1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

my lifting routin

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by freelancer, Jan 31, 2004.

1. freelancer

freelancer Well-Known Member

I read a post on the mens health board and the guys said to lable your work outs A,B,C,and D and then every week mix them up. so here is mine.

A: Chest and Tri's
    B: Back and Bi's
    c: Shoulder and ABS
    d: Legs

i do 2 set of 15-18 reps. Dumbells i use 17 pounds, and the bar i use 25 :o

Chest: Dumbell Flys
    Bench Press
    Decline B.P.
    Incline B.P.

Tris: Tricep push down
    Over head Tricep press
    kickbacks
    Lying Tricep Extensions

Back: Back Flys
    Bent-over rows
    Heavy pants
    Dead Lifts(im not sure if this works the back, but i do it anyway)

Bi's: Curls
    Hammer Curls
    Reverse Curls
    Concentration Curls

Shoulders: Shoulder Press
    Swimmers Press
    Lat Pull down (wide and narrow grips)
    Upright Rows

Legs: Lex Extensions
    One leg calf raise
    Lying Leg extensions
    Lunges
    Squats

I have two question, one im only doing them 4 days a week, should i be doing them more i want to build the muscle faster? And two, I only take about 20-25 min doing them, is that normal? Should i be taking longer to finish?

2. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

4 days a week? Its fine.

20-25 minutes normal? Depends on you. you're only doing 2 sets per exercise with high reps. Reduce the reps and increase the weight. Two sets are fine (IMO) as long as you lift with sufficient weight and intensity. Note - this does not include warmups. Typically, my sessions last about 60 minutes. I can finish faster if I superset.

By the way, Deadlifts work your back as well as your entire body.

legs: drop the lying leg extensions and add some leg curls or Straight Leg Deadlifts (SLDL) to directly work your hamstrings.

3. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

The first thing I noticed is that you do a lot of isolation exercises. You should really concentrate on compound exercises (those that use more than one joint).

eg. with your Chest/Tris workout you did 4 exercises for chest and 4 for your triceps. IMO this is too much for your triceps. They will get worked with your chest exercises. Throw in dips (great compound movement) and do one tricep isolation exercise and that should be sufficient.

I noticed that for your shoulders workout you listed Lat Pulldown. This exercise works your back and to a lesser extent your bis and forearms. Perform it in your back workout.

As hobbes said, 4 day per week is fine as long as you work hard. As you begin to adapt lower the reps and increase the weight to put on more mass.

Deadlifts are a great exercise. Not enough people do them.

Apart from some exercise selection and lower the reps that program is fine. As you get more experienced you will be able to tune it to your liking.

cheers

Marcus

4. freelancer

freelancer Well-Known Member

Marcus and hobbes thanks for the advice, i'm going to work on the suggestions you guys gave me.

5. map200uk

map200uk Well-Known Member

15-18 reps, what u trying to achieve mate? Is that not a bit high for reps

Mark