1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

muscle enzymes found in my blood

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by BO11, Oct 27, 2005.

1. BO11

BO11 Well-Known Member

I recently had some blood work done for the usual suspects. Every thing was normal except she said I had high amounts of Muscle Enzymes. Not sure what that meant. I assume that would be caused by working out and that would be a sign of me making progress by tearing down muscles. She ask me if I had been having muscle aches?

Anybody have any thoughts on the significants of high amounts of muscle enzymes and its causes and are there different kinds of muscle enzymes. Can't find to much about it on the internet.

thanks

2. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

Maybe she ment muscle milk? :confused:
    Not sure if that can penetrate your blood stream though..

3. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

I think it can happen from muscle injury, so you may be right about that. Ask her which enzymes they are and if she thinks it's anything you should be concerned about. Does she know you work out?

4. jonnycashman

jonnycashman Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah it's there new product that you take intreveniously.

5. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

I had high liver enzymes in my blood work the past couple times.

The liver enzyme is an indication that there is something wrong with the liver. Howver, it is also an indication of muscle breakdown.

I had to take a break from working out (3-4 days) and get retested. My levels dropped back down (still high), but not as high.

6. Monkey

Monkey Well-Known Member

Enzymes

AST, ALT, SGOT, SGPT, and GGT and Alkaline Phosphatase are abbreviations for proteins called enzymes which help all the chemical activities within cells to take place. Injury to cells release these enzymes into the blood. They are found in muscles, the liver and heart. Damage from alcohol and a number of diseases are reflected in high values.

Alkaline phosphatase is an enzyme found primarily in bones and the liver. Expected values are higher for those who are growing (children and pregnant women) or when damage to bones or liver has occurred or with gallstones. Low values are probably not significant.

GGT is also elevated in liver disease, particularly with obstruction of bile ducts. Unlike the alkaline phosphatase it is not elevated with bone growth or damage.

AST/SGOT , ALT/ SGPT are also liver and muscle enzymes. They may be elevated from liver problems, hepatitis, excess alcohol ingestion, muscle injury and recent heart attack.

LDH is the enzyme present in all the cells in the body. Anything which damages cells, including blood drawing itself, will raise amounts in the blood. If blood is not processed promptly and properly, high levels may occur. If all values except LDH are within expected ranges, it is probably a processing error and does not require further evaluation.

Bilirubin: is a pigment removed from the blood by the liver. Low values are of no concern. If slightly elevated above the expected ranges, but with all other enzymes (LDH, GOT, GPT, GGT) within expected values, it is probably a condition known as Gilbert’s syndrome and is not significant

CPK is an enzyme which is very useful for diagnosing diseases of the heart and skeletal muscle. This enzyme is the first to be elevated after a heart attack (3 to 4 hours). If CPK is high in the absence of heart muscle injury, this is a strong indication of skeletal muscle disease.

http://www.amarillomed.com/howto.htm