1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

My weekly report! Because you only live once!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by boLa8, Feb 7, 2007.

1. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

my problem is not to do with skin, its to do with digestion. i dont get any in the face, just the back of the neck and back, which is a pain in the.. back. antibiotics dont do anything to me, nothing.. ive heard about Brewers Yeast but now that im on roaccutane i dont want to mix anything, this stuff is dangerous enough! but thats for metioning!

Anyway i did my 2000m yesterday, 7:49s not too bad at all! i was happy with that, still long way from what some of the people in my team do (6"5, do around 6:20s) but its a personal best so i dont complain!

race tomorrow, nothing important still it would be nice to win again :D better go to bed, 3 in the morning! have a good one.

2. bballer143

bballer143 Well-Known Member

Hi BoLa!
    I just finished catching up with your journal and wanted to say that you've been doing an amazing job! Your progress has been awesome and you look great in those recent pictures you posted, and I agree, that picture of you on race day looks really good! :) So the scale hasn't moved very much, sometimes that happens ;), do you think it's because of the cheats? I'm sorry that lately things have been a little difficult lately (exams, break-up :() and I hope that they get better.

Good luck at the race tomorrow!! :gl:

3. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

Hey bballer welcome aboard! i do think its because of my cheats, not been strict enough is been a problem with everything going on.. but trying to change it around, not giving up this soon!

thanks for your comments really means alot:)

Just came back from the river

The race didnt go as well as last week, we lost in the semifinals to a very tough crew, we were level for the first 700m then they pulled away and won by 1\4 lenth (3meters) cant win them all! :lol:

This week im going to focus on the bench press. ive always been doing inclined bench with free weights, i can now lift 65kg with free weights, but when it comes to use the smith machine i can barelly do 40kg, not sure why, technically it should be easier.. good news is i hit falure harder on my chest now so it can only be good!

Also this week(apart from exams and rowing) ill be focusing on my 2000m rowing test, want to get below 6:49! :nope:

Here is a pic of last weeks race i found earlier:

#63 boLa8, May 27, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  4. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi bola, wonder if you could give me some advice. I've started trying to do HIIT on the concept2 at the gym, problem is, it's not giving me a hard enough workout. I'm doing Chad Waterbury's suggested progressions for HIIT, and have got up to 9 intervals of 90 seconds moderate effort (for me this reads anything from 2:20/500m up to 2:45) and 30 seconds all out (1:45-1:50).

Now, I guess my technique sucks because I can't get the reading to show any faster than 1:42ish/500m, no matter how hard I go at it. Even so, I'm going putting everything into it, and the resistance is on max, and my heartrate doesn't even break 180bpm.

Could you tell me
    1) how the hell do you row on a concept2 "properly" :lol:
    2) some good interval/anaerobic training routines to go through?

I got a whole thing from the concept2 website about using rowing for rugby fitness, but a lot of it is about the theory of different energy systems for rugby endurance etc, and very little covers exactly what kind of routines, and most important, technique!

P.S. I think I understand your old "short rowers pull harder" avatar now - being a bit of a shortarse, I find that I don't get enough drive from my legs and have to use my upper body to pull more. Is that right? :confused:

5. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Your progress pictures are GREAT :D i don't recognise the colours, which college are you rowing for? I did 4 years of rowing at uni and loved it, but right now am thinking of training for a tri. Are triathlons quite big in the UK?

6. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

First of all congrats on choosing a great sport! once you get the hang of it you will know what i mean ;)

Sounds like your technique (specially applying the power) is like many of the people i see in the gym, the problem is: thats how "expert" gym instructors tell you how to do it. ive been there, in the rowing machine while the "instructor" gives a "lesson" to people on how to row.. and it aint pretty!! :lol: i mean how can people row with that backpain...

Anyway, technique! here its how i think(and all the rowing real experts) its best to take the stroke:

POWER:

Maximal power is achieved by appropriate sequencing of the contributing muscles from strongest to weakest.
    So you are sitted in the erg, and you move forward, your heels are just starting to get off the foot plate, your back is straight, your chest out, your arms straight.

