1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

My Westside for Skinny Bastards Routine

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Nowhereman, Dec 9, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Could you guys check out my routine and see what you think. I think it is allright I did follow the guidelines. Still any comments would be useful. I got really bored with my previous workout routine and I think this will allow for more variety.

Max Effort Upper Body (Sunday)

Bench Press: Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps
    Incline Dumbell Bench Press: 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
    Bent Over Rows: 4 sets of 10-15 reps.
    Standing Face Pulls: 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps.
    Dumbell Side Bends: 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.

LOWER BODY - (Tuesday)

Deadlifts: Work up to a max set of 5 reps.
    Barbell Step Ups: 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.
    Leg Curls: 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
    Captains of Crush gripper - 3 sets of max reps each hand.

REPETITION UPPER BODY - (Thursday)

Bodyweight Dips: Work up to 3 sets of max reps, rest 60 seconds between sets.
    Skull Crushers: 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps.
    Lat Pulldowns: 4 sets of 8-12 reps.
    Dumbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
    Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 8-10 reps
    ABDOMINAL CIRCUIT TRAINING

There it is. I do have a question How would I get my max set of 3-5 reps. I know what my max is on my Bench but not with 3 to 5 reps. I previously was lifting 6-8 reps at 125, 4-6 at 130, 2-4 at 135, and 1 at 140. My actual max was 150 I could lift that much if I didn't do all these heavy sets before it. So to find my 3 to 5 set max do I get the 150 and knock off a couple of pounds or do I keep it at 135 pounds and workout my warmups up to that.

Also I had no idea what any of these exercises were so if you could shed some light on these so I could exchange them with the face pulls later that would be great. Thanks.

Seated rear delt machine
    Seated dumbbell "power cleans"
    Bent-over cable flyes (single arm)
    Rope pulls to throat
    Bent-over dumbbell rear delt flyes
    Cable "scarecrows"(shown below)

2. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Looks good to me. Personally i wouldn't use side bends thou because i already have a thick waist.

If i finally decide to use this program i'll just be working up to a max triple, 3 reps. You really don't know what your max triple is until you try it but "generally" your 3RM is %90 of your 1RM but these numbers should change every week using ME training. Try to increase the load or add another rep to your triple the following week and then switch your ME excercise.

3. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Looks like the standard template to me. No complaints.

I would add in 4th day (Repetition Lower) after 8-12 weeks if I were you.

Search through the "Ask Joe" section.

Also, try going to www.google.com, then click on "Advanced Search." Now type in your search phrase. Now go down to where it say "Only return results from the site or domain" and put in "defrancostraining.com" in that field. What this does is search ONLY his website for whatever you're looking for. This is a BIG, BIG help because he doesn't have a good search engine on his website and his website is huge.

I would go with 135-140 for now, but keep a very accurate journal. And if you do 6 reps, increase the weght a little next week. If you do 7, increase the weight a little more. It's not really something I can easily explain, you just need to get in there and start training and you'll get it before long. :)

BTW, you don't "do a lot of heavy sets before it." You WORK UP to ONE set of 3-5 reps. That "work up to" part means you are warming up. :)

On Defranco's site he also explains the warmups really good somewhere.

Again, use google. Also, do that search with google but instead of typing in defrancostraining.com for the domain type in elitefts.com. Or just surf to http://www.elitefts.com. This website has some good info on it.

Also search this forum. I've discussed a few of those exercises before. In fact I was just talking about scarecrows in Chameleon's journal. :)

4. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Neat tip on the advanced google search Chris.:tucool:

5. vatechguy

vatechguy Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The shortcut for the rest of us:

Google Search Box -> SITE:defrancostraining.com + normal search terms
    (limits search to that site)

:D

6. Bobby88

Bobby88 Active Member

I don't want to be rude, but instead of posting another same thread, could you check my WS4SB routine too?
    LOWER BODY (Monday)

A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT – Work up to a max set of 5 reps.
    A2G Squats
    B. UNILATERAL MOVEMENT – Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.
    Dumbbell Lunges
    C. HAMSTRING / POSTERIOR CHAIN MOVEMENT – Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
    Lying Leg Curls
    D. GRIP TRAINING
    Captains of Crush gripper – 3 sets of max reps each hand.

