1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Motivational uppers workout

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by zenpharaohs, Dec 18, 2007.

1. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's tough for me to burn a lot of Calories doing uppers (as opposed to legs), but today I felt pretty strong and went for it. Here's the tally:

I just checked the heart rate records - according to the Suunto "training effect" measure, this was the biggest workout I've done in the past couple of months.

#1 zenpharaohs, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  2. hemburger

hemburger Well-Known Member

Wow. They are impressive numbers. How do you plan your workouts?

3. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Usually I don't know what I'm going to do. I just do what the trainers come up with. I've been working with them for a while, and they have a good grasp of my goals and weaknesses. I like not knowing what's up until we have to do it, although there are patterns that I can frequently guess once we get going. One thing we like is if we want to do an exercise next but someone else is using what we would need? Well we do another variation. We keep the workout going rather than stick to a specific sequence or schedule of exercises. It's usually not that hard to figure out something available NOW which will fit in.

Today, I just improvised. Yet another trainer, who sometimes works in with me, saw me in the locker room and knew that I had missed my chance to work with today's trainer. So he suggested pullups supersetted with dumbell bench, and some of the iso-lateral stuff.

The gym was too crowded to get away with that superset, so I substituted dips for the dumbell bench, and did the dumbell incline bench later.

You can see a theme of alternating rowing and pressing. This helps keep the workout from becoming unbalanced, and also gives some time to recover between successive presses and rows.