1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Musings of a Junkfoodaholic

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by volpushon, Nov 3, 2012.

1. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

I've been lurking without posting for over 5 years. I tried various workouts and diets in the past without much success. In August I started the Couch-to-5k running program with the goal of running a local 5k in October. I had a couple setbacks due to knee pain and eventually had to quit as week 6 and heavy squats were too much on my chicken legs. I also started to wean myself off alcohol (from about 7/wk to 2-4/wk). TV shows and beer, and sports bars with friends are weaknesses of mine. I nearly cut out caffeine except for unsweet tea and an occasional soda in August. In September I started the stronglifts5x5 program and attempted to further get my nutrition in order. I have made some nice gains in strength (for me). I continued the stronglifts5x5 program throughout October. Oddly, every time I consulted the JSF forums for intel, I kept seeing awesome posts by some guy named Mastover, and nearly unanimous reviews about his mentoring/training programs.

I admit I need guidance on what/when/how much I'm stuffing down my throat. So, I am making a sacrifice financially and with my time (as you all know), but I know it will be worth it. I've hired Mastover for 6 months to help me complete some goals. I just received my nutrition and fitness plans from him today. I've been on a clean food diet for three days and alcohol free for 6 days. I just went grocery shopping (again), and yesterday I received my supplements, food scale, and calipers.

Current Stats: 5'9", 169lbs, 22% Bodyfat

Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Jeremy

#1 volpushon, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

If you follow mastover's plans you will do well. However if you cheat or change his plan to suit you, success will be questionable. Good luck.

3. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

Today was the official first day in my fitness and nutrition plan from Mastover. I hit my macros perfectly. I even had a cookout at my parents and took my spicy shredded chicken breast and salad to eat while they feasted on stuff I can't have. It was a great primer introducing them to my diet before the holidays though- hopefully less explaining to do. Tomorrow's meals are planned (thanks myfitnesspal app) and packed- I'm lumping my breakfast and floating snacks into a big smoothie for breakfast/morning snack. Tomorrow's workout is all planned out as well.

Tonight my favorite show, Homeland, is on. I normally would have a fine ale from my Trappist friends in Belgium, but that's off limits for at least 6 months. So I'll settle for some water, liver tablets, and fish oil. Woot. It's amazing how the human mind is conditioned to associate things together.

4. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

Thanks macdiver. Your username is one of my faves since MacGyver is my hero. Whether you planned it or not, I like it.

5. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

Quick entry.... Today's workout was a beast: Chest and biceps. I was glad to have some carbs in my workout drink. Macros were perfect again and I love the liver tabs to fine tune my protein macros. I feel so much healthier already.

6. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

Today was my first HIIT cardio workout ever. I nearly puked after the second ALL OUT interval. It was 45 and rainy here so the neighbors gave this gray haired guy some weird looks as I was choking up that nasty mucus stuff. I choose to do 2 sprint intervals and 2 cycling intervals.

Diet and macros were perfect. I had a nice long conversation with one my mates that may join me in this adventure. He ordered some quality supplements I recommended and we're trying to put a gym together with my equipment and other equipment from a local gym that closed.

7. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

Yesterday was the Mastover leg workout. It was brutal. Thoroughly enjoyed it anyway.

Macros were spot on. Been feeling great except for a slight dull headache for the past few days. Nothing bad enough for Aleve, but noticeable. It might be not quite enough water or some withdrawel from sugar and nachos and pizza and beer and soda.

8. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

I've been taking in a little too much protein when I eat my leftover cooked chicken. I ignorantly was weighing cooked instead of weighing raw then proportioning for my meals. I overshot a few meals by about 10-15g protein I'm afraid. When I cook up a weeks worth of chicken tonight (Mastover's spicy shredded chicken recipe), I will get it right. 3ish lbs of raw chicken at 7oz per meal gives approximately 7 portions. Thankfully I can't screw up my cans of tuna or protein shakes or liver tabs.

I made some awesome chicken soup for the fam last night with some leftover chicken I smoked last Sunday. It looked mighty tasty, but I can't estimate the quantities of ingredients and the noodles aren't in my current approved list yet. I froze some for later...

Some unrelated dates for posterity:
    10.28 - last sip of the alcoholic beverages
    10.31 - 169 lbs, last visit to a restaurant, started eating clean foods and taking creatine
    11.02 - started my ON multi-vitamin and Nordic Naturals fish oil
    11.03 - started taking d-aspartic acid
    11.04 - started Mastover's nutrition program and green tea extract tabs and liver tabs
    11.05 - started Mastover's fitness program and alpha lipoic acid

So... current supplements:
    ON Multi-vitamin
    ON Creatine Monohydrate
    Nordic Naturals Omega 3 fish oil
    Green tea extract
    Alpha lipoic acid
    D-aspartic acid
    Beverly International Ultra 40 dessicated liver tablets

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

#8 volpushon, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  9. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

You're off to a good start keep it up

10. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

Thank you. I plan to.

Today's macros were spot on. I cooked some chicken breasts properly proportioned by raw weight... much easier on the stomach. Had some of the broth from boiling the chicken/spices and threw some mushrooms and carrots in it. Man that hit the spot, I was starving.

Legs/glutes are a little sore from the insane leg workout yesterday. Otherwise, headache was gone most of the day.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good luck. What are your goals. 169 for someone 5'9" sounds pretty lean already. Are you looking to get bigger, or leaner?

12. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

I have a pretty small frame. Wrists are 6.5". Accu-Calipers say I started at 22% bf last week. I want to be around 12%. I definately have fat I need to lose around my midsection, back, and under my chin. I also want to gain mass and strength and be 5k ready. I also need to improve my nutrition and make some lifestyle changes. My 6 month program from Mastover is taking those goals into account. I may post some weekly pics once I show results. Thanks for checking in!

13. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

First week update: Diet has been right on target so far- no cheat meals, no alcohol, no soda. Macros were perfect (after the chicken measuring incident). Weight dropped 4 lbs in the first week of eating clean, but has since stalled. I'm not worried at all, weight loss is not my goal- fat loss is. Waist has gone down a bit, but visually I can tell I am losing the fat layer slowly but surely. I felt strong in all my workouts last week. My energy level is through the roof. My wrist pain is nearly gone, and I don't remain sore from the workouts any longer.

I cleaned out my gutters, installed gutter guards, and mowed yesterday. I was up and down both an extension and step ladder about a hundred times yesterday and didn't miss a beat. I couldn't have done it a month ago... I also didn't skip my cardio, I did some HIIT intervals last night after dinner. I felt like I had a ton left in the tank even after all that. My wife can vouch for that because I knocked out a couple honey-do items in the house before bed.

Start: 10/31 (In September, I was weight training only- not on a strict diet)
    170 lbs
    34.5" at naval
    22-25+% body fat

Current: 11/11
    165.5 lbs
    33.5" at naval
    20% body fat

On an unrelated note, I have food nightmares now. Weird dreams like this... I'm out with friends and they either talk me into a burger/fries/soda, or I forgot about the diet, I can't remember. Either way, I get really depressed in my dream that I've let myself and my trainer down. I then wake up with this great feeling of relief that I'm still on target. This has happened a few times with different foods; Taco Bell, cheeseburgers, soda, pizza. Weird.

#13 volpushon, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  14. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Very visible progress, nice job!

15. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

Thanks for the feedback!

I dropped about a pound this weekend, down to 164.2. I think the weight scale gods rewarded me for passing on some awesome Papa Murphy's Pizza I fixed for the fam yesterday and passing on soda/candy/popcorn at Wreck It Ralph yesterday. Instead I had chicken and avocado for lunch, and liver tablets and fish oil with water AT THE MOVIE. It wasn't easy, but a big step in self control for me.

Today I'm off, so I'm getting some meals planned and fixed for the week and doing chest/arms after lunch:
    Bench Press
    Incline Press
    Cambered Bar Curls
    Skull Crushers

#15 volpushon, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  16. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

It's been 2 weeks without dining out and longer than that since my last soda or beer. That's a record for me, easy.

Macros are exactly where I'm shooting for again. I ordered 2 months worth of protein from Beverly today (ouch).

Today was a Mastover leg workout (double ouch):

5 sets squats
    3 sets lunges
    4 sets deadlifts
    4 sets calf raises

The reps vary but the burn does not. I'm really focusing on getting parallel and exploding up. For me, legs are a killer.

I occasionally get a bad headache when finishing an intense workout. They at least last 30 minutes or more. I think it might be a hydration issue. It happened today so I drank 12oz then it nearly went away.

Also, a friend is "loaning" me an old school trapezoidal dip station for the gym. Woot.

17. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

My pre-breakfast weigh-in was 163.6. And I increased my weight on squats and deadlifts yesterday.

#17 volpushon, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  18. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I'm thankful for my health (among countless other things).

Some points of non-interest from the past week:

Weight fluctuated from 163.6 up to 166.0 (after hibachi), back down to 164 today. I can tell I am making progress. I'm pretty sure I'm under 20% bf at this point.

I increased weight in nearly all my lifts, and some nagging pain in my wrist is gone finally. I haven't missed a single set nor a workout. I actually did the "optional" extra workout on Saturday because I felt like I had plenty of energy.

Today was the insane leg workout (5 sets of varying reps squats, DB lunges, deadlifts, calf raises). Wow.

I had my first restaurant meal in 3 weeks last week. I had steak and shrimp at the local hibachi. I did pretty good except for the soy sauce and rice I forgot to budget for. I paired it with some green tea, but I still felt bloated for a couple days.

Tonight I had my first cheat meal. I had two pieces of pizza from Papa Murphy's. It's a family tradition to have pizza as we decorate for Christmas. I kept it in moderation and didn't have a nice cold frosty one (nearly a month now). It tasted awesome but I'm glad to get back on schedule starting now with a Beverly's Vanilla/Chocolate protein shake.

Oh, I scored some venison from a friend's kill. I soaked it in salt water to clean it up a little, rubbed it with some seasoning, then smoked it for a couple hours. It's not the best meat I've cooked, but it's lean and loaded with protein... and free.

#18 volpushon, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  19. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Hey man, the family tradition thing, I wouldn't sweat it.

Even though I'm getting back into shape, Christmas day I'll be splurging on a 5* hotel buffet, including lobster.

Yes, it's a healthy lifestyle we aim for, but sometimes you HAVE to treat yourself, one day out of a year[let's say more like 10, christmas, birthdays, anniversarys etc] may put you back a few days, but breaking traditions can be heart breaking.

Obviously my TRADITION of sitting in front of a movie with a pack of cookies and some doritos is not a tradition I want to continue, but I hope you understand my point :D

20. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Looks like you stayed on target for November. Hopefully you will be equally as successful for december. The holidays can be tough.