UPPER BODY (Wednesday)

A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT – Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps.
    Incline Barbell Bench Press
    B. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT – Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    C. HORIZONTAL ROW – Perform 4 sets of 10-15 reps.
    Seated cable rows (various bars)
    D. REAR DELT/UPPER BACK – Perform 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps.
    Bent-over Dumbbell Rear Delt Flyes
    E. WEIGHTED ABDOMINAL EXERCISE – 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.
    Dumbbell Side Bends

REPETITION LOWER BODY (Friday)

A. UNILATERAL MOVEMENT - Perform 3 sets of 15 reps each leg
    Single Leg Extensions
    B. POSTERIOR CHAIN / HARMSTRING MOVEMENT – Perform 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps
    Good Mornings
    Romanian Deadlifts
    C. WEAK POINT TRAINING - Perform 1 exercise for 3-5 sets of a lagging body part
    (Common areas include – upper back, external rotators, abs, grip training, etc.)

REPETITION UPPER BODY (Saturday)

A. REPETITION LIFT – Work up to 3 sets of max reps, rest 60 seconds between sets.
    Barbell bench press (max reps on 95lbs., 135lbs., 185lbs. or 225lbs.)
    B. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT (triceps) – Perform 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps.
    Skull crushers (EZ bar or straight bar)
    C. VERTICAL PULLING – Perform 4 sets of 8-12 reps.
    Lat pulldowns (various bars)
    D. MEDIAL DELT or TRAP EXERCISE – Perform 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
    Lateral raises
    E. ELBOW FLEXION EXERCISE – Perform 3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    Hammer curls
    F. ABDOMINAL CIRCUIT TRAINING

7. Nowhereman

Cool thanks for the info. I did forget to ask another question. I noticed that the workout is spread out to every other day. But would it matter if I worked out Sunday Tuesday and Saturday, or is it advisable not to workout back to back days with this type of workout. It's just that this would be easier for me in January when school starts, and I find the gym less packed in the weekend, especially while the one time a year New Year's Resolution junkies are in the gym.

I did read that section on the Ask Joe section. I pretty much know that I start out with the 45 lbs bar and workout to my max. Wich will be 135 lbs. How weak is that!?!?! Oh well I hope to see that go up.

I would also like to get back to you on adding that fourth day at a later time, 1FastGTX. For right now I"m pretty pumped just trying something new with more variety.

8. Nowhereman

9. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That's me too, but it's sometimes easier for some people to use the advanced search page.

10. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

If you want a thick core, i hate that word, start deadlifting and squatting over 300lbs.

Personally, i never got this whole hijacking threads stuff. If i have some thoughts and/or questions i just shoot away.

Then again that's probably why i get kicked off the forum from time to time. :lol:

11. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Bobby, it looks fine, except I don't care for single-leg extensions (JMO). I can get more specific if you start a new thread and also post some of your goals and stats. Starting a new thread would probably get you a lot more replies and info. :)

When I used Defranco's template I liked modifying the rep leg day a bit. I went through a pretty good 4 week cycle doing squats twice per week: box squats on ME Lower day (1 set) and A2G squats (3-4x15-20) on RE Lower day.

Sun/Tue/Sat would work okay but I'd rather you try Sun/Tue/Thu or Fri if you can. Most likely your gym will be slammed on Mondays, so let's schedule Mondays as either a day off from training or a cardio day (if you're doing cardio). How crowded is the gym on Fridays?

I can understand you wanting to work out on the weekend. I myself almost always do heavy leg days on Sundays.

135 isn't weak eriram. We all start somewhere. Think of how many people out there do less than that, and never set a goal to try and better themselves. You are already ahead of the most people in that you are trying to get stronger. Don't worry, you'll be pushing a lot more than that before you know it. :)

Remember, you should always try to better yourself somehow each week. It might be 5 more pounds on the ME lift, it might be an extra rep, etc. Keep an accurate log (just go buy a notebook and a pen).

12. Nowhereman

I'm going to do Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays for now, but when school starts I might have to switch. I would workout on Fridays but Friday and Saturday are about the only two days my girlfriend and I get to see each other so I would prefer to dedicate them to her. Usually when I work out on weekends I do it in the morning so the rest of the day is clear.

