1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

My time to do this (the right way)

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by fitforever10, Nov 29, 2010.

1. fitforever10

fitforever10 Active Member

Thought todays workout was pretty solid but I don't think I'm making much improvements with my weights. Still stuck at the same I was about a week and a half ago. I wouldn't say it's getting easier but about the same. I bumped my leg workouts up by about 10 pounds each and it's exhausting the hell out of me but I'm coming along. My diet is on track too so that's a plus.

I've been reading others journals here trying to get an idea on how to increase and what not so I'll see if I can apply some of those methods next week.

Have a good weekend. I plan on coming here Monday saying no binge eating or anything along those lines.

2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It sounds like you're doing really well.

Don't worry, although it's frustrating, every single workout isn't going to make you feel strong while you're doing it. It's just good that you're in there and working hard.

It's hard starting out where there's so much competing advice and information. But sifting through it all and really thinking about it is an important part of the process. It's an uncomfortable part, but it doesn't really take that long before you start to get a better idea of what you want to do.

3. fitforever10

This has been an uphill battle for me, and unfortunately everytime I "fall off track", it gets worse because the weight gain and guilt becomes bigger and bigger.

This past weekend I was doing good. I went out Saturday night, and I had one of the worst experiences at a club I went to. I won't go into detail, but I felt pretty bad the next day (Sunday). So I started to eat to compensate those feelings. I know what I was doing and I didn't care because I have no other way to calm negative feelings.

Today I was doing good at work until I was tempted with pizza at work. Yup, someone stopped by and offered leftover pizza and cookies. Had they not have I would probably not be typing this. I am extremely pissed about that. Having a lack of any willpower coming off a binge day I gave in and loaded up. I can't blame that person for offering (how would they know about my binging habits lingering around?). I felt bad after I ate the pizza, so I ate some chocolates off someone's desk, and instead of going to the gym after work headed straight to the supermarket. After that I loaded up with ice cream, chocolates, and a whole pizza from the frozen section.

I think the sad thing is I have put on almost 10 pounds, and I am looking back at pictures of myself at 170 (10 lbs. ago) and there was nothing wrong with the way I looked even though I felt the same way at that weight that I do now. When my diet and workout is right on, I feel unreal and like a walking God, then I have a binge day which turns into three and throw it all away. Then I re-evaluate my diet and start all over again. I had a binge yesterday and today which means tomorrow I will be at an extremely high risk for doing it. I don't want to but I know my mind can shift in a mere second. I go from one extreme to another, it's crazy.

It seems like the more I want to reach my goals, the farther I actually get (ex: instead of losing one pound I gain two or three, and so on). I have two dates lined up in the next two weeks, one this weekend and one the next, and my binge habits still linger. I kind of feel bad because I like both girls and they provide a sense of motivation for me but I still screwed up.

Right now I am going to focus on tomorrow, day by day. I am not looking for any sympathy or anything, I am not looking to pull any responses/replies, I know what everyone has said. I am just jotting my thoughts/feelings down. I am just at one of my low points right now. I know that in a day or two I'll be back where I need to be, at least for now. I also know everyone says setbacks happen but if I keep setting myself back like this on a weekly basis I will be in the same spot five years from now and probably 130 pounds heavier again. I know why I am binge eating but nothing relieves the stress better than food. "Dealing" with it sucks because I have to sit around being grumpy, watching the time slowly pass by, and so on. Food doesn't help permanently but after I binge I at least feel better about myself for the rest of the day.

There is nothing I am going to change tomorrow. I know what my diet is about, I know my calories, my BMR, and all that stuff. So all I can do is get up, and resume what needs to be done.

#163 fitforever10, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. fitforever10

Today was a turn for the better, in my opinion. My work has a gym but I never really went in and saw. Actually I never saw it and I've worked here over a year and a half.

Today I went in with a coworker and was impressed - they had a squat rack, bench press, dumbbells/barbells. The gym I go to right now has these as well but the squat rack and bench press is always taken up and then there are people who watch you. I go to a "big" gym if you get my drift. The popular one that's flooded with people at 5pm.

