1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Moved to the UK from the US. Help me understand Nutrition Info here.

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Unfit, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Unfit

Unfit Active Member

So in the US I could easily estimate the calories of things because they'd give me on the label "this is X calories per cup" or something like that. They'd give the amount of servings in each container and how much each serving was calories (and more) wise.

Now I'm in the UK. I gave myself a month of free time but am going back on my calorie counting. I am thus far confused.

First off I swear a lot of things don't say how many servings are in something. Then the servings are in grams and weight instead of volume? How the heck am I supposed to measure that? Buy a little weight thing? And on the go too I could just use my spacial reasoning but I have no skills at measuring weight :P.

I can't, say pour some cereal into a measuring cup to 2 cups and find the calories? I have to weight it? Wat?

Am I just really wrong? Maybe I am, Idunno. They seem to measure mass instead of volume. Is it just me or does that make things a lot harder for calorie counting? I used to just have my trusty measuring cup for this stuff. And am I blind or are things not required to say how MANY servings are in something? Or maybe I'm just missing a weight somewhere, Idunno.

2. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Different country has different rules about food labeling. Got that! The rest of your post are poor excuses.

You can buy a scale, use measuring cups and look up food values. http://www.calorieking.com/

There is no shortage of sites like Calorie King that will tell you how many calories are in something.

P.S. If you buy a bag of chips ( or whatever potato chips are called in the UK) and the bag can fit over your head, clearly there is more than one serving in the said bag.

3. Unfit

Unfit Active Member

I can't carry around a weight thing everywhere with me. I'm out a lot.

I use stuff like MyFitnessPal and I've noticed it doesn't always go with the exact amount of servings something has in it (strange). And if the bag or whatever doesn't have servings listed on it specifically that makes the estimation all that more difficult.

I have adapted to it with most of the food I eat but still continually run into things I have to flat out weigh or something (again, that is difficult when I'm out an about).

And I don't know if it's just me but it's a lot easier to estimate volume than weight for when I don't have a measuring cup or weighing tool available. :P

4. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

There is a simple solution to the problem of when you are out. Use your hands.

A serving size of protein is roughly the length and depth of your palm. Do not include your fingers in this measurement. Excess protein is a waste and will turn into fat.

To portion out things such as rice, potatoes, ect... use your first. Fruit can be measured the same way except for things like bananas, obviously. For fruits like grapefruit that tend to be larger than they really need to be, cut it in half. A half is a serving size.

Veggies are a free food as far as I'm concerned. They do have calories, but veggies such as cucumbers are mostly made up of water.

If you are hanging out in pubs where lots of junk food is served, you're going to have to apply better judgement and or eat before you leave. Eating before you leave the house leaves less temptation to binge on junk.

No calorie counting website ( there are many) are exact. If you are that concerned, then that is all the more reason to stick to a clean diet. Most of those sites do not take fiber into account along with many other micro-nutrients that one may journal.

Let go of the volume vs weight issue. The longer you are in the UK, you will figure it out. This is only a deal breaker if you allow it to be one.

5. arold10

arold10 Member

Well, one thing that I learn once you are living in a new country you should do your best to get used to the new system. Since calorie count is not done the same way as it is in US. I would start working on getting familiar with the new method currently used in the UK. I'd suggest you to use the internet, Google can provide you some very helpful calorie data regarding foods. Just type "Calories in [type any food]".