Thanks again. Oh and the diet advice you gave me way back when is working great

Thanks again.

Cool thanks I still have a ways to go. My Max on my deads is about 280 and I still have a ways to go before my squats catch up.

13. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You can dedicate those days to both her AND your lifting. Solution: work out together. :D

Actually I'm a little confused. You mentioned training on Saturday, but now you're saying you spend Saturdays with your girlfriend. So, you do not want to train on Saturdays, or you do? (Sorry for my confusion.)

You might not have to switch when school starts. I don't know how bad the gym gets on Thursdays there though.

Great! :)

280 max dead isn't bad at all dude. Give yourself some time, you'll definitely be pulling more than that within a couple of months I think.

What's your diet looking like these days? Are you going for more lean mass, or focusing mostly on strength gains?

14. Nowhereman

Yeah sorry about the confusion its just that Saturday's I can workout early in the morning and then spend the rest of the day with her. Friday's we both work and if I go workout on Friday then we less time.

Yeah I know my back has come along nicely. Thanks

I'm actually looking for both. I want a fuller looking body with some strength. I'll post my diet a little later.

15. Nowhereman

Here is my diet which I have pretty much kept for a couple of months now.

Breakfast: 8 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1 cup of oatmeal (cooked).
    Snack: Protein Shake, 2 ounces of almonds, 2 slices of multigrain bread.
    Lunch: 4 oz of Lean Ground Beef, 1 cup of brown rice
    Snack: Protein Shake, carrots, and 2 slices of multigrain bread.
    Dinner: 6 oz of Chicken, 1 cup of brown rice.
    Last meal: Tuna, whole grain crackers, flax oil, 2 tbl of Peanut Butter

This is about 3400 calories and it is a 30,40,30. I find my body responds better to this. I've tried 40,40, 20. I've also tried 30, 55, 15 (too much carbs for me). I like the 30, 40, 30. I don't feel like I'm eating too much of one thing. It maybe a little high in fat, but I actually don't gain a whole lot of fat with this. My bodyfat actually decreased a little while I was bulking up with this since October. It is probably a little high right now since I haven't worked out ore eaten properly since my November vacation.

1FastGTX and Mastover, also others, provided me with insight a while back. I know that Mastover would probably like me to have lean ground beef in the morning but I couldn't get used to eating meat in the morning. I also know that I should probably add sweet potatoes somewhere but I don't really like them and I don't really like spending the time making them. I also should be eating natural peanut butter but I find it quite nasty so I do with the regular one. Many like to have the cottage cheese before bed but I am now lactose intolerant. Which kind of sucks because one of my favorite cheat meals was Olive Gardens seafood Alfredo, my stomach acts all funny after that now. I get my calcium with magnesium in tablet form. I tried many of the things others suggested. I took out stuff I didn't like and tried to make the best substitution I could. It may not be the best diet but it definitely is not the worst. And I have seen some gains with it.

I would like to add some more size to my upper body. I feel my chest is undeveloped. I would like my arms to be fuller and look cut, little bit bigger forearms. My back has definitely changed since I started working out and I"m pretty happy about that. But I also want strength with that added size. I have pics in my journal but I did not put up a picture for December. The last progress pics I took was in November.

I am not neglecting my legs. I used to hate working them out. Now I look forward to working them out. No matter what body part I'm working out on nothing makes me sweat as much as when I workout on leg day. Feels quite awesome. I can feel just how tired and sweaty I'll be after I start my current leg workout. I start tomorrow morning. I can't wait.

#15 Nowhereman, Dec 10, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  16. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

If you've been doing that for a while and want to change it, let me know. I've got some ideas but I'm not sure if you want to mess with it. :)

Sweet potatoes: if you don't like them, that's okay. But if you do, you can just microwave them.

Peanut Butter: what brands did you try? There are others. Also, have you tried almond butter?

BTW, to be honest I'm usually not one to nitpick natural vs. regular peanut butter. If you're only eating a little bit of it once per day I don't think it's going to make a dramatic difference. Go ahead with the Jif. :D Or, you should really try "Skippy Natural." I consider it "half natural peanut butter." It tastes incredible (I actually like it better than Jif).

I agree, it's not the "best" diet but no diet is "the best." It's definitely better than what the majority of people out there eat every day! We could modify it if you want, again just let me know.

