1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

My mom wants to lose a few pounds...

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by karatetricker, Apr 6, 2004.

1. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

so she asked me to devise her a diet plan. Basically I'm just wondering how much some of you women consume in a day, calories wise. I know the kinds of foods she should be eating, not sure exactly the calorie requirements. She's 48 yrs old, ~5'1" and weighs probably around 130lbs (I don't know for sure).

She'll be doing cardio for 30-40mins, 5-6x's/week but no weight lifting. I was thinking 1600 calories/day. Is that too high, too low? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

Um..has she hit menopause yet? I think you have to put that into consideration. Also her estrogen levels and things like that should be checked I think? How is her blood pressure? I know every year after 30 women lose bone mass so our metabolism slows down 100 cals. Well I'm 134 and I eat about 1400 cals a day, 30 min cardio @ 160 bpm, alternate 20 min weights, and I lose .5-1 lb a day. That's great you are helping your mom lose weight! :tucool:

3. karatetricker

Hmm, only 1400 huh? I thought you were eating more than that. Well, maybe I'll start her higher and have her gradually knock it down as the weeks go by. She just wants to lose like 10lbs by Summer, so it's no rush, but I don't want to let her down. haha

Thanks for the input!

4. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

I'm 120, and I eat 1800 to 2000 calories a day. (Try to stick closer to 1800.) How much does your mom want to lose?

EDIT: I ask because that's a lot of cardio, and 1600 might not be enough depending on her goals. . .

5. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

Freemason, you are 120 and eat 2000 cals a day? Could you post your daily menu? :) After this month I will most likely begin to maintain so I'll have to eat 1800-2000 cals a day then. Do you have extreme free days? Today is my free day and I will have consumed around 3500 cals so the 1400 I eat during the week compensates for today.

6. karatetricker

She wants to lose like 10 pounds she said. The cardio isn't that much, 5-6x's per week, 30-40 mins at pretty low intensity. It's all she does though for exercise. She is an in-home tutor to autistic kids, so she doesn't get to move around much.

7. Teriliel

Teriliel Well-Known Member

I alternate my calorie intake to (hopefully) prevent a plateau. I eat 1700 calories for 2 weeks and then 2000 calories for 2 weeks. I'm currently at 178.5 lbs. and I'm 5'3". I've lost 14 lbs. over the last 11 weeks. I am doing weight training so my weight loss is probably slower than what your mom will see since she isn't trying to build muscle.

8. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

Sure, I'll have to do it later though. I'm off for lunch right now, and I don't have enough time. :)

9. piel2000

piel2000 Well-Known Member

well this week i lost 5 lb. and maintained a rather weird diet. i did not count calories but what i did is watched what kind of activities that i did if it was high intense i ate higher calories, low intense lower calories, but i never just ate 3 meals a day. i tried my best to eat at least 6 a day just smaller portion. try to get your mom to do this so her energy level will not go down. whithin your mom should know what her body needs and how much it needs.
    I HAVE NO PATIENTS TO COUNT CALORIES!! :D