The Stroke

1. LEGS FIRST......The quadriceps and gluteals

Once the legs are straight,with the arms still straight you start with

2.YOUR BACK, the lower back starts to rock back about 20degrees, still with your arms straight

3. Then the SHOULDERS and ARMS... The latissimus dorsi, trapezius, rhomboids, and biceps(to mention a few!) so when your body moves back your hands start moving towards your chest.

Most people think thats all you need, just move forward in what ever fashion and do it again. thats wrong because 1)you can hurt yourself and 2) the recovery is just as important as the stroke, imagine doing squats, you dont only focus in going down till you lock at horizontal, but you have to go up too! just as important and exactly the same in
    rowing.

THE RECOVERY

"Let the boat run, rest, and prepare for the next stroke"
    Its the same on the erg, the recovery is as important as the stroke when you pull

you get to breath and "recover" to pull harder next stroke :evil:, position yourself as follow:

1. remember your hands are in your chest, your lower back is rocked back.(bit like this angle \

1. first go your arms until they are straight

2.Then your body moves from \ to / so just a little forward, you start to feel the pressure on your abs.Perfect time to breath hard!

3. your legs move forward until you are flexed and your chest hits your legs

NOTE: DONT MOVE YOUR LEGS UNTIL YOUR HANDS ARE OVER YOUR KNEES, IF YOU HIT YOUR KNEES WITH YOUR HANDS THINK! WAIT FOR YOUR BODY TO MOVE FORWARD BEFORE BENDING THE LEGS!

4. YOU TAKE THE STROKE AGAIN!

And its a cycle

Some TIPS:

1. Head High- encourages good posture for body and spine

2. Chest against thighs- Rotation should be centered around the hip joint, not the upper or lower back.

get that 6pack working nicely! the abs is THE most important part of rowing, without them no matter how strong your legs are, or your arms and chest are you will simply not apply any power(this i think its what your problem is)

3. Shins vertical- strong position for the quadriceps

4. Relaxed but alert- poised like a cat ready to spring! always with hard abs and relaxed arms

5.The power transferred through the handle to the erg(rowing machine)is only as much as the legs supply.

6. A good technique is based on the work of the legs to create most of the total power.

RHYTHM!

Anyone can do 50strokes per minute(SPM) ive seen grannys do 60 :rolleyes: does that mean they are "fast"\ no. they simply are not taking the full stroke, rushing up and down the slide and using very, if any really little muscles..

But how about doing 18 SPM, full power(when pulling) not so easy! in the stroke you never EVER stop, your body is always moving!

some of my RUTINES\exercises:

For technique, stamina, burning cals(over 1000cals in 60mins, bargain!)
    Its not about how many strokes you take, but how hard you take them!

Happy Hour: 2x 30mins: 21SPM keeping it under x:xx split, pushing every 5minutes( 5, 10, 15,20,25) briging it under a split of 5-10sec faster.(just 60-90mins stop to strech and drink water)

5x 500m : Basically 500m pieces, as fast as you can never going over 35SPM

Piramids: you have to keep it on a split 20secs of your fastest 500m piece( so if is you do 500m in 1:40, keep it under 2:00)

Takes 35minutes:

Mins:
    1-2: 16Strokes per minute
    2-3: 18SPM
    3-5: 20SPM
    5-7: 22SPM
    9-11: 24SPM
    11-13: 26SMP
    13-15: 28SPM
    15-16: 30SPM
    16-18: 32SPM

And then the same but backwards:

18-20: 30SPM
    20-22: 28SPM
    22-24: 26SPM
    24-26: 24SPM
    26-28: 22SPM
    28-30: 20SPM
    30-32: 18SPM
    32-35: 16SPM

Piramids is great for control, and pushes you HARD, you will be amazing at how much you can burn!