(I would like to strongly urge you to eat more fruit and vegetables though.)

WS4SB should help with most of that.

LOL. Yeah the leg routine can be brutal, especially when you get into the bulgarian split squats, the single-leg exercises, the walking lunges, the box squats, etc. I strongly recommend you add that 4th, re leg day too, when you feel you are ready. :)

17. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This is correct, and a good sign.

18. Nowhereman

Sure, at least to get some ideas. I might not do them all but at least I'll be a little more knowledgeable with interchangeable foods. I am totally open to it though.

I know I should get some more fruits and veggies in but I don't really like veggies especially cooked. I like fruits and I used to have fruits instead of the 2 slices of bread in both of my snacks. But I didn't really want to eat 2 apples a day to get my carb calories, fruit can get expensive, and the bread is a little cheaper. I also had bananas, but I hate how they get all nasty after 3 days and I hate going to the supermarket more than once a week, so I couldn't really by them in bulk like other fruits.

I know I"m being a picky baby but that is why I eat the bread there.

But before I get any recommendations let me explain why I eat some of my meals.

Breakfast: 8 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1 cup of oatmeal (cooked).
    Simple breakfast. Doesn't take that much time.

Snack: Protein Shake, 2 ounces of almonds, 2 slices of multigrain bread.

I'm a teacher and three hours after my first meal I'm still in class teaching. Our principal does not like it when we eat in front of the kids or in our classrooms. I find the shake is easy to eat and nobody seems to mind the bread and I can sneak the almonds. My first break in the morning is at 10:15 and then my lunch is at 11:45, less than 2 hours later. I like to let the food digest so I eat my food around 9:15, during the kids silent reading time:) . In other words I don't have access to a microwave during this time and it would not be acceptable to munch on chicken a salad and some rice.

Snack: Protein Shake, carrots, and 2 slices of multigrain bread.
    The same as above for the second snack. It is after school but it is tutoring time. But at this time it is 3 hours after my lunch and I could wait another hour to get home and eat something else.

Dinner: 6 oz of Chicken, 1 cup of brown rice.
    I don't really like this one but mainly because I have not found a recipe I like for the chicken. I can't seem to get it right. Since I make my meals 3 days in advance the chicken is pretty dry.

My dinner is not really a problem. But when school starts up again I have pretty much the same problem as I do with my snacks. I have posted this before. It just doesn't seem right to eat my dinner in the middle of class while the teacher is talking. The breaks are unpredictable and if I wait after class it would be too long between meals because sometimes I go visit mom after class. So I eat a meal similar to my snacks twice a week when school starts, during class.

#18 Nowhereman, Dec 10, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  19. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

Personally, I think this is a poor lower day. If I had to choose doing deads or squats weekly, I'd do squats in a heartbeat. In fact, that's pretty much how it is right now. I haven't deadlifted in over a month, let alone weekly.
    Leg curls are also pretty low on the exercise lists that I do (in fact, they haven't been done for two years I would say). I'd prefer to see something like:

Squats: Work up to 3RM or 1RM. When stalled, change to DL. When stalled on DL, change to zercher zquats, or RDLs, or some other exercise. You'll hit a brick wall doing one exercise time and time again.
    Good Mornings, RDLs, or SLDLs: I prefer good mornings. best ham exercise I can do without a GHR or a Reverse hyper. I highly recommend them.
    Step ups are fine. I just have trouble keeping my back rigid for 16 to 30 steps. I usually do 6 reps per leg.

I don't use grip trainers. Try them for a while then change up the exercise.

20. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah that is the way they work for you, possibly due to a very strong back. For a lot of people, good mornings are really a lower back exercise.

Alternative to the good mornings, I would suggest people might try the single stiff-legged barbell deadlift, possibly on something unstable.

Alternatively, go with the single leg good morning, possibly destabilized. I don't know anyone who does that, but you [betastas] would be the candidate. I wouldn't suggest this exercise to just anyone though. Pretty much just you because you like the GMs so much.

By the way another GM variation which I have done is overhead GMs. Snatch grip - maintain the arms straight as you bend over. Obviously a much lower weight is appropriate than your normal GM. If you can't stabilize them standing, then try seated on a ball.