1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

my weightlifting/cardio/diet plan. critique plz?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by ryanoakes, Sep 4, 2009.

1. ryanoakes

ryanoakes Active Member

My diet i might have to use becuase of school starts:

Breakfast: Egg sandwich with 2 pieces of whole grain toast.
    Snack: Something quick. like a breakfast bar or half a sandwhich.
    LuncH: Home Made sub with meats cheese lettuce tomatoe and mustard. i also have gatorade as a beverage with it. and maybe a 100 calorie oreo pack.
    Before football practice: half a sandwich.
    Dinner:Whatever my parents make.

I play football, weightlift, and run (only sometimes).

im 5'7, 14 years old, 120 pounds and looking to get a bit leaner. heres the cardiMonday:
    1. Flat Barbell Bench Press 5 x 10 super setted with push ups.
    2. Flat bench flys 4 x 10
    2. Deadlift. 5 x 5
    3. Barbell Rows 5 x 5
    4. Barbell curls 5 x 8
    5. Quad extensions 4 x max
    6. 3 sets of max diamond push ups
    7. Dumbell pull overs
    + 20-30 mins cardio after

Tuesday: 30-40 mins cardio (every few weeks i might go swimming on this day)

Wednesday:
    1. Incline Barbell Bench Press. 4 x 10 super setted with incline push ups.
    2. Incline DumbellFlys. 4 x 10
    3. dumbell shoulder press (to even out my un-even shoulders). 4 x 10.
    4. 4 x max pull ups.
    5. 2 x max chin ups
    6. dumbell curls 5 x 10
    7. Hammy curls. 4 x max
    8. 3 sets of max diamond push ups
    +20- 30 mins of cardio after

Thursday: 30-40 mins cardio. 20 boxing, 20 elliptical.

Friday:
    1. Flat Barbell Bench Press 3 x 10 super setted with push ups.
    2. Incline barbell bench press 3 x 10 super setted with incline push ups
    2.5: 1 set of dumbell flys on each set of incline
    3. Deadlift 5 x 5
    4. Barbell rows 2 x 10
    5. 3 x max pull ups, 1 x max chin ups
    6. Barbell curls, 3 x 8, dumbell curls, 2x10
    7: hammy curls and quad extensions
    8. 2 sets of max diamond push ups
    9. 2 sets x 8 millitary press
    10. Dumbell pull overs 3 x 10
    +25 mins cardio.

saturday: run for 10 mins on tread mill, 10 mins on stairclimber, 10 mins on bike, then 10 mins swimming.
    sunday: Rest and stretch

#1 ryanoakes, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. sCoals

sCoals Active Member

I'll lay it out like this:
    1) You're 14, 5'7 and 120 pounds. Age aside, 5'7 and 120 pounds actually makes you underweight.

2) I can't really say much on your exercise program since i don't feel 100% qualified, maybe someone with more experience can comment. I can, however, say that it looks very solid. A lot of people will say nix the Cardio since you probably need to focus more on gaining weight than losing it but Cardio is more than simply "catabolizing muscle", it's got more cardiovascular benefits than anything else.

3)I"m glad you took a day off on Sunday, be careful not to overdo it and get someone to look at your form and make sure you're doing it right. If you're new to weight lifting, start slowly the first few times may feel useless because you're not stressing yourself but give your body some time to prime itself for the real heavy weights. (i'm battling some epic elbow tendonitis (lateral, medial, and triceps Lol) because I didn't start slow and my form wasn't great.

You mention your goal is to get leaner but at 120 pounds i highly reccomend you focus on building some muscle. It'll do much more to improve your physique, strength, and overall health. Besides how much more fat do you really have to lose? lol To do that you need to make sure you're eating enough quality foods with plenty of protein (no junk food though!)

Take my advice with a grain of salt the only qualifications I have are that I'm studying pre-medicine at University of Virginia , have read a lot of books on the subject of weight lifting AND dieting, and have been a long time lurker here and at several other similar forums (anabolicminds, bodybuilding.com etc)

3. gray

gray Active Member

Dieting doesn't always have to mean a deficit, sCoals. But it would help if the OP would clarify?

In your exercise routine, besides deadlifting, I fail to see any compound leg work. Squats and its variations (front squats, split squats), lunges, and maybe a little calf isolation in the form of raises would be beneficial to add.

#3 gray, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  4. IamthePreston

IamthePreston Active Member

Oh man I love this post. You are 14 years old and told us your stats, gave us your eating plan, and listed your workout. That is impressive.

First of all you do not need to lean down at all. Based on your age and weight I am sure you cant gain weight, but that is what you need to do. You need to eat nonstop. Eat when you are hungry, eat when you aren't hungry. Eat like you wont be fed for another week. Your metabolism with your practices alone will keep you from putting on any fat.

My point is, that the best thing you can do right now is to eat eat eat.

The workout could use a little tweaking. You need an in-season workout. You are trying to do too many things in one week.
    Football practice should be top priority. Weight training three times a week is okay, but cut it back some. I would recommned upperbody, lowerbody, upper body one week and the next week lower body, upperbody lower body. Keep it simple stick to 4 or 5 big exercises. Upper body would be some thing like bench, dips, pullups, clean and press, bent over rows, lower body squats, leg extension, leg curl, calf raises, hip sled (most high school gyms have them).