The only milk I have is the bit in my oatmeal so I'm not too bothered on that.

7. dbrian

dbrian Member

idk about that. I'd rather just get milk from the store so I don't have to worry about any stomach issues.

8. Azure

Azure Active Member

There are reasons for pasteurized milk. Valid reasons. Impossible to serve the whole world with milk if you don't pasteurize it.

But, if you can get clean milk that isn't pasteurized, I do believe it is more healthy for you. Raw milk is better. Is there anything to back that up? Not sure. Just going from personal experience.

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Where? I'm in Dewey all the time over summer (might even be this weekend), and would check that out.

Jaer
    also just got a Whole Foods near enough to make shopping there possible. Whole new worlds opening up!

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Rehoboth Diary is on Holland Glade road behind the Seaside Outlets about 1 mile from Rt 1. It is also know as Rustic Acres. I believe they have a facebook page which would have an address. Check both Rehoboth Diary and Rustic Acres on facebook.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

While pasteurization might destroy some good bacteria or enzemes it definitely destroys the bad ones. I'll stick with pasterization unless the diary can prove through testing of my bottle that it is safe.