1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

My tongue is ruining my life...

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by ThatIsRazonable, Oct 17, 2007.

1. ThatIsRazonable

ThatIsRazonable Active Member

Hello everyone.

I have a self diagnosed case of paranoia/halitophobia where I am afraid that if I talk or exhale etc. people will smell bad breath from my mouth.

It has gotten to a point where even if I wanted to not be worried about my breath I can't.

I eat 6 meals a day, after each meal I actually brush my tongue with toothpaste and then scrape it with a tongue scraper. One thing about my tongue is once I clean it, it is very clean and it stays clean until I eat again....which I assume is normal.

What is provoking my paranoia is all these self tests that say my breath has to be flawless or it is bad breath. I do the lick wrist test 5 times a day and sometimes it has a smell sometimes it doesn't.

It says any kind of taste in the mouth no matter how light means there is a breath odor that will flow out anytime I open my mouth. After cleaning my tongue, alot of times after awhile I will have some kindof taste on the upper or sides of the inner walls of my mouth, it gets me so irked.

I then start doing a self test that I figured out on my own, I basically press the tip of my tongue into the inner bottom wall of my lip, I then exhale and direct my nose into the exhaled air to smell any odor. Recently the odor is dull, sometimes almost totally gone because I have been brushing my tongue an insane 6 times a day...although sometimes I catch a quick odor that just disappears...I totally lose it at times like that and ask myself "WTF does it matter, how the hell do I know when I have bad breath and when I don't"

I refuse to talk at my job unless I have to, I don't even talk to a girl I like there anymore. She looks at me every now and then, she probably thinks I hate her or something now...

What is happening to me? When I was younger I had a fear of bad breath, but it was minor and didn't affect my life at all.....I have never had an instance where someone said I have bad breath or where someone turned their face away in disgust or something, but yet when I do my self tests they don't always pass with flying colors....

I actually didn't go to the dentist for like 10 years up until 1 year ago where I met this cool dentist, the hygienists that worked with him cleaned my mouth up real good, they scraped out alot of cement and tar and did xrays etc. So I am officially with a fantastic mouth....except for my impacted molar which will be removed in around 6-12 months per my dentist.

I blame the odor on my meals, I eat 6 times a day....but what I notice is whenever I eat my deli turkey sandwich & npb sandwich meal (whole wheat bread) 2 times a day....it is after those meals especially that a bitter taste sits on my tongue, and leads to a significant increase in odor...I can smell it this time, taste it..and know its there...but it doesn't seem to be strong enough for anyone I talk to to notice...but I wouldn't know that for sure since I don't talk much.

I actually don't know what to do, I'm ranting about this here because I suspect it is my massive amount of meals I eat per day....I like to think that since I have 6 meals that it is normal for me to brush my tongue 5-6 times a day...but I don't know....

Even if people don't seem to smell my bad breath (If I do indeed have any), I still think its there....if I smell even the faintest odor...then it has to be bad breath right???? Argh...

2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

See a psychologist/therapist if you're concerned about how this behavior is affecting your life.

3. goonie

goonie Active Member

Do you honestly think if you ate three meals per day your fear surrounding this issue would be any different?

4. mattback

mattback Active Member

chew gum <3

5. ZMan

ZMan Well-Known Member

Check out Biotene gels and breath sprays, they lubricate your mouth so you don't get cotton mouth and they have a pleasant taste as well. You can find it at CVS/Rite Aid for about $8-9.

6. med267

med267 Well-Known Member

Listerine Breat Strips are pretty strong protection.

7. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I would be more interested in finding a cure for your obsessive/compulsive behaviour than I would for bad breath.

Since no-one but you seems to have a problem with your breath it appears to be a self-induced phobia.

I would, however, be less concerned with your tongue and instead "floss" once per day. I said once because if you floss compulsively all day long there's a good chance you'll damage your teeth.

I would also eat Clorophyll and Lactobacilus/Acidophilus sources once per day.

I would also watch simple carb intake from sources like Sugar.

Perhaps the use of a good mouthwash once per day before you go to bed might help.

But do you really have a breath problem?

If you're trying to reach the point of a 100% sterile mouth 24/7, you are not on the right track.

Certain odors, while noticeable, are not always "bad" odors.

If you actually do have Halitosis, there are cures for that.

But you haven't said that every time someone gets within 2 feet of you, they recoil in horror or turn ashen...

Peolpe turn to these C/O disorders as a method of some type of control in their life..

Obsessive washing, counting things, arranging things neatly and compartmenting....all to do with the fear of loss of control...

8. ThatIsRazonable

ThatIsRazonable Active Member

I do floss once per day, at night since that is the time after I ate all my meals and my teeth are ready to be cleaned of any chunks in between.

I also brush my teeth/tongue as normal, I scrape my tongue...I even have a gum massager that I use to massage my gums AND I use it as a tool to clean out any gunk I missed that may be lying in gum pockets.

I use Listerine mouthwash once a day in the morning, I figured that was the best time to use it.....I never tried rinsing at night also. Listerine does say that I should rinse every 12 hours, so it seems perfect if I rinse morning and night.

I will also check out those Clorophyll and Lactobacilus/Acidophilus things you recommended, good to know.

My sugar intake is ok pretty much I guess, I only get sugar from the non fat milk I drink and my Kashi cereal....I may get it from other meals that I don't know about but that is pretty much it.

I noticed that whenever I eat my sandwich meals that the bitter taste is reallly prevalent. I eat my sandwiches cold, is this not good? The turkey has a strong tangy bitter taste to it...it doesn't taste a bad bitter...I can tolerate it 100%, but that bitter taste doesn't exactly go away soon.

9. jkugelman

jkugelman Active Member

Poor oral hygiene is NOT your problem. You should probably try to curb your compulsions to clean your mouth so often, not do even more. Well, anyways, I'm not a therapist so that might actually be bad advice, I dunno! :doh:

It's definitely a mental thing, you're letting your fear control your life to an unhealthy degree. Would you agree with that? I mean, is there a part of you that knows this is not normal? If there is you should listen to that part--even if the rest of you is screaming OH GOD, GO BRUSH YOUR TEETH RIGHT NOW! Don't do it! :nono:

Go talk to somebody instead. :tu:

10. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

Therapy can do wonders, amigo. You are sounding rather OCD.

11. banderbe

banderbe Active Member

Eat poop. Then you won't have to wonder if your breath stinks or not. That way you can stop all the checking and licking and testing.

Okay, that's not a very helpful suggestion. I don't know man, I think I agree with the other poster, you need to seek psychological counseling.

12. Croz

Croz Active Member

Don't want to overstep my bounds, but I have a son with OCD. I'd encourage you to speak with a therapist over this issue.

We can all go through stress times in our life where we have a compulsion that doesn't mean we have OCD, but you should speak to someone to be sure.

13. Jose medina

Jose medina New Member

I have the same exact problem, I want to know if you could resolve it and how?