1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

My (ongoing) transformation with a ketogenic diet

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by Lichborne, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Lichborne

Lichborne Active Member

BACKGROUND: So for most of my life I was a very active person. I played soccer for 9 years, including D1. I played basketball, baseball, and tennis. When I was 17 I had a serious dislocation in my left knee from playing basketball. This basically led to me stopping sports completely. Since then I've dislocated my knee two more times.

Fast forward to now, I had of course become fat due to a very poor diet including a lot of fast food and beer. At my biggest I was 235lbs. I had tried several times in the past to drop the weight, unsuccessfully obviously, by calorie counting and lowfat diets.

I began seeing a friend post about paleo based diets, and saw a recommendation for the movie Fathead. Despite some minor factual errors in the movie I can safely say it changed my life. I picked up several books about low carb dieting, including Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. I had heard about Atkins and whatnot before, but never put much stock into it until I started doing serious research into the science behind it and the politics of nutrition in the US.

On January 15th, 2012 at 235.6lbs I began a strict ketogenic diet, keeping my carb intake limited to roughly 20-30g per day. The weight practically melted off. On July 15th I weighed in at 191.0lbs for a total weight loss of 44.6lbs.

FUTURE: My initial goal weight was 180lbs. Right now I'm still working toward that weight and think it's a good first goal. Once I hit 180 I'm going to reevaluate where I am and go from there. I'm not as concerned with my weight now so much as the amount of fat on my body and I'd like to build muscle. This is why I've decided to start lifting seriously starting with Stronglifts 5x5.

I've done some reading on athletic training on low carb diets as well, and I think I can do it. From what I've read, most people encounter serious problems switching from a 'normal' diet to a low carb diet while training heavy. I've heard Gary Taubes and several doctors attribute this to being under serious strain while still undergoing a ketoadaptive process, a process I've already gone through months ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Looking good, man. That is a nice transformation already. It sounds like you are armed with a good bit of knowledge. It will be interesting to watch you grow as you expand your knowledge of resistance training and start pushing yourself with respect to lifting.

Go kill it. :tu:

3. Lichborne

Lichborne Active Member

Thanks man! It's cliche, but knowledge is power. I've read a lot about the science of nutrition, what insulin does to our bodies, what affects insulin levels etc. It's important for me to know how the food I eat affects my body.

I ordered a copy of Starting Strength 2ed by Mark Rippetoe to read for lifting introductions. I've been reading and watching a ton of stuff by EliteFTS as well. Jim Wendler and Dave Tate are beasts.