1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Motivation or lack thereof

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by senimoni, Jan 28, 2004.

1. senimoni

senimoni Well-Known Member

I've been reading Johns daily journals since around October and like all of you I was definitely amazed by the transformation, but more so by his steadfast NO CHEAT EVER attitude.

I'm having a big problem with that. I can do great for 2-3 days, the weekend hits and I loose my freakin mind. I have a coke addiction which I can't seem to kick, I've even bought Diet Dr. Pepper and Crystal light but it just doesn't do it. I work nights ...(warning excuse coming) and about 4am I just get so tired its like "MUST HAVE COKE". I know I can beat, I have done it before but the holidays just totally threw me out of whack.

Also....at THAT time I crave chocolate like there is no tomorrow. On a good note I am dedicated about my workouts but the clean diet will be the death of me. Its almost self sabotage.

Any tips!

2. xray

xray Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you're talking about, however, I'm not as "bad" as you. Read my "Temptations" thread, I got many good advises,, and actually got my but kicked in the right direction. Let YOU and your MIND decide what you should have, not your tummy (- or bloodsugar, that is).
    I have followed the advices I got on deciding myself what I put into my precious body for the last three days or so - since I received them - and if I can, you can to.
    Remember to eat balanced throughout the day. It's probably and most likely our blood sugar level that tricks us. Eat apples before you get to the chocolate craving point (read it in a Magazine yesterday), and drink diet soda if you must have - despite most on the forums seems to stay away from it. (I don't completely.) It's a way of weaning down, anyway.
    I hope that helps. :gl:

3. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

^^^ I agree. Sometimes I just crave a soda and when I feel like that, it seems like nothing else will quench my thirst (even though I know better), I just go ahead and give in. I always have diet soda. Once you start drinking diet soda the regular stuff just tastes too sugary and syrupy anyway.

I always try to eat properly, except we have a cheat meal once a week and on that day I sometimes have a sugar free candy bar too. I just can't resist it :p

4. workoutgrrl

workoutgrrl Well-Known Member

I think I'd be creaful refering to myself as a "coke addict..." I almost took that the wrong way.

I used to have a caffeine addiction. I had to cut way back (totally off for a while) because of concerns for my health. I'd have 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning, followed by two or three sodas in the afternoon followed by more coffee or soda throughout the evening. It was so bad, I'd wake up in the middle of the night craving a diet coke and I couldn't sleep until I had one. I'd literally go to the kitchen, chug a diet coke, and go straight back to sleep. It was bad....

Here's a great alternative: http://www.sportea.com/index.htm

SporTea is an herbal blend and it has the kick of caffeine, but without the bad effects. You can have it cold or hot so it can replace coke or coffee with it. It gives you the buzz that coffee does, but without the calories, caffeine, or guilt. It's worth checking out. It tastes okay (I'm not really into herbal teas, but I like it).

It's hard to get use to living without the coke/coffee, but this is a little easier way to do it.

5. ravuribabu

ravuribabu Well-Known Member

I was a Diet Coke freak tooo,
    One thing I did to break that addiction is to drink lots of
    water... Allways carry water bottle with you.. Whenever
    you mouth feels dry take few sips...

Because I realized that I crave for coke when I become
    very thirsty.....and when mouth feels very dry...

Diet Soda is better than Ordinary Soda...But
    It also has bad affects on your health..

But Dont try to stop your soda intake suddenly.. slowly reduce
    quantity.. take a Soda when your belly is filled with water..
    you wont feel like drinking it again.... :D

It worked for me :gl:

6. Mahdimael

Mahdimael Well-Known Member

The big thing for me was just not buying the stuff when I went to the store. If it's not in the house, I can't eat it, and it's a lot easier to convince myself not to go to the store than the fridge.

7. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

The big thing for me was just not buying the stuff when I went to the store. If it's not in the house, I can't eat it, and it's a lot easier to convince myself not to go to the store than the fridge.

