1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

mustbe time for some accountability

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by mustbesix, Oct 15, 2007.

1. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I'll go ahead and apologize for the lame title. I couldn't come up with anything clever or even good for that matter.

Pretty much the whole reason for starting this journal is that I tend to increase my odds of accomplishing a goal is if it's in writing. Having it posted where others can see my success and failure is just that much more motivation.

I guess the best way to start things is to give some quick facts. I'm 23. I graduated from college in Dec. '06 and now I work full time. My job has motivational programs that anyone can participate in and they save you money on your health insurance, but at the same time someone pushes around a cart full of goodies while we sit at our desk. After college I tried to get in better shape. Everything went well for the first 4 months. I worked out on a semi-regular basis and ate healthy. I lost about 30 lbs in 4 months. After 6 months at my new job, most of it's back. Hopefully this will help me stay on track instead of the typical roller coaster.

2. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Every day I try to get up at a reasonable time, but I just can't seem to do it. I don't have to be at work until 11am so day after day I find myself sleeping until 10. Sleeping that late makes it really hard to really get anything done. 8am is my goal. It's not a super early time to get up, and it almost seems lazy to sleep any later. I know I'm capable of getting up early b/c I've worked 7am-4pm before and I got to work on time or early every day. Either way I'm going to try to get up by 8am. I know John updates his site every day before a certain time so I'm going to try to follow suit and update my journal every day before 8am. Hopefully that will give me more time to do stuff and let me space meals better.

3. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Well, this is day one of being awake at a decent hour. I think winter may be coming to Texas. It is super cold in my apartment this morning. Today is the first day back at work after a 4 day weekend. My job has a use it or lose it vacation policy and people with more tenure have already put in for the entire month of Nov. & Dec so I've been doing four day weeks for about a month, but I'm done with vacation for the rest of the year. BTW, I must have just cranked the A/C last night. The forecasted highs are in the 90s for the rest of the week.

4. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I took measurements for the first time in in 3 months. I'm up 20lbs. That sucks. Not to mention that I slept about 2 hrs later than I wanted too, so I'm pretty annoyed with myself for that. Basically I'm down 5 lbs from when I started in January. I'm basically starting over. The good news is I' don't remember the last time I was this motivated personally and at work. I just got a pretty fat raise that I've been hoping would get approved. I actually want to go to work today for the first time in a month.

5. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

The whole waking up before 8am is going about as poorly as it possibly could. I've managed to do it once.

6. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I really need to get to the grocery store today so I can pick up some healthy food. I'll probably do it this weekend. There is a SAMs club close by so maybe I can get some bulk stuff on the cheap. I'm in money saving mode right now. I just finished off paying my credit card bills, and hopefully I can start saving money for a house.

7. Edub05

Edub05 Active Member

Man I can totally relate to the morning thing! I don't have to be to work until 10:30am and most of the time I sleep until about 9. The thing that has helped me is getting on a regular sleep schedule. If you want to get up by 8, hit they sack at midnight every night! When I did that now I frequently wake up before my alarm goes off. I'm like "great! another half hour!".

-Eric

8. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I've made it the entire week without eating anything but my own cooking. I must say I am looking forward to something other than chicken this weekend. The best part about making my own food has to be the money I save. I haven't swiped my debit card since Sunday. Of course, that also means I've done nothing but go to work and home. I think I should have more of a social life at 23, but it is what is.

9. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Unfortunately I can't just will myself to go to sleep. I have to be tired, take sleeping pills, or just lay in bed for a long time. The only way that I have found that works for me is to have no choice. If I have to be somewhere at 7am everyday, I'll get there but I'll also run on 4 hours of sleep for the first week until I am exhausted and start going to sleep earlier.

10. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I do love the weekend. I get to eat some good food, and I get to watch the UFC fight tonight. The scale says I'm down 4lbs since Monday. Of course, today I weighed first thing in the morning, and Monday I had already eaten. I'll do some measurements in the morning, so that should shed more light on the situation.

11. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

It almost seems like the UFC makes sure the fights are just good enough that I won't start hating it. I doubt anyone reads this anyway but I won't say anything specific about the fights, but there it seems like the 40 bucks was excessive for the show that was put on. I do love the weekend. I had some Hooter's wings and pretty much did nothing all day. Fun times.

12. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I've decided to put off taking measurements until the end of the week. After the weekend I feel a lot fatter from the wings and pizza. Other than back to work and back to eating healthier I got nothing else going on.

13. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I love eating pizza and other food that is terrible for me b/c it tastes good, but I don't fear near as well the next day. The food is good, and I don't know if I'm quite ready to give it up completely. Maybe I will try to cut down on the portion size.

14. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I felt much better this morning than yesterday. Plus, the scale says I've lost 6 lbs in 24 hours. That seems more like where I wanna be. I'm almost out of cheese too, and I don't plan to buy anymore once it's gone. That will only help me clean up my diet even more.

15. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I do at least some push ups every day of the week except Wednesday. It's not as good as what most people do but at least it's something. I'm glad I'm not doing any tomorrow because my right shoulder is killing me.

16. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I've felt like crap the past few days, and I don't eat well when I don't feel well. Either way I ate bad the past couple of days, so I'm going to try to keep the weekend as clean as possible. Maybe I'll get some sushi or something that is fairly healthy. It's the weekend so I have that going for me, and I feel way better than I did the past couple of days.

17. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I just started using ETS from AtLarge. It seems to work pretty good. I'm not near as sore now as I usual from squats. It usually is worse two days later than the next day, so the real test is still to come. Either way, I don't seem as sore as usual. I like being able to walk up stairs at a normal pace, but the DOMS pain is a good sign that what I actually did some work.

18. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I'm probably going to have to start taking food with me to work. Or get up earlier or stay up later. Regardless, I'm not eating enough during the week. I counter calories today and it was about 1200. It was actually less, but I like to round up to make up for stuff like BBQ sauce or mustard that I don't bother to count.

19. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I have alot of a free time to come up with random ideas. So, I watch alot of UFC and other MMA stuff and just about every guy is actually 25 pounds heavier than the "weigh-in" weight. After reading up on weight cutting online I realized the most basic way is to cut out all carbs a couple of days in advance while drinking an insane amount of water. Then 24 hours before weigh in, you completely cut out most food and all water. Of course, fighters also do a ton of cardio during this time to sweat as much as possible and come in completely dehydrated. I didn't really do the whole cardio thing, but I tried the food and water cutting thing. I imagine it'll be about 10-15 pounds of weight loss. It's all water weight and I'm way fatter than your typical fighter, but it was cool to see what happened.

20. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I'm about to head over to Play it Again Sports and see what I can find in terms of an exercise bike and maybe some dumbbells.