At work I swear the place is empty clock round. So I have decided to begin a real plan, the stronglifts 5x5, and I will be starting tomorrow (since I do not have my workout clothes/gear today with me). And I also want to mention my work gym is free. The one I go to now is $38 / mo.

First, I will look at all of these on youtube to learn proper form and printout the progress spreadsheet on their site and keep that on my laptop to record progress.

Secondly, they provide a diet plan on their website which I will follow as well. So I will go out and get what they suggest me to follow.

Thirdly, I bought the book "Shrink Yourself" which is a self-help program/guide to overcoming emotional and binge eating. I will (and already have) begin to read through this book and study myself in and out, and do all of the self-help exercises. I have already done some of them and though it's tough to admit, I've had to write some stuff down that kind of bothers me, but that's alright.

So now my plan will be this (I should have done this all along):

Monday:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5

Wednesday:
    Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Friday:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5

#164 fitforever10, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. fitforever10

Last night I spend almost 2 1/2 hours practicing form with a broom for all of those exercises above. I was watching youtube videos and saw good AND bad examples so I have a good idea of what I am doing. I have a feeling squats are going to be tough and I have only done them a few time.

Tonight it goes:
    5 to 10 min warmup

Squats 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

6. Kevbo79

Kevbo79 Active Member

Just checking in again and I like reading your posts. It sucks when you fall off track and get down on yourself, but you keep coming back and trying to improve things. I'm happy for you. try to remember those things when you feel down on yourself. Try to remember that you are pushing through and you keep on finding ways to do things better... that's what it takes to be successful at something - you need to keep improving on what you know.

Anyways, keep up the good work

7. Kevbo79

Kevbo79 Active Member

just saw one of your older posts... bodybuilding.com is a great site. You can get some really good, technical advice if you need. I'd be interested to see what type of advice you get from there; I think they are a more popular site than this one, they also have a ton of articles on almost any type of nutrition, diet, or exercise plan. That's where I go for my info.

again, good luck and take care

8. Kevbo79

Kevbo79 Active Member

If you spent your days just working out legs, you'd burn a ton of fat. Working out legs builds testosterone and more testosterone means your other muscles grow more. The more muscle you have in your body the more fat you burn. If we only every worked out our legs and our back, we'd all be pretty lean and healthy. I'm not saying we should, but technically we could and we'd look great.

9. fitforever10

Hey man sorry, I got the email notification you replied - yeah I have no updated this journal but in a way that's been a good thing. I've been doing a self help on binge eating (bought this book called Shrink Yourself) and have been following the Stronglifts workout plan. Everything is going good so far, I haven't binged. The reason is because I've been doing my plan and trying to focus on other areas of my life more now. You know the problems that need to work out. I have a lot to workout on but I at least make the right judgment that food will not help me. I had a recent date that went to hell, I'm not sure who's to blame but it probably goes all around (but much on me).

As far as workouts I'm up to 70 lbs. on squats, 55 on overhead press, 90 on deadlift, 70 on benchpress. I'm doing other things like pushups, reverse crunches, and inverted rows. I do the workout three times per week (Mon, Wed, Fri) fllowed by 15 min cardio. Tuesdays and Thursdays I do 45 min cardio.

10. Kevbo79

Kevbo79 Active Member

ha... made me laugh.

I'll just let you know from my own personal experience that when I'm going through things and not overly happy or confident, dating isn't a good idea. If you're not feeling light hearted or happy and you go on a date, it won't be fun and easy going. Then, if you have a bad date, which tends to happen at those times, it will make you feel even worse and it's not good on the self esteem. Then you try to go out on a date again, and it happens again. It's a blow on the self esteem. It's like getting beaten up, then going back to get beaten up again... not necessarily the funnest experience.

I try to avoid the dating when I'm not feeling the greatest because it may just make me feel worse. I take care of the things in my life that need to be taken care of so I feel happy, then when I am happy I start thinking about dating again.

