1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Natty PB question

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Bart001, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Bart001

Bart001 Well-Known Member

I found an old (well not THAT old) jar of natty PB in the cupboard. Of course, it had a good layer of oil on top. I can stir it for quite a while but the oil never does seem to mix all that well and it seems like I'm eatting too much of the oil.

How DO you natty PB people deal with it? I like the no-sugar-no-salt-added taste, but the oil slick is kind of bothering me. Is there a trick I'm missing?

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

You have to stir it deep into the jar to get it to mix well, and it takes a bit of time the first time. Then, you put it in the fridge and seperation will be minimal. Also, some brands are better than others it seems.

Somebody even posted here about a crank you can screw on the lid to mix with I think. Search around.

Other than that, you can try the Skippy natural stuff. It has palm oil in it, so it doesn't separate as much. I use that when I'm traveling and can't keep it in the fridge all the time. It also isn't as good for you because it has some sugar.

3. BreakingPoint

BreakingPoint Well-Known Member

I just ignore the oil, dip my spoon in and eat it. When I put it in the fridge for a night or two, the oil conjoins with the butter and there's no more messy stuff.

4. TylerGred

TylerGred Well-Known Member

I thought Skippy had the same amount of suger per serving as the Smuckers line??

Maybe I'm wrong.

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

The Smuckers doesn't have a listing for "sugar" on it's ingredients list, while the Skippy does. That Skippy adds some. Skippy has 3 g per serving, Smuckers 1 g.

Not a huge difference, and it really doesn't bother me much, but I thought I'd mention it.

6. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Skippy Natrual is the best peanut butter in the world. Better than regular Jif.

An extra 3g of sugar? I only use Natty PB once a day so I say it's worth it.

7. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

If you have it in your area, get Parker's brand. no added sugars, nothing. Really tasty. It'll be in the refrigerated section.

I was out and used some regular pb for the first time in years last week... yarrrgggg never again

8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Agreed on both points. Plus, it travels a whole lot better since it doesn't go back to oil and have to be refridgerated, and Palm Oil isn't bad for you, either.

Some are more picky around here, so I just thought I'd point it out.

Right now, I'm using an "organic" natural PB from Sams that is very creamy and pretty good. Thinner consistancy than Smuckers, which is good when blending it into shakes. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, though. I've only seen it at one Sam's, but I haven't looked again recently.

9. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Maranatha?

10. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Yes, that's it. I remembered I had another thing of it in the pantry. I'd thrown the first bottle away and put what was left into something smaller and easier to get the PB out of, so didn't have the original bottle.

11. Bart001

Bart001 Well-Known Member

Thanks all. Yes, what I have now is Smuckers. I'll put IT in the refridgerator, and when it's done I'll move on to Skippy next :tu: