1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

My wife wants my help. Which is why i seek an additional female perspective

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by darksleeper25, Mar 5, 2007.

1. darksleeper25

darksleeper25 Active Member

As some of you may already know, my wife is currently in the hospital getting ready to deliver our twin baby girls. But when i visited her yesterday, she reminded me yet again that she wants me to help her get the body she's always wanted. My question to all the ladies here is this: Is there anything I should know or have her do differently than what's broken down in the beginners forum? Things like meal frequency, macro ratios, etc.?

I know a lot of you will probably hate her for this but before she got pregnant, she was never able to break 100 pounds. She would bounce around between 96-99. She doesn't starve herself either, trust me, she can eat. Right now at 32 weeks pregnant she is about 123 pounds, all belly.

I'm pretty sure that she's about 5'-2" right now. I'll try to find a picture. She does have some excess fat on some of those "problem areas" that she wants to get rid of but I suggested to her that she first bulk and try to gain some muscle. Because I personally think that if she lost weight first, she'd look way too skinny. Like Olsen twin skinny. I know it's hard for you to give me any sort of direction about where to start without pictures and better stats but I'm just trying to get a vague starting point right now. Any advice that you could offer would be great!

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Obviously, she should tailor her program to her desired results; improved health, increased strength, greater cardiovascular health, fat loss, lowered body fat percentage, mood elevation, general well-being, etc. - each of these goals will call for slightly different strategies to follow.

I usually recommend a higher proportion of calories from carbohydrates for women, mainly as a mood regulator and to help curb cravings, since women's hormonal makeup is so different from men's. However, plenty of women say they get the best success with 40% or less of their calories from carbohydrates, as what's most frequently recommended here.

3. thepump13

thepump13 Well-Known Member

40% works wonders for my body as long as I am doing the lifting and cardio but not going overboard on either. I will say that some days I have to increase it a bit to curb the cravings (like Guava said!) With that said, at 40% the fat seems to fall off but I can preserve the muscle!

4. darksleeper25

Thank you both for your insight so far. I spoke to my wife last night because she again asked what she should do. She absolutely refuses to listen to my advice right now. She want's to lose the fat in her problem areas but refuses to beleive that it's impossible to spot-reduce fat. She keeps insisting that if she does light weights frequently, that the fat will go away or 'turn into muscle'. She's got a lot of tihngs to learn but hopefully she'll come around.

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

An interesting thing to suggest to her: it's impossible to spot reduce fat, but it's possible to spot gain muscle. I was unhappy about the proportional size of my thighs and butt, but now that my shoulders and chest are so much broader, I look a lot more balanced.

For a woman of 5'2", a healthy weight is probably closer to 110 pounds. If she's not strength training, she won't look lean at that weight. It might be difficult for her to get below a healthy weight for her frame size, because her body will be craving the extra nutrition.

Is she planning to breast feed? With her feelings, I worry about her not being healthy enough to provide what your babies will need. :(

6. darksleeper25

Yes, she plans on breastfeeding which is another reason I gave for trying to build muscle. She already has to consume a few excess calories to provide enough milk for twins so why not take advantage of it while you can since you really don't have the option to cut.

But she thinks that she's all of a sudden going to get these bigger ripped muscles and she doesn't want that. I've got a lot of coaxing to do...

7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Muscle is more dense than fat, which means fat takes up more space on the body, which means that a person with a lower body fat percentage will be smaller than a person at a higher body fat percentage at the same weight.

There have been some threads about the specific concerns of recently pregnant moms, especially in those that are breastfeeding. Take a read through them for some tips:

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=29033&

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=21913&

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=9033&

8. dawnmc

dawnmc Active Member

She needs to look after herself and her twins first (me stating the obvious). She will need to get over the post baby blues too, so she won't be in any frame of mind yet, just the one designed to annoy a hubby. Give her time.

9. henderjr

henderjr Well-Known Member

:lol: :nod:

10. Fet

Fet Active Member

Unfortunately, I don't think that there's much that youcan do.

Scratch that - yes there is! The best way to get her onside with this is for you to take charge of your soon-to-be beautiful babies, and give her some private mommy time to surf a bit and read up on this stuff herself. Dad does bathtime while Mom gets to put her feet up for a few minute and research her future health and fitness goals.

She has to buy into this herself, and, frankly, the odds of you convincing a sleep-deprived, leaky-breasted hormonal new mom into lifting heavy are slim to none. Provide her with the resources, and hope she finds her way!

11. Victoria35

Victoria35 Active Member

Updates?

Let us know what is going on. :) :gl:

V

12. Alana Calloway

Alana Calloway Active Member

Hey Darksleeper25
    Congragulations on the impending birth of your twin daughters. Like Victoria said let us know what is going on. I'll give as much advice as possible but she must let herself heal first but after that she should workout 3 days a week to get her body back and conditioned I hope my advice helped

13. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

I'm not sure if this is still relevant but the following website was a great revelation for me: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/

if your wife finds the time to browse through it she'll find a lot of useful information - also about the myths of spot-reducing fat and women gaining massive muscles...