1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

mudphud journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by mudphud, Jun 12, 2007.

1. mudphud

mudphud Active Member

I've been lurking around and making a few posts lately but I've decided that it is time to buckle down and get serious.

For a while I've been bulking more or less but I haven't been very focused. In fact, my gym routines have gotten almost lazy. I go but I haven't been really pushing myself hard enough - that's going to change.

My diet hasn't been bad since I was bulking up but now I think it is time to cut some. My weakness is that when I really like something I stuff myself but I feel since I have identified that weakness I can work on it. So, no more Indian buffets for me.

Current stats:
    Height: 6' 0''
    Weight: 190lbs.
    BF%: Not sure on this one ~16 or 17% I think - I'll be posting pictures in a day or two so people can give opinions.

Goal: Right now I'm thinking my goal is to get down to around 8-10% BF.

Plan: Eat less and make my time in the gym count more.

I'll try to post what I do and eat this week and I definately welcome any feedback.

2. mudphud

mudphud Active Member

Monday 6-11-07:

Food:

7:30 - ~1 cup kashi with 2/3 cup 1% milk and a vege-sausage

10:30 - protein shake + banana

1:00 - another protein shake + banana

4:30 - postworkout shake

8:00 - salmon steak with topping (after I ate it I found out the topping was mostly mayo probably should have taken most of it off) + peas (1/2 cup) + tomatoe/mozarrella with olive oil

Workout:

Deadlifts
    Biceps Curls
    Cable Rows
    Lat Pulldowns

Probably should have put in a little more time but I did 5 or 6 deadlift sets and got my heartrate up.

3. mudphud

mudphud Active Member

Tuesday - 6/12/07

Food:

5:00 - Kashi with 1% milk + banana

7:30 - postwork out protein shake

(the rest is planned right now)

10:00 - banana + protein shake

1:00 - can of tuna + 1 tablespoon mayo

4:00 - maybe another shake or if I get home some turkey breast

8:00 - supper not sure what yet (I don't usually make supper)

Workout:

HITT (15 minutes of HITT + 5 minutes warmup/cooldown on eliptical)
    Walked 1 mile just to cool down some more after HITT

Crunches
    I did a little bicep/tricep workout because a friend I hadn't seen for a while showed up and I wanted to work out with him - today wasn't really going to be a weight training day.

Am I overdoing the shakes? They are just such a convient way for me to get in protein. I need to calculate my calories and what my BMR is to see if I'm really cutting enough or if I should be reducing further. Again feedback is appreciated.

4. mudphud

mudphud Active Member

Okay my daily calorie needs is 3080 calories from what I calculated.

Monday's calories would be:

7:30 - 200 + 75 + 70 = 345

10:30: 240 + 120 = 360

1:00 : 240 + 120 = 360

4:00 : 240

8:00 : this is a hard to estimate because I wasn't weighing my food - i saw the recipe for the salmon and it said 750 calories per serving so I'll guess I had one serving. I think about 1/2 cup peas so 65 calories. But the Mozzerella, tomatoe, olive oil could have been quite a bit I didn't take too much but maybe 500 calories? So 750 + 65 + 500 = 1315

345 + 360 + 360 + 240 + 1315 = 2620

3080 - 2620 = -460 calories

That seems about right assuming that my calculations aren't too far off.

I don't think I should have too much trouble cutting as I don't gain weight too easily (although I used to be skinny fat).

5. zaak4you

zaak4you Active Member

No expert here, but you seem to be doing a lot of shakes. What about cottage cheese, tuna, peanutbutter, etc?

6. mudphud

mudphud Active Member

Yea I agree. I don't know if there is anything wrong with that many but it doesn't seem all that balanced. Guess I need to buckle down and start packing a sandwich or something.

7. mudphud

mudphud Active Member

Just thought I'd post an update.

I've improved my diet - it now looks something like this:

Breakfast:

Kashi or oatmeal
    milk

Post-workout:
    Shake
    Fruit - apple or banana

Lunch:
    Chicken, tuna, or salmon
    V8 or steam veggie from cafeteria

Meal:
    Cottage cheese
    fruit/veggie/or V8 (low Na)

Meal:
    Protein shake
    almonds

Supper:
    Varies - usually fairly healthy yesterday had meatloaf a couple small red potatoes and a salad with green beans.

Workout:

I had been doing a 3day split. However, I had gotten kind of lazy at the weights - too much time between sets and I was going too heavy for everyday (80-90% 1RM). I improved that by timing my breaks to 60s between sets and I feel much better about the workouts. Next week I going to start whole body workout for the next few weeks until I go on vacation (Switzerland!!).

I have lost about 6 lbs so far. I need to get some calipers or post some pics because I have been using a BI scale but I know those aren't that accurate. I don't feel like I see too much difference yet, but I know these things take time. I took some pictures at the beginning but they aren't that good. Not used to taking self pics.

8. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

Hey are you planning to be a mudphud? Or already studying to be one?

-Josh

9. mudphud

mudphud Active Member

I'm working on it. I have another year for phd (I hope - knock on wood) and then 2 more years for the md.

10. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

Hi Josh,

First of all congrats on your decision to get serious! :)

I have to agree with previous poster: you need real food.
    Also your diet could use a good tweak. Why don't you post your diet on the cutting forum so people can critique it.

I made some suggestions myself in bold and italic:

Good luck with everything! :gl:

11. mudphud

mudphud Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. I sometimes add eggs to my breakfast when i have a chance. I'll try to put in yogurt in if I don't have time for eggs.

Should have been have said protein shake after workout (whey and casine mix). I'll try to work on those healthy fats. Though I usually eat tuna or salmon several times a week for lunch or dinner.

12. mudphud

mudphud Active Member

Here are some pics from 3 weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a few I took yesterday and just now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not huge progress but I feel there is some. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say. I just wish I hadn't lost focus a while back. A year ago was better but I slowly started to slack off and now it's time to get back.

PS Anyone want to hazard a BF% estimate?

#12 mudphud, Jun 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  13. kevsterman

kevsterman Active Member

Not huge progress?? I'd say you've made incredible progress if its only 3 weeks between your first pic and the last one. You look a lot leaner and you have much more muscle definition. And just look at that bicep!

I say well done and keep it up. Can't wait to see how you look in another 3 weeks!

14. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

Pretty cool! I am starting my 2nd year of med in a couple of weeks; am strongly considering applying for the md/phd program but want to get some research done first to see if I really love it. What is your phd field? I am considering neuroscience right now.

Good luck with your goals!

Josh (that's me, medicalstudent, not mudphud :lol:)

15. mudphud

mudphud Active Member

2nd year med student at 18 huh? That's pretty young (making me feel all old). My field is biochemistry. Research is a funny thing. Sometimes it is great and sometimes it drives me crazy. Overall I like it but at times it can be frustrating. Anyway best of luck.