1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Muscle Building/Fat Loss Workout

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mastover, Dec 28, 2012.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Many people on JSF know that I'm not an advocate of cardio as a mechanism for fat loss. Discipline with the diet is going to be the greatest catalyst if you wish to burn fat. When I was in California back in the '80's on my way back from Hawaii, I made a pit stop into Vince Gironda's gym. I trained there for several weeks while holding down a part time job to support myself. One day he noticed me, probably because I was so young and quiet, and he gave me some great tips and suggestions (partly because I was so focused) I was a trainer at around 150 pounds, but I was handling weights that a guy twice my size would use. Every time I went in to train, he would venture over and give me nuggets of advice with, not only exercises and there execution, but nutritionally as well, including how to use Amino Acids as a nitrogen loading device and how to implement dessicated liver. I still have my spiral bound journal with his words of wisdom. And to this day, he still reigns supreme as a trainer. No trainer or "guru" today (this includes trainers of IFBB pro's, who are nothing more than drug advisors) has delivered anything new to the game. You see all these self professed guys who have a perfect training system, but they all got the basics from Vince and rehashed it into their own genius discovery. One thing Vince taught me was that you do not need cardio for fat loss. In fact, he felt is was catabolic to the vast populations who trained. I feel that HIIT is viable. However.... only towards certain populations, especially endomorphs. And, I have my own HIIT routine which I feel can maximize fat loss without sacrificing muscle loss and a down regulation in metabolism. But I am sure Vince had a recipe for success with endo's. Unfortunately, he is no longer around.

Tomorrow, or in the next few days, I will take you through a periodized training routine that requires hard work, dedication, attention to diet, and no cardio. This is "old school" training that can radically transform your physique and cardiac health. Getting lean and muscular should be a goal for every woman and man alike. This routine is something that I am going to be re-visiting myself. It's been about 15 years since I've done a training system like this one, but boy did it give dramatic results. And now that I am getting a bit older, cardiac health should be a priority. :tu:

OK here we go. It's three days on, one day off for three weeks, or six microcycles.
    DAY 1 Chest, Delts, Tri's
    DAY 2 Back, Bi's
    Day 3 Legs
    Day 4 Rest
    Day 5 you resume with Day 1
    Continue in this fashion for 6 rounds (microcycles)
    Try and use the same exercises each time you train. 3 movements for the larger body parts, 2 movements for the smaller body parts.
    Do 5 sets of 10 reps resting 60 seconds between sets. Weights should be moderate and sets should not go to failure, however, once you can get all the reps with all sets, increase load by the smallest possible increment for next session and try again for 5 sets of 10.
    For smaller body parts, rest 30 seconds between sets.

Here is an entry from my journal from 1998 on what I did:
    Day 1:
    Flat DB Press: 5x10
    Machine Press: 5x10,10,10,9,7
    Dips: 5x10
    DB Laterals: 5x10
    DB Bent Raise: 5x10
    DB Skullcrushers: 5x10,10,8,7,7
    Pushdowns: 5x10
    TOTAL TIME: 42 minutes

As you can see, for some sets I was not able to get all the reps, so I remained with that same weight for next time and tried again.

Here is the next 3 week block. Macrocycle 2:
    DAY 2 Back, Bi's
    DAY 3 Legs
    DAY 4 Rest
    DAY 5 resume DAY 1
    Continue in this fashion for 6 rounds (doing D1, D2, D3 6x)
    We are doing six sets of six reps.
    45 seconds rest between sets.
    2 exercises per body part.
    Once you can do all six sets of six reps, increase weights by the smallest possible increment for next time, and try again for the prescribed reps.
    Use the same exercises you used during the first macrocycle.
    Use heavier weight. Remember, you are doing fewer reps. The built in challenge and intensity factor will be the reduced rest times between sets.

Here's an entry from my journals back in 1998:
    BB Rows: 6x6
    Weighted Close Grip Chins: 6x6
    EZ bar Drag Curls: 6x6
    Incline DB Curls: 6x6,6,5,5,4

I could not complete all 6 sets of 6 reps on incline curls, but I used the same weight for next time and was able to complete 6 sets of 6.