Either way, it sounds like you're doing the right things. I'm happy you bought that book about the binge eating. I hope it helps. It's sometimes easier and quicker to learn from other peoples trials and errors instead of your own.

11. fitforever10

ARGH!! Sometimes this is a good place to vent.

I had a baaaad day in the gym today. Struggled to squat 65 lbs!! Managed to bench 65 lbs, could not do any inverted rows, and could barely do any reverse crunches. Felt sooooo horrible tonight. I did 45 minutes of cardio yesterday, I am wondering if that "fatigued" me down by chance?? Feel really bad :(

12. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

Meh, bad training days are typical. Don't let them get you down, it could be that you're body's fighting off a bug or something. Use it as motivation for next time.

13. fitforever10

Had another so/so day. Did 45 minutes of cardio on the elliptical.......BARELY. When I got out of the gym I could barely walk and I felt so exhausted when I got home. At least my diet has been really good and I'm FINALLY starting to feel a difference. However, as the week goes on I feel more and more exhausted. Monday was good, Tuesday I did cardio and ever since then I have been on a downhill slope as far as workouts go.

14. fitforever10

**** yeah!! Today was amazing. I squatted 65 pounds, overheaded pressed 55, and did the deadlift at 95!!! I'm sure these aren't big numbers but for me it was good. I feel so amazing. This morning I woke up and I was really fatigued so I ate two big bowls of oatmeal. I think I was running low on carbs and that's why I was so wornout. But yeah, definitely a good workout. Heading home now, got a date tomorrow night. Will keep clean this weekend with meals except my date night. :D

15. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Good job man. Always feels good to have a great workout. I love the days when you go in and you feel like you're just killin it in there. Keep it up man.

16. Kevbo79

Kevbo79 Active Member

ha...play on playaa!!

17. fitforever10

Had a pretty solid weekend. Date went pretty good, agreed to go out again. Going to focus on this week now and see how I progress. I've been stuck at 65 lbs squats, so I really awnt to try and add those additional 5 pounds sometime this week.

I kinda screwed up Friday when I was squatting, I went down and not sure why but I looked down and my neck was sore for a few days. Feels okay now but need to be careful. I know I haven't been updating this too much but I guess that is kind of good looking back, at least my eating habits have been under control!

18. fitforever10

I have been slacking on my journal but I want to check in and make sure I still hold myself to my plan, as I have been doing.

I have been doing very good progress and pleased.

Squats are up to 75 pounds. Deadlifts at 105. Overhead press at 65. Bench at 100, and I have been working on barbell rows as well at 55.

I would like to admit everyday for me has been an uphill battle. The urge to binge eat is strong, and food is always tempting me when I see issues in my life on a day to day basis. But I have been doing my self help book, slowly leaning off it, and am now at two weeks binge free. I am becoming more and more conscious of my binge eating habits and am finding new ways to combat the cravings.

One thing I have been doing is going to the gym with any stress or worries in my life on my mind. It has done me wonders. I use that to fuel my workouts and get those extra reps out and to push myself to the limits. I can tell you these past two weeks I have had the most amazing workouts I have ever had. When I walk out of the gym I feel like a walking god at times and my confidence is at an all time high.

19. Kevbo79

Kevbo79 Active Member

That's what I use for my motivation... it beats the stress away. And the confidence keeps getting stronger the more you do it, it becomes who you are, not just after working out.

Keep it up, and enjoy yourself there.

20. fitforever10

Yep, I have been doing good. It feels like I actually have my act together. I actually looked in the mirror today and am starting to look "different". I have no clue what my weight is as my scale has been tossed, and I no longer count my calories. I seem to be successful with this method.

BUT, as I mentioned, everyday has been a battle. Yesterday I was really exhausted when I was doing cardio and I couldn't finish. I felt disappointed, and my body then started to crave food (to "cope" with the disappointment). I managed to come home and just deal with it. I took a shower, ate dinner, played some video games. The cravings actually got pretty intense but I never gave in. Tonight I am doing my workout, and then I am going out to some clubs with friends.