1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

MOTIVATION

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Pranajoy, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Pranajoy

Pranajoy Active Member

I was thinking it may be a grand idea to have a permanent section on Motivation: tips, quotes, ideas people can post/share to help those that are struggling to stick to their regiment, inspiration - whether it be diet, nutrition, fear of failure/success, conquering anxiety in the gym, poor body image, perseverance. I believe this additional section would be very helpful for the new-comer & for those struggling/trying to maintain their fitness goals.

“What we can or cannot do, what we consider possible or impossible, is rarely a function of our true capability. It is more likely a function of our beliefs about who we are.” – Tony Robbins

Since it's such a great idea I think should automatically be given VIP status. Maybe you can send me a couple t-shirts too!!! :claphigh:

“Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right things.” – Peter Drucker

“Fall seven times, Stand up eight.” – Japanese Proverb

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

This is an idea that has been considered in the past, and people do post about the subjects you mentioned in the forum appropriate to their goals. The volume of those posts, however, is not nearly high enough for an entire dedicated forum.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. :)

3. Pranajoy

Pranajoy Active Member

I suspect the volume of "motivational" posts far out-pass all the posts combined and I am certain you would see that data in your own records around the 3rd week of each January - which is when most people start falling back into old, previous patterns. You have that data. Do you know why, that data repeats itself, year after year? ( lack of _____ )

Your own data would certainly show that there is a huge increase in people wanting to follow their fitness goals - probably mid December onwards - and they do great and they make wonderful progress but so many (as your data shows) fall by the side and gradually [they] end up back where they were in the beginning. I am certain that your data would show that there is a huge decrease in members, continuing afterwards. This makes sense, not only in Johnstone Fitness but in other forums as well.

I believe, by creating such a forum you could create a "buddy" system for newbies that clearly addresses the "motivational" factor(s). You could even pair up senior members via email with new members that are trying to maintain their fitness goals. Talk to the wife and see what she thinks. Talk to others too. There must be a great way that this can be incorporated into your site and the timing is perfect. Perhpas, more can be done!?!

Does it really(genuinely) matter what 'your' volumes are? I am not seeking t-shirts here, myself..... Perhaps that coveted ball-point pen!? :)

If you can keep one person attached to their fitness goals.... well, that is, in my opinion, worth it.

“Successful people ask better questions, and as a result, they get better answers.” – Tony Robbins

4. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Prana,

A lot of what you're talking about here is very good stuff, and we've got some exciting features with regards to goal setting/tracking, social networking, motivation and fitness partners/buddies coming in the the all-new JSF BodyShop.

The new site is going to be in a closed beta very soon, and we plan to launch by January 2010. I think you'll like what you see.