Here's the final 3 week block.
    DAY 2 Back, Bi's
    DAY 3 Legs
    DAY 4 Rest
    DAY 5 resume DAY 1

12 sets of 4 reps
    One exercise per bodypart
    30 seconds rest between sets
    15 seconds rest on smaller bodyparts like bi's, tri's, delts, calves, forearms (if training forearms.

Here's an entry from my journal from 1998:
    Squats: 12 sets of 4 (225 lbs.) 30 sec. rest between sets
    Stiff Leg Deads: 12 sets of 4 (185 lbs.) 30 sec. rest between sets
    Seated Calf Raise: 12 sets of 4 (4 plates) 15 sec. rest between sets

On week #10 I would advise a complete week off from training. Light cardio perhaps, but nothing strenuous. The was a great system for me in that I began at around 167 lbs. at about 7.5% BF and ate at above my usual maintenance with cheat meals almost daily. I ended up at 172 lbs. and although I did not register my ending BF, I looked a lot more cut and vascular and had a full blown six pack with a leaner waistline.

#1 mastover, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. mastover

If there are any questions or concerns with this 9 week routine, please contact me. Beginning this February, I plan on embracing it once more. It'll be interesting to compare the results from when I was 38 years old, to where I am now at 54.

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I do have some questions. I'm transitioning into a new routine after the holidays, and while I had an idea about what I might do, this isn't far off and...well, professionally made and tested.

My main question is this: Is there a specific benefit to the 4 day routine? I tend to make my schedules based on a 7 day routine, which naturally fits in to the week better and keeps Mondays my Deadlift days for instance. I often find that kind of regularity easier to keep up with.

Not to say I'm not willing to follow this routine as written, I'm just curious as to timing and why you might think it works best.

My couple of supplemental questions are these:
    (1) You said that this plan requires no cardio, but I actually like cardio. I enjoy going on runs, and am planning an obstacle race sometime in spring. Do you feel adding a couple runs in per week will be a detriment to progress (with the main goal being body fat reduction)?

My guess on this one is you're going to say, yes, running will be a detriment, and then you might add, but probably not a huge one, but it is better to train for one thing with intensity and focus, and running and weight training are very different things.

(2) You say "attention to diet" and then say you were having cheat meals almost daily when you did this workout. I know from previous experience I need to be WAY under the calculated maintenance for me to lose any weight, so I'm curious what your diet plan was looking like during this.

(3) Microcycle 1 prescribes 3 exercises for big muscles and 2 for small.
    I take this to mean
    Day 1: Chest x3, Delts x2, Tri x2
    Day 2: Back x3, Bix2
    Day 3: ???

Should legs be divided into quads and hamstrings? quads, hams, glutes, and calves? Or just 3 leg movements?

(4) I'm restricted to a home gym which comprises a smattering of Dumbbells, some heavy duty bands, and up to 555lbs of barbell weight. This offers me a lot of variety for exercises, don't get me wrong, but I often find leg exercises to be redundant--squats and lunges are most obvious choices and seem very similar to me. I'm missing the Leg Extensions and Leg Curls of gym years (though maybe with the new bands I can rig something up...:confused:).

Needing three big leg movements (perhaps more, depending on previous answer), what can I use for that? Would squats, lunges, and deadlifts be viable? Or am I setting myself up for massive injury and over-use?

Thanks for the routine, though. Very different from anything I've tried. Should be a fun switch up.

Jaer
    is probably overthinking things with most of those questions.

4. mastover

Jaer, thanks for the questions. I'd like to expand more, but as you can imagine I'm pretty busy with the current sale I've got going...

The benefits of doing this particular 4 day on, one day off routine are multi-fold... more lifting WITHOUT going to failure, which can increase/enhance capillary intrusion and expansion resulting in increased protein synthesis via the shuttling of nutrients over multiple pathways. This process will amplify the anabolic AND anaerobic (fat loss benefits) of this 9 week program.