I know exactly what you mean, Mahdimael. Life has become much easier since shopping became a weekly planned trip rather that nipping up the road to the garage when the cupboard got bare. All to easy to graze on bad things.

Diet Soda is better than Ordinary Soda...But
    It also has bad affects on your health..

The amount of phosphoric acid in diet drinks plays havock with your teeth for one thing. I also noticed a big problem with my pulse when I was drinking alot of Diet Coke. I was studying for an exam and drinking about 6 litres per day. Usually all the caffeine would speed up your heart rate. My usual HR is about 54-56, but I noticed that I was skipping loads of beats, and had a pulse rate of 30 for fairly long periods of time. I didn't feel funny, but could really feel my heart thudding in my chest. An ECG (EKG across the pond) showed I had bigeminy, which is thankfully rarely a problem, and this has gone since I switched to caffeine free DC and vastly reduced the amount I take.

Another reason to get off fizzy drinks, as if we don't have enough already.

Andrew.

8. jaz75

jaz75 Well-Known Member

I have no problem not drinking sodas. Even staying away from chockolate is not a big problem. But there is one HUGE sacrifice for me, and thats giving up drinking beer at the pub with my buddies. That one is hard.. Anyone else feel the same way? I have decided though that I will make that sacrifice now! I'm sure when summer comes it will have been worth it!

9. taffer

taffer Well-Known Member

i guess im one of the lucky ones, i gave up coke and alcohol overnight
    i must say knowing what bad foods are doing to you is motivation enough to stay away from them
    go check out the articles on www.bodybuilding.com there is tons of good reading material there

10. tantan

tantan Well-Known Member

I dont normally drink Soda or fizzy Drinks ( or maybe once in a blue moon) But I do have an addiction to coffee. I used to drink 2 cups everyday, and for a period of time, I gradually see the side effects it has on my teeth..... Most of my closed ones started to point out the huge difference in the color and I become conscious about it, sometimes I even hesitate before I smile. :( Now I have reduced to a few days one cup, and most of the time I tried not to drink coffee in the morning. Whenever the addiction kicks in, I will tell myself that I have yet to drink my Anlene Calcium powder, or I will go for Milo ( which is also v good for health ) So this left me with not much options, but to take my daily supplements first.

Its only when I was tired with so much work that I will take a coffee break. I know that it is tough for me to give up coffee totally ( knowing the harm that it can cause to your health ) but I can at least try to reduce the consumption. I simply like the smell of coffee beans !!

Anyway, I guess everyone of us have our own addiction and it all takes self discipline to get through or at least reduce it.

Good Luck ! :D

11. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

Then have some coffee beans around and sniff 'em every so often! If that's really all that you like about coffee! Or some coffee scented candles, or anything!

Would smelling coffee beans and drinking hot water work?:confused:

12. tantan

tantan Well-Known Member

Hmmm... sounds interesting... maybe one of these days I might be crazy enough to try it out ! :drool:

13. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Well-Known Member

When you do 'fall off the rails' at the weekend, pick yourself up and continue being good.

There is no value in feeling guilty or dwelling on about drinking that extra can of coke or having that small packet of chips. Just do your best to do the right thing next time.

14. pooh

pooh Well-Known Member

here here, beer is my greatest vice aswell...i switched to jameson and water now, and my tolerance has gone to shite, but then it's all for the better is what i tell myself. ;)

on the chocolate craving front, this is my weapon of choice:

[​IMG]
    http://www.velamints.com

Standard Serving is 2 pieces, 5Cal, easy peasy, and it works amazingly well! :tu:

15. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Well-Known Member

In Australia, we have something made by Carlton United Breweries called 'LJ' which is a Low Joule, full-strength beer. Tastes a bit like water, but you can't complain!

16. pooh

pooh Well-Known Member

aye, we have this:

[​IMG]
    Calories: 96. not bad. on par with the best light beers.
    Alcohol: 4.1%
    Carbohydrates: 2.9 grams.(their selling point)

tastes like diluted apple juice that's been in the fridge too long. i'll stick to newcastle, maredsous or fat tire. =]