1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Muscle Beach

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by leftyx, Dec 3, 2014.

1. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Jan 2, 2015

Workout today was a preliminary run through of what I hope will be my new workout plan. I'm still running through the exercises, and how to perform them. The plan is very specific on going from the correct way to do a rep, a set, an exercise (order), and daily and weekly workout.

Eating is still going strong. New Years Eve was a healthful treat of grilled salmon and shrimp with broccoli, ( and I skipped the rice.) I'm trying to cut down on carbs.
    Yesterday I ate a bit too many carbs but still almost half as much carbs as protein.
    Today will be a good day. Lots of protein and almost perfect carbs and fats. Something like 200 P/ 100 C/ 60 F.

I'm still working on the details. The plan will probably be a 4 or 6 day split. The split will work a body part only twice a week. About 4 to 6 exercises a day. Using 1, 2., 3 or 4 sets per exercise, depending on the exercise. there are some technical details determining what order the exercises are done. I am studying the rules determining what is done when. Also the concept of moving from details of the rep, set, exercise, daily workout, rest days, and advancement are all involved. As I said before the basis is from the book, "Secrets of Advanced Bodybuilders."

Numb3rz tomorrow.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Sounds like an interesting routine.

3. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Jan 4, 2015

Numb3rz

Weight 151.2
    Waist 37
    Hips 36.5
    Bodyfat % 20.3
    Bicep 13
    Thigh 20.5

Weight is up a couple of lbs., but all other measures haven't changed. So it could be muscle. That's what I'm saying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Do you measure chest / back, and shoulders? The body fat% is from a Tanita type scale?

http://www.fitness.com/tools/greek_proportions/

I just came across this site (link above), you measure your wrist, and it tells you your ideal measurements. My wrist 7.25 equates to a 47 inch chest, 33 inch waist, and 17 inch biceps and 16 inch calfs. I don't think I can reach any, apart from the 33 inch waist, and possibly the 16 inch calfs.

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Jan 8, 2015

Interesting measure.

Find your Greek Proportions
    Wrist Size: 7 Inches
    CALCULATE

Your ideal body measurements are
    Chest Size: 45.5
    Forearm Size: 13.2
    Waist Size: 31.9
    Thigh Size: 24.1
    Hip Size: 38.7
    Calf Size: 15.5
    Biceps Size: 16.4
    Neck Size: 16.8

Went to teh gym Mon and Wed. I'm still planning my routine. I spent a lot of time trying out some of the tenets of my new plan. Starting with doing several exercises with perfect form. Tomorrow I'll do some more training to lift in the right order of exercises by muscles worked.

6. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Jan 19, 2015

At the gym today I tried out some new exercises. I did some Decline HFL Rows, matched with Close Grip Pull Ups. Or I should say pull up since I couldn't do more than one of those at a time. And some wide grip pull downs matched with single handed pulley rows. The point is to do exercises which include a prime mover muscle and a synergist and using them in the proper order.
    I know it seems complicated but the book uses diagrams and charts to explain how this all works. I still get confused sometimes but I'm working through the concepts and examples and learning more every day.
    Another thing about this is that this book is from the 1980s and could have outdated and disproved methods. But I tried to look up some of the tenets on the Net and couldn't find anything that discredited the methods.

Numb3rz tomorrow.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What are Decline HFL Rows?

8. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I'm not sure what that means, and I don't have access to my book now, but they're basically decline rows. They hit the lower Pecs major.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

9. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Jan 15, 2013

Yesterday I went to the gym and did a lower body workout. I'm still setting up a program that works on a micro as well as macro system. Reps have to to perfect. Sets have to be done in sequence and with short rests. The Fatigue/Tension level must be kept above the line. And workouts have to be spaced to allow for rest days. It's a lot to deal with but there doesn't seem any reason I can't do it.

Tomorrow I have a workout planned to do back and chest workouts. I only have to do about 12 sets. But with intensity and quick turnarounds the workout leaves me beat.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Quick turnarounds add a completely different dimension to any routine. They can really be a killer.

11. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Yes it can wipe me out, but as I'm a relatively advanced weight lifter I do fewer sets than someone doing a full body routine 3 times a week.

12. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Jan 16, 2015

Workout today was progress. I got through the back and chest workout doing all exercises and all reps relatively quickly. I've given up acclimation and down sets. Now all my sets are working sets. I need to add a slight warm-up before I hit the weights. I'll work on that.

Eating is good. I'm going medium low on the carbs. I was eating over 150 gms a day and now I'm eating about 100 gms a day with 2 meals of over-carbing a week.

Numb3rz tomorrow.

13. macdiver

Even with a separate warmup, you may want to keep some warmup sets for lifting. I have found that doing 5 reps at 50%, 3 reps at 80% and 1 rep at 90% works well. My only rest is how long it takes to add weight. Then I put on the 100% rest one minute and start. I only do this for the first exercise for a major muscle group not all exercises, i.e for bench press for chest and arms, for rows for backs and that is it.

14. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Jan 17, 2015

Numb3rz

weight 150.8
    waist 37
    hips 36.5
    bodyfat% 20.3
    bicep 13
    thigh 20.75

Same. I expected a little push from the low carb diet. There wasn't one yet, but I'm going to keep trying. I know the definition on insanity, but at the same time I need to give my body time to respond to the low carb and traiining regimen.
    One other tihng is I've been playing tennis 2 to 3 times a week and I think it's helping me keep from gaining weight with all the prot3in I've been eating.

Mac, what is the benefit of the warm-up? Yeah, I understand the process of, only for "major muscle group," but I'm can't figure out how to add it into my routine. I'll think about trying to work some warm-ups in. Thanks.

I'm not happy with all the, what's the word?, rationalization. But as much as we believe in science this is not a perfect experiment. I'm good with how things are going. I only wish my belly would go away. I wan't ABS!!! :)

15. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Jan 22, 2015

Workout today was quick and educational. I was trying to do each exercise using proper form. That is very gratifying.

Eating has been about 90%. I tend to get down on myself when I don't eat right because my numbers don't change on the measuring day.

I've dropped carbs to about 100 GMs a day. That's 400 calories a day. I have to eat enough protein to get about 800 GMs a day.

16. sudy

sudy Active Member

Hope you don't mind my interfering but 800gm of protein sounds like an awful lot - can the body handle that much? I'd have thought it would have negative effects on the liver.. though I've really no idea tbh. I'm sure you know what you're doing anyway. Maybe eating some healthy fats would make the protein more useable though.. and easier to manage to eat.

17. macdiver

800 grams of protein can not be right. That is 3200 calories just for the protein. Add in the 400 calories from the carbs and whatever your fat allowance is and you are eating 4000 calories or more a day.

:confused:

Did you mean 800 calories from protein (200 grams)?

To answer you question on the warmup. I do some calisthenics first to warm up the whole body. Then I do the warmup lifts. I find I can use a higher working weight for my work sets when I do this. I didn't always do warmup sets first. I used to find that my third set was easier than the first. Now the last set us the hardest.

18. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

I think 800g protein a day will turn you to stone in under a month.

I am a big proponent of doing warm up sets before each exercise. No matter what I'm doing, I always start with an empty bar/light dumbbell and work my way up through 1 - 3 warm up sets before getting into my working sets.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that your warm up sets should be just that: warming up. You never want to go to failure on them (even if it's via a ton of reps at a light weight) and it's just a way to get the muscles loose and flexible.

19. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Having trouble posting, but, yes 800 gms is an error. Should be 800 calories.

20. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work. Macro numbers look good. Just remember to adjust when necessary!

- Dave