Then we have the tests:

5000m test: 28-32SPM
    2000m test: 32-36SPM
    500m test: 32+SPM

its great fun to beat a personal best, and great motivation!

Settings to be used:

Anything in the middle is fine, 4-6 is perfect water resistance, its easier to get a better time with the setting on "hard" 10 but its not a better workout and profesional rowers use 5 for a reason :nod:

Here is a video to illustrate all this i just typed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE0_PaRBXeA
    His technique is not "perfect"(specially his back) but it shows you the basics!

I can assure you your times will go down FAST! and if you come back to this post in the future and re-read it you will understand it much better and hopefully help you beat your personal best's ;)

Been short only means we have to pull the same as a tall guy in a shorter distance

im nearly a 1foot shorter than many in my team, they have alot of extra lenth(Leg and back wise) to get more power in the water(or in the machine)

like i said before:

The power transferred through the handle to the erg is only as much as the legs supply.

Good luck, hope it helps! :tu:

boLa8

#66 boLa8, May 31, 2007
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  7. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

Now back to me!

Today i had my first "perfect" day since about a month, i ate all clean foods and had one of the best gym sessions in ages(including a near accident doing squats..) i think having nearly finished my exams for the year is making me focus more on what really matters, getting fitter! :D

Today i did:
    Outing in the morning: 2hours, just 500m pieces not that hard really

In the gym:
    Happy hour on the erg, 2x30mins keeping it under 2:00 burned around 1400cals

Then leg weights for the rest 30mins

90mins of pure nonestop exercise! i felt great!
    I also went to Tescos and bought alot of clean foods i can have in my diet while im at work this week!

Thanks jedi :claphigh: my club is CCAT(Cambridge College of Arts and Technology), we are not the best team out there(we are the poorest college in the river at the moment) but we work hard and we win sometimes! :nod:

Im not sure about Triathlons over here to be honest, i still havent decided if im going to join the one in 3weeks time, i dont think im prepared.. they sound great, its really the ultimate challege for any sports person..

Ok to bed now, ive been typing for ages :lol: i forgot how much free time you have when your single :lol:

Have a great day!

8. H177

H177 Active Member

wow! your looking great!! your progress is incredible!! :claphigh:

9. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

Thanks!! pogress has been slow this past month but im back to putting work into it!
    OK update!, Day: 127
    Weight: 75.0Kg (Lowest ive been since my cut, cant wait to get past the 75 mark :evil: )

Also target was achieved for the week!

Today was the 2nd of 2 perfect days, burned 1000cals just in cardio, did leg weights squatting big time and increasing my weights every session! but most importantly, NO CHEAT MEALS! i get offered icecream every time grr. but i had the will power to say no! thats my biggest challenge.. saying no to food is the hardest thing out of this journey, i rather do cardio for 1h than say no to icecream :o its proving hard but im going to make it!

Also today in the gym i had a happy achievement..

Since i was 18 i havent been able to do pullups, maybe 3 o 4 but always giving 100% and looking kind of embarrased... today the gym was empty in the morning and gave it a try.. i could do 20 with much ease.. i was amazing, and couldnt believe it thinking it was the pump from the squats before so i gave it another try, and did another 20! :D gave me a great boost!

Ill take pics tomorrow for this month, cant wait to see if i have made any progress!

#69 boLa8, Jun 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  10. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

^-- by pullups i ment chinups.. sorry oops!

GREAT NEWS! i said the other day that it was tough getting over the 75Kg mental barrier..
    \

Weight this morning: 74.4Kg! 163Lbs

I 128 days ive gone from:

87Kg to 74.4Kg a loss of 12.6Kg

192Lbs to 163Lbs a loss of 29Lbs (Nearly 30!)

Also took pics, will post them in the next couple of days!

Feels great when the hard work pays off!!

Have a good one

11. bballer143

bballer143 Well-Known Member

:claphigh: Congratulations on breaking 75 Kg and having perfect nutrition these past couple of days!! 29 lbs of weight loss is awesome boLa, Keep it up!! :tucool:

12. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

Thanks BB! its the lowest ive been since i was 18 or so :D

What im happiest about the 29Lbs is that ive added ALOT of muscle even while cutting thanks to my genes..

