1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

My chest lifts are really low

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by scohen158, Mar 27, 2012.

1. scohen158

scohen158 Well-Known Member

How do I improve them I have never seemed to be able to bench press well maybe it's poor technique but even at my best 135 lbs was a struggle. Now with where I am on a calorie deficit and cutting/losing weight in general since I am overweight and need to get in shape.

What is the best way to improve these lifts?

Currently I can do 3 sets of 10 Incline Dumbell Bench Press with 20 Pounds in each arm. By the 3rd set the last few reps get very hard to get up. I use a chest press machine and can do 55 pounds for 3 sets of 10. If I up the weight the number of reps I can do to failure drop off significantly. 70 pounds drops for like 3 sets of 6 reps for example and getting the 6th rep on the 2nd and 3rd set are pretty difficult and yesterday I was unable to do more then 4 on the 3rd set at 70 pounds on the Chest Press.

I usually do my chest press exercises first so I have the most energy as these results get worse when I do flys, rows, rear delt flys etc (other exercises I do on chest/back day) first.

So what do you recommend to increase these lifts?

2. jessie

jessie Well-Known Member

How is your tricep and front delt strength? These muscles play a big part of any type of bench press. Lat strength is also a part of the bench press. As your lats triceps and front delts get stronger you should get better at any chest pressing exercise.

3. user786

user786 Active Member

Improving strength on a calorie defecit is difficult . Your best bet IMO would be to work at a lower end of the rep range upto 5 reps and try increasing the weight a little each session

4. scohen158

I think my tricep strength is ok again just getting back to working out I do 3 sets of 10 Rope Pushdowns 70 lbs each set and 3 sets of 10 over head dumb bell extensions 35 pounds. I am confident I could do a little more but have been gradually increasing.

No clue on my front delt strength which lifts would I do that affect them?

I think I will try lower reps higher weight as user786 has suggested and hope I can notice some results. It has always seemed to be a weakness of mine but then again I have yet to get to a point where I am eating maintaining levels or even bulking levels of calories while I workout so maybe that has a greater effect on things then I thought.

5. wwwolf

wwwolf Member

Skip all the accessory lifts and just do flat bench and either barbell rows or kroc rows to keep your back in balance. There is no reason to do flyes at this point. I'm not sure there is a good reason to do rear delt flyes ever. There's no secret to increasing your bench press. You just have to keep at it. However, you can make it easier on yourself organizationally by simplifying your workout. If you only have access to a chest press machine you might be better off just doing pushups.

6. scohen158

I have access to a fixed barbell rack so I can do bench on that not sure if the bar weight the same since it has the safety parts. What would you suggest for a chest/ back workout? If I could do pushups I would currently am not able.

7. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Dips and standing BB press will do wonders for your bench.

8. wwwolf

wwwolf Member

i would just do barbell or dumbbell bench two or three times per week. Barbell is best, but depends on what equipment you have.

Follow that with some sort of rowing motion. Barbell rows, kroc rows, or cable/machine rows.

That's it for upper body. Throw in some curls if you want.

Once you can bench press your body weight then start adding in other exercises.

A heavy bench will work your triceps and front delts and the rows will work your biceps, lats and rear delts. You don't really need to do much else unless you have specific issues (I do some cable stuff for rotator cuff) or you want to do isolation work for body building.

google Starting Strength and try to do something sort of like that, but with whatever equipment you have access to. It's the most bang for your buck at your level.

9. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

These are good recommendations.

10. scohen158

Thanks for the advice. I will change up my routine a bit to add in barbell/dumb bell presses 2-3 times a week to get the muscles used more. Benching body weight is a while off but as I lose weight they will eventually get closer.

11. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

Mark Rippetoe says that people who improve their chinups and pullups see great improvment in their presses as well. Maybe work on that as well.

12. jmike

jmike Active Member

if you are trying to get stronger while on a calories deficit -- it will be hard -- but you will have to make sure you have adequate protein intake

13. scohen158

I am taking in 200-220 grams of protein a day so that is good. I have changed to doing weights before cardio because I guess cardio first then weights is a big no no or so I was told by Mastover.

14. jmike

jmike Active Member

excellent advice ... you'll want to save that energy for lifting if you want to get stronger

i am a big fan of zero cardio on lifting days --- the more you break down your muscles in the gym, the more calories your body will spend repairing those muscles outside the gym.

cardio is an excellent tool to use when your fat loss has stopped, stalled, or slowed down to a crawl.

15. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Here's something you could try for bench:-

Most people are weak at the bottom of the lift, when the bar is down near their sternum.

They can't get it back up because mechanically this is the most dis-advantaged part of the form.

IF you have a bench that has adjustable safety bars on it (that can handle a lot of weight)......lower them so that the bar sits across it about one inch above your chest.

Now practise lifting (with elbows tucked) from a dead stop at the bottom.
    Lift it up , lower it back down and let the bar rest until you lift again.

Combine these ,off and on, with upper partials.

Set the safeties high so you only have to lower the bar about 4 or 6 inches from upper rack.

Just about all people can lift hugely more weight (and I mean HUGELY more weight)from the upper rack and lower it about 6 inches and let it rest. (you may have to deload the bar to set it back up there again).

As we speak , because I took a long layoff I'm up to 185lbs on my bench done in "normal "fashion.

If I go "upper partial" I can hit 330lbs.

So it adds a little extra stimulation above and beyond normal.

The lower bar lift I described is good too for training yourself on getting the bar back up from bottom.

If you want a good bench.......then bench. Don't bother with Dumbell Flyes or Dumbell Benches.
    Think about it:-
    If a guy can bench 150lbs.....why is he doing D/B Pec Flyes with a 25lb weight in each hand...and why is he doing D/B Chest Presses with a 40lb weight in each hand?
    Nowhere near the weight he is benching.
    Leave those exes for the juicers and primadonnas.

Or save them for AFTER you have benched.

Also another way to improve your bench is to do weighted DIPS.

And as another poster mentioned.......working the antagonists can help.

Do a set of benching and then go the chin bar and do some palms-facing close grip chins.

Alternate the sets.

If you do lots of benching it's a good idea to do "facepulls' at the end of the session for your overall shoulder joints. You can use res-bands or pulleys or cables. Keeps the shoulder joints healthy.

#15 HevyMetal, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012