1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

motivation.. i need some, i lost all mine

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Jono, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i dont know what happend. but to make a long story short, after 1 month of clean eating and rigorous cardio/lifting.. the last 3-4 days.. i find myself eating healthy for the most of the day.. but than i seem to crack in the evening and go all out like old times!

i don't know what happend

help me get back on track guys! i know there is some other folks that are having the same problem as me.

do/say whatever you can! it's as if the advice i give to others about mind over matter, do it for a healthy body and what not.. im not applying what i preach anymore!

help kick start my ass again guys!

2. Skipper

Skipper Well-Known Member

I did exactly the same thing, droped in motivation after three or four weeks. I was out eating very good and unhealthy plus drank tremendous amounts of wine this saturday, and that was just the top after cheating in both eating and training during the last days in last week.

So I decided to cook all the food for the whole week this last sunday. I did 7 courses and 42 portions and it took me and a pal seven hours.

So I commited to myself to only eat those dishes (and fruit) nothing else. I also bought me a nice training bench and now everything feels good again!

3. Rockman

Rockman Well-Known Member

Jono, Get Your Arse In Gear!!! Take Before & After Pics. Look At Them! Stay Occupied To Kept Your Mind Out Of The Fridge!

4. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

Back on the horse...

Hi Jono.

Temptation will always be there, as I'm sure you know. Dealing with it is always the difficult thing. I have the utmost admiration for John (The Daddy) for his unwavering dedication, and total lack of cheats for 6 months plus. I can't do that, unfortunately.
    However, I remember reading someone's story on another forum (sorry, don't remember where) and he found that he got on easier by breaking things down into 1 week blocks. He found that eating within a very tight range of calories was difficult for him. So instead of eating 2000cals per day, (for the sake of the maths) he would eat 14000cals per week, and his daily amounts would fluctuate as he saw fit.
    It made things easier for him.
    As for not exercising, I love endorphins. Learn to love your endorphins, and the 'chore' of exercising diminishes.

Luck.

Andrew.

5. cupboardy

cupboardy Well-Known Member

I think that just means you're human. It happens. Think about why you want to lose the weight you had motivation a month ago, it will come back. Look back at the past 4 days and think 'oops - ah well. eh?' (sorry the 'eh' was added due to your location ;) )

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

We all need a little help like this from time to time. I started my transformation at the beginning of November, right before Thanksgiving/Christmas - very hard, but that's when I decided to do it.
    BTW, this recent thread should be an excellent read for you right now:
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=756&highlight=motivators
    Everyone's initial motivations are unique to the individual. For me, the fact that I have multiple motivations helps greatly. When one motivator is not quite so strong one day, another will take over. Here are my motivators:

My 2 year-old son - He put me over the top to start, and has been my most consistent motivator

High blood pressure - 'nuff said

Feeling consistently better - I really didn't realize how bad I felt before I started - feeling bad became 'normal'. Things like bloating, heartburn, lack of energy, are all gone.
    In fact, on this note, I had convinced myself that I was lactose intolerant. I had all the symptoms, and the pills would work (a little). After getting my weight down, I'm not having any more symptoms! Plus, now I'm drinking lots of milk. I used to avoid it like the plague.
    The new energy I feel is great! I swear I think more clearly now as well.

Wanting to look better
    and related to above
    Seeing gradual progress

I'm sure your motivations not are exactly the same as mine, but I'm sure most people have "Feeling consistently better" in common. After one month, I would imagine that you might have felt some effects already. If you haven't you will really soon if you stick with it. It would be tragic to miss out.

So, all I can say is keep a list of your motivators. Write them down, and keep them constantly in your head.
    Don't let us down, Jono. Most importantly, don't let yourself down!

#6 Jimbo, Feb 9, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  7. Evil Hx Coupe

Evil Hx Coupe Well-Known Member

I broke down for 1 day last week and came to the forum... Looked at some before and after pics of people and that was enough to get me back on track... Now my diet is even cleaner than it was before I broke down, and I also increased the cardio!!!

Get back to healthy eating!!!! NOW!! :p :bb: :bb:

8. lordscarlet

lordscarlet Well-Known Member

All the motivation you need:

John.