Ive discovered that its very easy for my body to gain fat, but its also easy to make muscle even with calorific deficiency.. altho this past 30days without any loss i have been mantaining :mad: but im ready to change this!

129 days since i posted here, weight is 74.3Kg this morning.

Gym:
    20mins sprints
    20mins rowing steady sprints
    20mins cross trainer

Weights: Legs (focus on squats)

River:

2000m race course in 7mins

13. Abby

Abby Well-Known Member

hi bola :) first of all i want to say congratulations on your great success thus far! you look great!

i'm a rower also (or used to be). i rowed in high school and college from '95 - '03 and it's one of the best workouts i've ever had... on the water or on the erg. it's almost like cardio and weights in one, plus total body! and i agree with you it's pretty funny to watch a non-rower on the erg and see their horrible technique. what is your 2000m time down to now? when i was in college my lowest was 7:16

keep up the good work!

how's this for a cool rowing pic??
    [​IMG]

14. OpenRoad

OpenRoad Active Member

Hey bola, long time no speak.

Keep up the good work matey, your looking great, especially those biceps! (meaty! :D)

Your actually lighter than me now :spank:

15. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

Thanks! its a work in progress but ill get there in the end!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: thats an AWESOME 2k time! the girls in my college are in the middle 7mins and they are SUPER fit, you must be a machine! :tucool:

Awesome pic! what position did you row in??
    lovely blue sky... i have a race today in a few hours, guess what, its raining :doh:(attached a pic of one of our cold morning outings... cold, but atleast theres a little bit of sun :D)

Its OR! long time no see! only reason im lighter is because ur bulk is AWESOME! congrats :tu:

This is the timetable for this week

Friday: 8th: Race,timed,Cambridge: 2200m

Sat-Sun:9th-10: Race, side by side, Peterborough 2000m, if we win another 2000m and so on(till the final, 4 rounds)

Monday-Tuesday: Outings in the morning, practice starts!

Wednesday: 13th, Bumps style(you chase the crew infront, while been chased)
    Thursday: 14th, Bumps style
    Friday: 15th Bumps Style
    Saturday: 16th: Last day of the Bumps!

This is the last week of races of the year, not sure if i should go to the gym all this week, maybe sunday as i have 2 days to recover before racing again.. will keep posting results\pics! ;) if i dont, its because we did really badly.. :lol:

Attached Files:

• race.jpg
      race.jpg
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
  16. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

Never mind!

#76 boLa8, Jun 8, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  17. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

First race done! 2200m in 8:10 not bad at all for a course with tough corners! we are not sure about the official results, but a top 3 is more than possible! it was a mixed crew, with the stern 4 been 1st crew and bow 4 been 3rd crew(you can see the difference in technique hehe)

here is a pic from the race, im the 3rd one from the left:

[​IMG]

Peterboro today, lets see how it goes!

18. Abby

Abby Well-Known Member

haha well that 2k was 5 years ago in college ;) i doubt i could pull anything close to that now!

in that picture i was 3 seat :) go starboard, haha.

19. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

In the power house :nod: no wonder with that 2k time!

Im also Bowsider! i used 2 sit on 3, now i sit on 7

Update:

Results of the race yesterday: We finished 3rd of 20 crews, so we qualified for the Bumps :cool: the times was actually 7:42 not 8:42 :doh:which for a course with so many corners it was actually real good! we were 3secs of the winners!

Day 1 Peterbough went well! just came back from celebrations, cheated ALOT, had way too much alcohol its 2 in the morning.. i guess scales will go up but with all this races i guess not that much(or atleast i want to hope)

Better go to bed, race at 2 tomorrow!

20. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I rowed 3 too.Have never tried an 8 though, always 4, pairs or skulling:)

well done for qualifying for the Bumps, when are they? end of June?