1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

My plan of attack - please review

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by tammy, Feb 23, 2011.

1. tammy

tammy Well-Known Member

Firstly, thanks so much to everyone who's helped me in my other threads and thanks in advance to those who reply here.:tucool:

My Current Situation
    height: 5' 3"
    weight: about 108 (haven't weighed myself in a while and don't want to use my weight at this time of month as a jumping off point)
    chest: 31.5"
    waist: 27.5 - 28.5" depending on time of day
    hips: 34.5"
    I'm currently unemployed so I have a lot of time but limited funds

goals
    1. add muscle, especially at the butt, chest, and shoulders to create a more feminine/less boyish shape
    2. reduce body fat to create a more overall toned looke

Major issues
    1. very little muscle mass
    2. a lot of fat for my size, especially around the waist
    3. I'm neurotic from years of worrying about gaining weight. I know that I should expect to gain some weight during the "bulk" phase but I had to put the scale in the closet because actually seeing it makes me panic and be tempted to severely cut calories.
    4. I lose focus and get bored during workouts so a lot of the time I'll split up the workout throughout the day - e.g. doing a set then go off to do some chore or watch TV for a little while then get back to the workout. I'm not sure if this impedes my progress. I do the whole workout but over the course of a couple hours instead of crammed back to back.
    5. I'm very inconsistent with my sleep. Sometimes I can't get to sleep and other times I can't stop sleeping. Lately I've been sleeping all the time - I'm not sure how much is the workout, being depressed (feeling lonely and recently realized that a money making venture was a failure), or just plain laziness.
    6. I'm extremely inflexible so I'm trying to make stretching a focus each day

Workout plan
    All weighted exercises are done with dumbbells and reps will depend on my ability with the weights I have available. My dumbbells are adjustable but I have to either adjust by 5 lb increments or have uneven weights, which annoys me.

I tried to build a plan based on the advice I was given and my current abilities. Mastover advised me to end the workout days with the cardio so I scheduled that for each day but I didn't make it clear that I have the time to split days any way I need to. I've read in other threads to do cardio on separate days so I'm not sure if I should eliminate the after workout cardio and just add in a cardio day for a 4 day cycle instead.

Day 1
    chest
    bench press/ 3 sets X 8 to 15 reps
    pec fly/ 3 sets X 8 to 15 reps

legs/butt/arms
    squats/ 3 sets X 8 to 15 reps
    stiff leg dead lifts/ 3 sets X 8 to 15 reps (not sure where these should go. exrx.net lists dead lifts in a couple sections)
    forward step ups/ 3 sets X 8 to 15 reps
    lateral step up/ 3 sets X 8 to 15 reps
    lunges w/ bicep curls/ 3 sets X 10 reps
    chair dips (as a sub for real dips)/ 3 sets done to exhaustion
    stretching

Day 2
    shoulders/back
    bent over row/ 3 sets X 8-15 reps
    shrug/ 3 sets X 15-20 reps
    Shoulder press (as a sub for military press)/ 3 sets X 8-15

abs
    bicycle crunches/ 3 sets of 35 (increasing reps with ability)
    reverse crunches / 3 sets of 35 (increasing reps with ability)
    push sit ups / 3 sets X 10 reps
    side bends / 3 sets X 15 reps
    stretching
    break for a few hours
    10-15 minutes of cardio
    stretching

Day 3
    Rest Day - extended stretching or yoga (haven't decided yet)

repeat the cycle

Reason for the plan
    Since I have the time and have a lot of difficulty gaining muscle mass I wanted a fairly intensive workout. However, I find that since so many workouts use the arms I wanted to split up the exercises that require use of the arms so I can put more energy into each one.

Diet
    I'm trying to follow Mastover's advice of 30g protein, 20g carbs, 12g fat, though not with much success. Right now I'm aiming for 1700-1800 calories split between 5 meals/snacks each day and then adjust as needed every couple weeks.

My biggest issue is that I'm a compulsive grocery shopper and have a lot of bad food around and I'm too poor to just throw several hundred dollars out. My plan is to compromise by incorporating the good foods with the foods I have until it's gone then just quit buying the crap. The problem with this compromise is that it makes it almost impossible to hit the macros given to me. I plan to buy protein powder to help balance things out.

#1 tammy, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. spatzcat_11

spatzcat_11 Active Member

My biggest issue is that I'm a compulsive grocery shopper and have a lot of bad food around and I'm too poor to just throw several hundred dollars out. My plan is to compromise by incorporating the good foods with the foods I have until it's gone then just quit buying the crap. The problem with this compromise is that it makes it almost impossible to hit the macros given to me. I plan to buy protein powder to help balance things out.[/quote]

I can't really comment on the workouts, I don't have much knowledge beyond a full body workout because that is what I do...

but, I can comment on the diet. If you are serious about this, don't throw your bad food out -- give it to a soup kitchen, or a shelter, or something like that. Eating it, will hinder your progress....don't go at it half ass, just do it!:claphigh:

3. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Your goals IMHO are at odds. A teenage boy doesn't look girlish partly because his BF tends to be low. I doubt at your height/weight your bf is that high.

If you're bulking you can eat a little crap. Honestly if your careful you can eat a bit of crap while cutting to. I wouldn't suggest eating crap if you were on a low calorie diet but on bulking diet you can . The one issue is the fats in crap isn't likely to be good fats.