1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

my project

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by Jono, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

what is it? :whistle:

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      51.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

i think the question is: what's it going to be?

3. Proctorjc

Proctorjc Well-Known Member

Well, shucks. Looks to me like a lot of fun.

Jeff.

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

sweeet bike, I can see it being alot of things....have fun with that bro!

5. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

1999 yamaha r6.. was intended to be a race/track bike.. but insted i am going to street the bike and turn it into a track/race bike next year

6. Evil Hx Coupe

Evil Hx Coupe Well-Known Member

Great project!!! I wish I knew enough about bikes to start from scratch like that.

I was going to get an 04 R6 but I decided it was too much money for a first bike so I'm getting a used 00 CBR600f4i, hopefully by next week. I'll post some pics.

:tu:

7. --D--

--D-- Well-Known Member

I got a 125cc street bike last year. It turned out to be a good decision to go small for my first bike because I was able to get it cheap, learn quickly, and avoided one or two drops cause I was able to muscle the thing up (It's only 300 pounds.). The biggest drawback to the bike is that it only hits 60 mph top speed, but I don't need to get on the highway or interstate to go anywhere in my town. I think next year I'm going to look for a used 2003 or 2004 sv650 and trade up.

Jono and Evil Hx Coupe: How much is insurance going to run you guys. I noticed you are both on the wrong side of the age discount for insurance in the USA.

#7 --D--, Apr 22, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  8. fatboylvr2000

fatboylvr2000 Well-Known Member

One of my best friends just bought a 2004 R6. Sweet bike. Super quick. Unfortunately he can only afford liability insurance and he's 29.

9. Chopaholic

I'm on the "wrong side of the age discount" and I pay about $400 to run a 96 Triumph Tiger (885). I get a multi-car discount and a safe driver discount, but no discount for taking it off the road for a few months (no choice about that up here).

The SV650 is an awesome bike. I am very much a fan. I think it's a very nice looking bike, and it's supposed to be super-nimble and torquey. Not sure about your impression of the top speed? I've seen quotes more along the lines of 120 - 130 mph.

10. --D--

--D-- Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, I had to edit my post because I goofed. I meant that my current bike's top speed is about 60 mph. :o My insurance company automatically deducts the price according to where you live (based on average rideable weather).

Insuring a sports bike for someone who is young is insanely expensive here. I've seen cases where the price of full coverage insurance for one year was as high as the cost of the bike. Is the tiger classified as a standard?

11. Chopaholic

I can't remember... but I would think so, at that price. Which is actually $522. My insurance agent told me flat-out: "we don't like to insure bikes."

:mad:

12. Evil Hx Coupe

I got a quote from geico for 475 bucks a year... not bad for me being 20 yrs old.

Insurance isnt required for bikes in Florida, but I'm still thinking of getting it.

13. --D--

--D-- Well-Known Member

Is that for liability only?

14. Evil Hx Coupe

Liability and conprehensive.

15. AndrewJones

AndrewJones Well-Known Member

for those smaller kind of bikes do you need a special motorcycle licencse?

Also i have heard its kind of hard to drive motorcycles, is this the case?

16. --D--

--D-- Well-Known Member

You need a motorcycle license to drive any street legal motorcycle. Street legal probably varies state to state (motor size). They are challenging to learn at first, but after some practice it gets better. Starting out on a fast bike will make it harder and more dangerous to learn because twitchy throttle and brakes will be harder to control and can cause bad things if you grab too much at once.

Check out www.beginnerbikes.com for information on how to get started if you are interested. They are a little conservative, but better safe than sorry.

17. Evil Hx Coupe

D, you think a CBR600f4i is too much as a first bike?

18. Chopaholic

I highly recommend a Motorcyle Safety Federation (MSF) course. It's a two day course that teaches you the basics of road riding on small, light bikes that you can muscle around if you start to get into trouble. It's a great, safe way to get your feet wet, and in NH at least exempts you from taking the state's road test in order to get your motorcycle operator's license. You should be able to get more information on the course from your DMV.

19. Chopaholic

My 885 Tiger was my first bike. That being said, you can get into a lot of trouble with something as torquey and "flickable" as a 600cc sport-tuned bike. Do you have any riding experience?

20. swschmidt

swschmidt Well-Known Member

SV650s

The SV650 is an awesome bike, I bought one last September and only got to ride it about 40 miles before it got too cold (d@mn Cleveland weather)...It is starting to warm up again and I have finally got to take it out and enjoy it a bit. Definitely a great starter bike. :tu:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]