1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

My Bench Shirt Exploded!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Eman7673, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eman7673

Eman7673 Well-Known Member

Hey, its official, my first bench shirt has exploded. I was on my first rep, it was only 350, but my shirt was on its last legs, so it split down the middle when I was lowering the bar down. Since that happened, I had to rush two new ones in from Inzer, they should be good enough. This ever happen to anyone?

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I've never used a bench shirt before, but an exploding bench shirt seems like a recipe for bad things. Don't they usually explode at the bottom of the lift? Seems like, in those situations in which one is lifting maximal loads that exceed one's raw capacity, that an exploding shirt could result in shoulder/pec injuries. Did you get hurt?

Bench shirts kinda scare me -- Not only for the exploding reason, but because people get out of their "groove" and end up dropping the bar on themselves. I was reading an account on BB.com of some guy who got out of his groove and dropped a few hundred pounds on his face. Ouchies.

3. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think I will ever use a bench shirt.

4. Fender

Fender Well-Known Member

Im just curious about these. Isnt the point to lift weights to see how much you can lift? So why would you use something that is going to increase your bench while not giving you a real test of strength since its enbabling you? Sorry if that doesnt make sense lol. Its early and Im about to go do cardio.

Also, glad to hear you werent hurt. I think a situation like that could have gone alot worse.

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Haha. It'd be better if you never asked that question. :bang: I'll be surprised if this thread doesn't reach 3+ pages after it.

I guess you can sum it up by saying: in a powerlifting competition, the point is simply to lift the most weight.

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

For a lot of guys, the point is to win. And if those guys use the shirt, and you don't, you will not win. Everyone draws their own line somewhere - what you would not do just to win. My brother went along with the shirt and squat suit, but never drugs. He eventually retired from the "natural" competition because he became convinced that not everyone in those was really natural. He didn't feel wonderful about the shirts and suits, but it wasn't that different than using a belt in his mind. But he's always liked deadlifting best because the clothes do not make the man. IF you ask him his max lifts, he always says "but that was with a suit" about his squat. He's proudest of his deadlift, which had no shirt and no suit.

If you're going to compete in an event with equipment, you will end up using the equipment that works best for you. Because if you're the sort of person that doesn't really desire to win the competition, then you're the sort of person that doesn't really need to even enter the competition at all, either.

7. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

And it's getting crazy!!!!

8. Fender

Fender Well-Known Member

Very true. You make good points. Maybe they should have a no suit competition and a suit enabled one.

How many pounds can it add to your bench anyway? I see guys at the Y using them. They really pack themselves in those things boy.

#8 Fender, May 15, 2006
    Last edited: May 16, 2006
  9. Eman7673

Eman7673 Well-Known Member

I wasnt hurt or anything, I had a good spot, so everything turned out ok. I actually got that shirt off of ebay, so it was used, thats why it gave way. I'm going to wear the new shirt for a contest this saturday, thats why I need it.

10. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

A lot. World record with a shirt is 1000 lbs or so and that guy can only do 600 or so raw. Best raw bench in the world is 733 or something around there. I think they are stupid as sh*t and a total travesty to all that is right with the world, but then, as mentioned earlier, we've had threads on this topic ad tedium, so I don't need to expound on it ;)

11. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

I agree with fender. I am a total weightlifting noob so indulge me. What the f*ck is a bench shirt?

That may be the No. 1 silliest thing I have ever heard. Like cheating on your SATs then failing out of college.

12. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

There aren't separate divisions in PLing for people who want to lift raw?

13. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

Many feds have raw divisions. There are raw federations. In the old days, lifters would lift in a tight cotton t-shirt and wrap their elbows and wrists. Elbow wraps are now illegal. Some feds are single-ply, meaning the shirt is single ply polyester. Carryover varies widely, depending on bench style and shirt type, but this whole +300/400 lbs is strictly urban legend...lift raw if you want, I'm going raw this weekend....just me and my belt.

14. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Ok, I've been quiet lately. I'll throw gas on the fire.

The achievement is as real as it is false. In and of itself, even with the shirt, the weight was lifted by a human being capable of awesome, raw power. Knowing nothing of powerlifting, I'll say that if it's in a competition where some use a shirt and others don't, those who use it should get the same "asterisk" by their name(s) a la Mark McGuire and Barry Bonds. I dunno about y'all, but I can't live with a false achievement. They'd have to live it for the rest of their lives.

Disguise it however they may, performance enhancement is performance enhancement and the achievement, in my opinion, is no achievement at all. It's not valid to me.

-R

15. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I agree -- Now instead of a competition of strength, we get a competition to see who can obtain the most optimal combination of strength + ability to use a piece of lifting equipment. I don't necessarily have a problem with people who do shirted lifts, but I don't think the shirted record (now held by Mendelson at 1,008 pounds), should get the same sort of prestige as the raw lift -- Because eventually, somebody is going to crawl under the bar in some bulletproof hydraulic shirt with industrial springs inside and bench 2000 pounds. To which I say, big deal. I am much more impressed with raw lifts.