If you want to do any conventional cardio or running, I'd ditch this program entirely. The cardio aspect is already built in.

The diet will be individual specific. Generally, I have a set macronutrient level (as the baseline) for endo's, which I believe you are. I like to start off at the high end range of these macro's and work down from this baseline, instead of starting out too low in calories which can be damaging in more ways than one, especially with fat loss and muscle retention. Personally, I was taking in around 3100 calories a day and a cheat meal in place of (not in-addition-to) one of my regular meals. This was a carb heavy meal, but remember, I am more ecto/meso. You would also need to figure out your macro intake.

On Day 3 Leg Day for Macrocycle 1, you can do your squats, lunges, and stiff leg deadlifts for your three compounds and forego the leg extensions and curls entirely for all 3 macrocycles. Calves you can do as you wish.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I was looking at that, too. But currently, not in the cards. Maybe soon (though I'll miss the sale).

Thanks for the answers. I appreciate it!

OK, makes sense. Thanks!

Good to know. Adding more would be too much.

Very endo, yes. Fortunately not too carb sensitive in that neither high nor low carb intakes tend to change progress or feeling/recovered. It's more in the total amount vs. specific macros--though, I'm sure there is a optimal ratio somewhere.

Thanks much! I appreciate the info and the clarifications.

Jaer
    has always valued your advice.

6. Green17

Green17 Active Member

Mastover -

If I were interested in taking on this routine but there is definitely one day a week (typically Thursday) that I can't work out due to work schedule, am I risking over training by technically having 6 days in a row, 1 day of rest, then 6 days in a row again? (And repeat).?

So I would be training M-T-W, Thurs-OFF, F-SAT-SUN-M-T-W,Thurs-OFF, etc.....

7. mastover

Green, thanks for the question and welcome to JSF! :)
    I really can't say for sure, as recovery parameters differ from person to person. However, I would not take on this program for 6 days in a row and follow the scheme as written for the 9 weeks. If you still contemplate on going six days on, one day off... I would take at least 2-3 days OFF completely from lifting after your sixth consecutive day.
    Again, people have different rates of recovery, but make sure your nutrition and sleep is maximal for muscle growth and to prevent over training.

8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I did Micro 1 Day 1 and Day 2--and then my cold overtook me and I took a couple days off--but I have to tell you, I was sore during those days off. SORE!

I'm not usually a big DOMS person. If I go a while without lifting heavy, I'll have a couple days of DOMS after the first day or two of a new routine. Usually it is in the legs from heavy squats.

I had just been through a pretty heavy lifting cycle through December, and my weights for this first cycle were fairly moderate. And yet SORE! Really sore. In places I don't tend to even get sore ever from any lifting.

OUCH!

Jaer
    just did Day 1 again. He's counting today as the start of the program. Will report back with more info as it goes on.

9. mastover

10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Barring any other illness (which is rare for me--I'm usually pretty sick-free), there is no IF. :tu:

TEASE! (Though, in truth, this is simply good marketing)

This is your life, dude! Don't even bring that type of negativity (even if joking) in here. You live this like most people can't even imagine; that should be a point of pride.

Jaer
    appreciates the research lists. Now to google all those words he doesn't understand.....

11. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

I think I am going to switch from Stronglifts to this. I am on my second week of Stronglifts and am enjoying it, but I think I like the cardio aspect to this workout more. I do not have much fat to lose, but I would still like to gain more strength.

I am currently 6'0"- 170 lbs with 16% BMI. My food intake is about 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fats. I understand I will need to eat more protein and get more sleep (I average about 5 hours a night) for this to really work.

I have an upcoming surgery scheduled for March 15th. Were I to start on Monday, I would have roughly 8 weeks, instead of the 9 you prescribe.

I am currently charting out the exercises in a spreadsheet so I can track my improvements. I plan on starting a journal and will link it here as well.

UPDATE: Well, I started the routine yesterday and I liked it a lot. I am really a weaking and it was really hard, but I loved it!

