1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Muscle Building/Fat Loss Workout

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mastover, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Liszt

Liszt Member

Thought I'd try this workout as I"m doing enough cardio away from weights (squash, HIIT rowing/running) and needed some consolidation due to the demands of my job. Thanks for posting it.

First microcycle complete, and I'm loving the intensity. Have to say, though, coming out of two straight days of upper body was tough. Day 1 already taxed the biceps and back indirectly, and I found it a little hard to get going on Day 2 without a rest day. I usually work out with weights 2-3 times a week, and I"m not used to 3 days straight!

Each year, I do a week of self-improvement vacation where I make sure I'm advancing in some discipline that's of interest to me (sports, reading/learning, music lessons), and next week takes me to Bolletieri's in Florida with some friends, where we'll be making fools of ourselves smashing tennis balls with kids 20-30 years our juniors! Question: is any form of this workout compatible with the tennis? We"ll be working hard on the court 4 hours in the morning. Afternoons and evenings are free, and I was thinking of hitting the gym in the evening.

Anyway, this is my first post. Hello all! These forums are outstanding--I'm super impressed with the knowledge but also the patience and helpfulness of all participating.

Thanks

P.S. Love the term "Machine Mode", John (always wanted to mention that!)

2. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm thinking of trying this routine from Sunday/Monday. I have been following a Starting Strength Program for the last 9 weeks. Tonight i will complete the 24th planned workout.

I am eating almost exactly at maintenance having lost approx five pounds in the last six weeks.

To be honest, my motivation has dipped a little lately and I feel that I need a change of routine. I have equalled or bettered most of the Starting Strength lifts and would like to return to it later, possibly on a mild calorie surplus.

A few questions:

- My current goal is Fat Loss. Will this be a good routine if my diet is very strict, as it will be?

- How do I deal with any missed workouts? Can I just treat that as a rest day and do the next 3 days before taking a break?

- I play tennis on a Saturday (dependent on the weather). Sometimes the session is relatively low intensity doubles play but it can be far more intense when playing singles. Treat as a rest day if not intense?

- How do I choose what weight to use for the working sets?

- What sort of warm-up is recommended for each exercise?

3. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Guess I'm bumping this thread.

Will be on this tomorrow unless anyone has any input in the next 18 or so hours that puts me off.

Will be keeping a record of how it works out and will report back.

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I never did SS, so I have no clue how this workout will compare, but having done this, I can say it was a lot of fun and a new and interesting challenge for someone who has done various routines across many years.

It was a bit brutal at times--a bit of a mental and physical challenge. My muscles weren't overly exhausted at the end, but as the cycles went by, I could feel the general wear. Some of the rest days were just blissful!

I tend to get the same way. After 12-16 weeks of a routine, I start planning my next one. This one was good, and hopefully should respark your motivation.

I'm not Mastover, but I'll answer as best I can. Add your own salt.

Yes. I didn't do measurements :-)spank:), and I was on a low-carb diet (which Mastover is against). I did not lose much weight, but the mirror showed some changes. I wish I had more than my weight to compare, though, so this is anecdotal. If you keep strict, though, I think you'll find this is a great program for that.

Is this likely to happen? My guess would be Masterover would say something like "if you don't think you can do the routine as prescribed, do one you can."

If you are asking just as an a worst-case scenario that should not pop up, then I would say go back to the routine and keep the next rest day where it is.

I.e., You do Day 1 and Day 2, you can't workout the next day, do Day 3 and then have your rest day after. This might add an extra rest per cycle, but it keeps your cycles in the right order. I feel like there is a reason Leg Day is Day 3 and right before the rest day.

If you did it the other way, you end up with the days out of order. It might not matter, but that is how I would approach it.

When I asked about adding running in to the routine, Mastover said "Maybe you don't do this routine." Just putting that out there.

If you have good recovery and can handle the extra work, I would just play tennis and not consider how it lands during the cycle. Just eat a bit more than day to compensate and get to bed early that night!

I went with a best guess to complete the number of reps required for the first time and then adjusted up from there.

I usually just do a few rounds of lighter weights, adding some extra weight to get close to the work rep.

So if I was going to do 200 lbs, I'd do a bunch of reps at 45, a few less reps at 135, a few less at 165, maybe 185, and then do the 200.

Jaer
    hopes that helps. He's not nearly as expert as Masterover.

5. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Jaer, I started this program with some minor modification. Thanks for your input. See Link to my Journal:

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=53242

Re missing workouts:

Liked the sound of the routine, want to try it, so if I miss any workouts i'll just have to work around them, mixing up the rest days if needs be. With friends who work different shift pattern/hours/locations, sometimes the oportunity to engage with people socially cannot be strictly planned. It would affect any routine whether M/W/F of 3 days on/one off etc. I'll adapt to whatever comes along. I'll work around tennis too.

Starting weights:

Thought a good bet was to take my 3x5 max from Starting Strength and use just around half that weight for those exercises that I have carried over. That worked out well. For those exercises that I have not really performed before I simply made a guess as to what I can handle. Worked out quite well.

Warm-up:

1 set x 10 reps at half the working weight for the first exercise only. After the first exercise I felt warmed-up enough anyway.

Intend to record progress in my Journal so that should be a good record of how this works for me.

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I only do a warm up for the first exercise, too.

I know missing a workout happens--plenty of reasons for it and there is nothing wrong with that--just a matter of how often/regular it was going to be. If it is the occassional thing, no biggie. If you were going to be missing every Tues and Thurs, then the 3 on, 1 off plan isn't a good fit.

Jaer
    wishes you luck! It was a fun challenge.