That is one reason why I'd never use a shirt -- mainly because I am more interested in getting stronger than I am in getting my bench up. I don't blame Eman7673 though, because he has to play by their rules in order to compete ... but, I think the powerlifting world would be much better off without all this bogus equipment.

16. cajunman

Should everyone who beat Zola Budd get an asterisk by their name because they wore shoes? If I go to a meet and lift raw in the open division, which I can certainly do if I want, or even if I go to a meet and lift in the open division but say without all the allowed equipment - knee wraps but no squat suit, why does everyone else get an asterisk by their name because they used the equipment allowed by the rules (which in my fed is a single-ply suit or shirt)?

The argument for giving the records of certain baseball players asterisks is because they used steroids when steroids were NOT ALLOWED by their sport. Wearing LEGAL equipment is not comparable.

17. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I'm not speaking of it in terms of legal or illegal; I could care less about the status of the shirts in the sport. It's performance enhancement and without it, the feat could not have been achieved.

Zen expressed the rest of the sentiment appropriately. I've said my piece and will let it stand at that.

-R

18. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

Stupid comparison (on numerous levels). If everyone that beat Zola Budd were riding a Yamaha YZ80, then you could give an asterisk.

I'm gonna invent a bench 'shirt' that has a 6-ton double ram bottle jack in the sleeves and kick all your asses anyway. Wouldn't matter that I can only bench 180 x 3.

19. cajunman

You pop in to "throw gas on the fire" and then leave?

"without it, the feat could not have been achieved"...How many world swimming records do you place asterisks by in your book? The introduction of the bodysuit was very controversial at the time - it changed the interface between the skin and the water, increased buoyancy, and muscle compression enhances muscular function. Yet there have been other advancements that have altered the swimming world...the old lane lines used to be nylon cord with a cork every three feet, now they're triple-stack large-baffle wave-breakers - do you think world record times could be achieved in a pool without wave-breakers? The old suits used to be cloth, then paper - now the once-controversial bodysuit...
    Do you put asterisks by triathlon winners as well? The triathlon wetsuit reduces surface friction and enhances buoyancy - I daresay most winners couldn't "achieve the feat" of their times without it...
    There is an exhibit at the Smithsonian on technological advancements and running...sole design, lightweight materials, resilient materials, bringing biomechanists and material scientists together to design shoes...do you think the NYC Marathon winner could run the same time in Chuck Taylors? Or barefoot? Better keep that asterisk handy...

How about the synthetic composite pole versus the bamboo pole in track and field? The clap skate in speedskating? Let me know what you consider "valid" and "invalid" achievements.

There is no "ONE" world record in bench. (Or squat, or deadlift..) There are world records in the different federations. (Mendelson's is not a federation record, because it was a demonstration. Rychlak still has one fed's record.) Each federation has different rules governing equipment. Many have raw divisions, and keep raw records. There is no need for asterisks. I lift single-ply or raw, that's my choice, but I don't disrespect the achievements of others, particularly at the elite level. These guys compete against others wearing the same equipment, and they beat them. Nothing to sneeze at...

As an engineer, you should appreciate that the clothes you wear will help your lift if they have any tightness whatsoever. Tight cotton t-shirt will help your lift. (Read Gordon's Structures or Science of Strong Materials for interesting discussion of fabric strength, cut, and orientation.) The three variables are fabric properties, cut, and tightness (fit). The greater muscle compression, the greater muscle function. East Europeans and Japanese are known for the tightest suits around. Short of lifting naked (unappetizing) or in a muu-muu, engineered fabric advances will increase muscle compression, and increase the weights lifted. Feds can limit fabrics and plies, but with the proliferation of powerlifting federations, anything's legal somewhere...

20. cajunman

Mind explaining how it's stupid? R said that if one person in a competition uses a shirt, and one doesn’t, the one who does should get an asterisk. My example is of a competititor failing to avail themselves of legal equipment - which is precisely similar to R's. Similarly, should a swimmer in a bodysuit get an asterisk if they beat a swimmer in a cloth suit?

For someone who admits to being a noob, my advice would be to listen more before opening your mouth…bench shirts do not have jacks in them, noob. The only variances are fabric (material and thickness) and cut. The only factors which can improve the performance are fabric and tightness. Can you speak intelligently on this subject, or are you just trying to bust my chops?

Last time, there's plenty of feds, bench in a cotton-t if you want. (I'd still recommend you get a tight one.) It's not like you're going to go to a raw meet and compete against someone in a triple-ply denim shirt. :rolleyes:

(From the Irontrybe discussion boards: "I go so raw I won't even use a bar to lift the plates, I mean that's just plain cheating if you ask me." )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.