:tu: :bow:

9. xray

xray Well-Known Member

Hey jono! You can do it, common!! You are one of my great motivators in here, what you write and answer in the treads I read with great interest. One of my "heroes", you'll always get back on track!! ;) However, I'm actually glad you are human - may be you have not given your body the needed rest?? I cheer on you, Jono!! :tu: :claphigh:

10. belka

belka Well-Known Member

motivation, there is plenty of it out there...

when i am feeling down or lazy, i usually go to www.atkins.com to check out their
    success stories.
    For example:
    http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/1/27-987995.html

this guy lost almost 200lbs! If he can do so much, I should be able to drop 10lbs in the
    next month easy!

Once i lose those 10lbs, I'll look at the site again to motivate myself to lose the next 10!

Set small goals. Celebrate when you reach them. Repeat.
    Keep it up! :tu:

11. Two Step

Two Step Well-Known Member

Just another thought....

Motivations aside, your body may just be trying to tell you that it needs a little rest. If you've gone from being sedentary/unhealthly to all of a sudden eating clean, lifting, cardio, etc. after a month or so you could just be wearing down a little, especiallialy if you are dieting.

I might suggest adding in just an extra 200 Kcal or so during the day and see if this helps boost your energy levels and keep your diet on track at night.

12. TFXP-Zeke01

TFXP-Zeke01 Well-Known Member

You really have to be a stubborn person to have the willpower of John. I know because I'm kinda the same way. For me, it was quitting smoking which I proudly did. Now, it's gonna be getting back in shape which I haven't fully got full motivation for yet, but I'm getting there. I know that it's been rough because of the Winter months. Ever since I can remember, I have always enjoyed eating more in the Winter. Am I part grizzly bear?:D Well, I know me and once I get a whiff of Summer air my butt will be hard core about dieting and weight training. I'm in no huge hurry to get ripped, so I'm taking it slowly in order to preserve as much muscle as possible. It helps me to have a cheat day. To some this is not accepted, but to me it is. Motivation is all in how keen we stay on how we want to look and I know I wanna be like I was when I was 20 ...... like this(I'm on the left)

13. Dr.Evil

Dr.Evil Well-Known Member

Stubborn'ness is not a GENETICAL "THING" for John or Jingo or to
    any body else. Everybody can be as stubborn as much as they
    want to if they have right kind of interest....

One of my favourite quotes is this....

Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.-Henry Ford

Your motivation is down, doesn't mean the end of world...
    Observe the pattern...

Take a look at your goals, R they realistic, why do you want
    to achieve them...R u working out creatively.... Or R u following
    same boring routine everyday....

Try different excercises... Try different intensities...

Just take ass off... dress up... go to Gym..... I am sure
    you won't come back without doing any thing....

14. seeDerekNow

seeDerekNow Well-Known Member

Dude, you have been one of the biggest contributors in this forum. It's ok to slip up every now and then...we all go through it. Consistency is the key. Your diet and your training don't have to be perfect every day. Your motivation? Read your own posts. You have provided so much helpful information and support to everyone else here, you've forgotten that it can used to help yourself!

Eye of the Tiger baby, Eye of the Tiger.

15. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

yeah really im not sure what happend..

i am 18 years old, i've weight trained for 2 years.. really hard for the last year, and i know what im doing in the gym. i have learnt and have been taught by the best, people with master's in phsyiology who train sporting athletes and olympic athletes..

my diet and all my nutritional sources have been handed down from a nutrionists and lifter himself..

i'll admit, and he admited that the diet he created for me is pretty much as strict as it can get. every time i eat, that food gets used up.. and at the end of the day, im in a 100 to 300 calorie deficit..

i started off at 179 lbs.. got down to 168/169.. i cant give up now.. my progress was extremely apparent and visible.. i've screwed up big time the last few days. it sucks, really puts a hamper on progress.

anyways i plan on making a full recovery and I AM going to go 4 straight weeks without having a cheat meal. i really never found them necessary before, the foods i was eating was delicious in the begining.

so lets see what 4 solid weeks of training will do for myself

thanks for the support guys..

i find formyself motivation comes within, other cant reallt motivate me.. it helps a bit, but its gotta be all me and nothing else. i liked the progress i am seeing, there is no reason why i should stop and put all that fat back on..

Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.-Henry Ford

that was an awsome quote, i think i shall start from there.. and since today is already a write off.. i'll just salvage whatever i can and start my cardio and lifting tomorrow

16. Debujanai

Debujanai Well-Known Member

Jono,

Dude, you're 18! It sounds corny, but you're still growing. Your body, more than a sedentary adult, is craving nutrition. Oh, to be 18 again. I wish I could feed my face and have it translate into height, not width.

And you're only young once. Take in those treats while you still can! I can guarantee you it will be easier to pig out now and work it off than it will be 10 or 20 years from now. Now, when I say pig out, I mean have a cheeseburger (not 3 or 4!) and not get worked up about it. Then when you go to work out, tell yourself, 'Man, I just ate that cheeseburger! I gotta give 110% today.'

And this is coming from a 24 year old...sorry if it sounds preachy, but I'm already lamenting my lost years of potential. I would say motivate yourself by saying 'I have a plan to be fit for life. I'm young and strong and have a vision for my future. I will succeed. My success will not be measured against the number of times I slip and fall, but against my admirable goals and dedication to be a better person.'

A number of years from now, when you have achieved the body and lifestyle you have always wanted and fought for, any slipups and faltering of your willpower will be mere blips in your story. Your story will be one of success. That is what will be remembered. So the key here is: Don't sweat the small things and look at the bigger picture.

I hope this was helpful.

17. HunkOLove

HunkOLove Well-Known Member

Dude!

Know one thing - everyone on this board has moments of weakness and doubt but we are all pulling for you! I admit I ate some M&Ms ACK! But hey man don't beat yourself up. Just come back out of the corner swinging! You are stronger than the snacks!

Just do what Arnold does - sit down and relax - close your eyes and imagine how you will look in a few months when you stick with this. You like what you see. I know you do. You like the compliments you receive. You like the chicks [or dudes heh] checking you out. Now keep that vision in your mind and live your life to become the vision. It's all within your reach and it's so close. You just gotta get over the hump and buckle down. I beleive 100% that if you stick with the program you will be a much much happier person. Anytime you need support you can come here. That's why were all here.

One thing I did for myself is I made a weight chart poster and it says "HOW FAT YOU ARE" I weigh myself weekly and put it on there. It sits right in front of my exercise bike so I can look at it while I'm pedaling away. If I feel like quitting or giving up I just look at it. You can make a little one and put it right on the fridge. It reminds me of where I'm at and where I'm making progress big or small. GO TEAM GO: :claplow: :claphigh: :db:

Check out these quotes from Coach Vince Lombardi:

A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done.

Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price.

It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.

18. HunkOLove

HunkOLove Well-Known Member

One More Thing:

If you're overweight that is:

Make a big sign and post it on your fridge. The sign should say the following:

YOU'RE A FAT SON OF A BITCH THAT CHICKS ARE GOING TO LAUGH AT. IF YOU OPEN THIS DOOR AND STUFF YOUR FAT GOB YOU'RE GOING TO BE FATTER SON OF A BITCH THAT CHICKS WILL LAUGH AT.
    GET FIT - GET LAID!​

Harsh I know but hey you are 18 and with all that testorone in your system if the promise of boobies doesn't motivate you what will? Just think how happy you will be with hot chicks checking out the new improved you. Not get your ass to the gym and work for it man! :claphigh:

19. Bobby Lee

Bobby Lee Well-Known Member

As Rob Schneider in the waterboy

You Can Do It!!! I am the worst ever at sticking to it. I am on 4 days with no soda after years of 12-14 a day. The headaches were driving me insane, but today they are finally down to a dull ache. Falling off is just a little sidestep. Get back up and dust yourself off, and DO IT!!! I live with a wife that can eat everything under the sun and not stretch an inch. Bless her! I look at the food she eats and gain five pounds. I'm just tired of walking into a room and waiting 5 minutes for my rear end to catch up. Your young and you will bounce back much faster than my old 43 years. We are all in your same shoes! I have faith in you. Good Luck!!!

20. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

HA! Bobby Lee, you made me laugh out loud! Thank goodness the office door is closed, or you'd give my slacking away.

That should be your signature... "Bobby Lee... leaving my ass behind."