#11 matalo, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  12. mastover

If anyone wants to incorporate the basic tenets of this type of training to a total body, 3x per week workout, it absolutely can be done. The key here will be using different rep ranges for each workout in the week. Start out with sub optimal poundages the first two weeks, then ramp up the intensity with weights used for the next 4-5 weeks. Here is what I did, according to my training journal via 1996. In 6 weeks I went from 157 pounds to 167 pounds, and even though I did not know my beginning and ending body fat numbers, my waist remained virtually the same and my biceps blew up by 3/4 of an inch. A good indication that most of my gains were lean mass and not much (if at all) of increased adiposity.

Monday:
    Flat DB Bench Press: 4x8
    Leg Press: 4x8
    Weighted Chins: 4x8
    DB Seated Laterals: 4x8
    BB Curls: 4x8
    Cable Pushdowns: 4x8

Wednesday:
    Front Squats: 5x5
    Weighted Dips: 5x5
    BB Rows: 5x5
    Bent Laterals: 5x5
    DB Hammer Curls: 5x5

Friday:
    Deep Trap Bar Deadlifts: 2x12
    Machine Chest Press: 2x12
    DB Lateral Raise: 2x12
    DB Rows: 2x12
    Standing Calf Raise: 2x12
    Incline DB Curls: 2x12
    DB Skullcrushers: 2x12
    DB Stiff Leg Dead lifts: 2x12

Warmups are not included. I made sure NOT to go to failure, always stopping 1-2 reps shy, and made sure my nutrition and rest was excellent without deviations. After six weeks, I transcended to a more conventional 4 day split and continued to progress.

I've kept training and diet journals for over 25 years, and sometimes it's fun and interesting to revisit what I used to do that helped me become a natural pro bodybuilder. Good stuff. :cool:

13. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I got sick again. :(

As my head cold ended, I started working out, and then got a non-strep virus. Yay. Finally healthy from that and trying this again. Did workout 1 this morning. Let's see if I can make it through more than 1 mircocycle at once!

Jaer
    is done being sick. Done!

14. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

I got sick as well. Just got over it.

With such a short time now before my surgery, I believe I will have to back off this routine. Instead, I am going to go to a three day split. I was going to go back to the Stronglifts, but will instead be trying this new addition mastover just posted.

Thanks again, mastover, for the great information!

15. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

Mastover,
    My gym does not have a deep trap bar.
    What can I substitute for this?
    Deep Trap Bar Deadlifts: 2x12

How about straight leg deadlift?

16. mastover

My pleasure.... Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted with the program I've outlined. :tucool:

17. mastover

Sorry.... just saw this question. Do snatch grip deadlifts standing on a 100# plate (if your gym has them) Or a thick bumper plate.
    If not, stand on a 45# plate and keep your feet about 2-3 inches apart with toes in a 45 degree angle.

18. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will be doing these today.

19. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

This being my first workout of the week, I have to say this Friday routine was really hard. Good, but hard.

I wanted your advice, though. I used rest times of 60 seconds in between sets and between different lifts. Is this OK?

I also really only warmed up prior to the first exercise and not on the others. I am always conflicted on warming up. What is the typical warmup recommendations for a routine like this?

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Just finished round 4 of micro-cycle 3. One more left. I'm not sure if it is the change in diet or just me getting to the end of the routine, but I've been feeling pretty worn during my workouts of late.

The change: I came off a super low carb diet last Friday (which I know Mastover would NEVER recommend, but my wife wanted to try it and I try to be supportive). Birthday weekend (for both my wife and I), so I've had a lot of sugar junk and some drinks and all kinds of starchy carbs.

I felt so much more energetic last week when carbs were low! I feel like my recovery was better, too. During the leg routine today, I had a lot of trouble keeping my 30 second rests--usually that only happened toward the end (last 2 or 3 sets) of the deadlifts, but it was the whole workout today.

Could also be due to less sleep; have had stuff keeping me up too late the last couple nights, so cannot rule that out!

Anyway, this was a great routine--a wonderful challenge and fun change. I like the 3 days on, 1 day off thing.

Jaer
    will be glad when it is over, though. He plans on going on to something with heavier lifts.