1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Most weight gained after cheat weekend?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by zeusadjee, Aug 3, 2004.

1. zeusadjee

zeusadjee Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this and haven't ever posted, even though I enjoy reading all your posts. Anyway, I've also been working out and exercising on and off for a couple of years now, and have worked my way down from 267 lbs to approx. 180 lbs now, with a few regains (when I haven't been too careful) and losses along the way. I've decided, after reading this site, that I'm finally ready to lose those last thirty pounds (I'm 5'6", and female, and even though 150 might seem a tad heavy, I'm very muscular, so it'll be great). After following a clean diet of approx. 1800 calories a day, and doing cardio and weights on alternate days, I was happy to lose two pounds last week, and recorded 178 on Friday.

Now comes the reason for the title of this thread - I had to attend an event over the weekend, and considering I hadn't had a cheat meal in a while, I decided to indulge, and consumed probably 7000 calories over the weekend, give or take a 1000. I expected to weigh more on Monday, and I decided I could live with a few more pounds... I was expecting three or four. Well, you'll never guess how much I gained: SEVEN pounds! The scale read 185 yesterday, and it hadn't budged this morning, even though I'm back to my strenuous exercise and clean eating. I need help - what should I do??? I had thought most of this was going to be water - I know it's impossible to gain seven pounds of fat over the weekend - but how can I lose it and put my diet back on track? Does anyone else have a horror story about a cheat meal/day/weekend having gone horribly awry? Please share, and let me know what you did to correct the situation - I'd appreciate all the help I can get!

2. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

So, over 2-3 days you had 7000 calories. That's not so bad. Even if your basic metabolic rate was 0 and you did not move, that would have been merely 7000 calories excess. Assuming a pure efficiency in your body turning those calories to fat, it would have been merely two pounds of fat. Now, since your body does need fuel, I doubt that you had even a pound worth of excess calories. You gained all this weight because your body was clearly low on fuel, specifically fluids, glycogen, etc. Continue as you have been and it will get down to that 178 again, and then continue on lower as long as you limit the indulge days.

Most of it is water, and you can lose it by doing exactly what was working before.

To answer your question I'd say that if I'm in the middle of dieting and my weight is, let's say 175 in a morning, and then I pile in food all that day, I could probably wake up the next day around 178 or maybe 179. It's really not incredibly healthy to yo yo weight around like that (even if most of it isn't fat), but don't worry about your 7k. It's nothin (my cheat days alone in a single day are around ~4500 calories!).

3. zeusadjee

That sounds interesting - could you specify a little more? You're right, I wasn't drinking as much water as I should have over the weekend (now I'm back to my usual gallon and half per day, and I hope that'll help), but glycogen? What is it and how did I deprive my body of it? Besides, how was my body low on fuel if I was eating so much? (I'm still new to most of the technical stuff).

4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Well-Known Member

Seven pounds is nothing. I can easily gain that overnight. Glycogen is the fuel stored in your muscles. Particularly if you've been eating low carb, your glycogen stores will be low. When you eat a lot of food, the glycogen stores are built back up. Each gram of glycogen carries 3 grams of water along with it when it's stored. Hence, a lot of water gain.

If you ate a lot of salty foods over the weekend, there's some more water coming in. The extra weight will disappear fairly quickly. If I eat a large meal on Sunday, it's usually Wednesday or Thursday before all the excess weight disappears.

Whatever you do, don't worry! It's definitely not fat. Seven pounds of fat would be 24,300 calories and I seriously doubt that you ate that much.

5. ABguy

ABguy Well-Known Member

Well, the good news is it isn't all fat.

Like Skoorb said, it's mostly water....don't freak out.

Everyone (ok, most people) falls off sometime. The scale can be VERY inaccurate when you are trying to determine a pound lost or a pound gained...

Look for positive trends. Gauge it every 2 weeks. Water can account for 3-8 pounds in a day, depending on when you weigh yourself.

Had a bad weekend....just pick it up today and march on.

Congrats on your past success. 80 lbs is quite an accomplishment.

You're obviously doing something right. :tu:

6. adamc

adamc Well-Known Member

FWIW, my normal gain after a cheat day is 7-8 pounds. It all comes off, plus a little bit more, in a week, every week.

Hmmm ... that reminds me, I need to update my sig ... I'm 218 now.

I agree with everyone else about what to do ... just keep doing what you've been doing and don't worry about it. Also, if it takes longer than you'd like to get back to pre-cheat total weight (like 2-3 weeks), don't worry about it. Sometimes, the best progress doesn't look like a straight line.

#6 adamc, Aug 4, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  7. RMe

RMe Well-Known Member

Never use the scale at face value. Use it as a tool over time. I like to keep a seven day moving average. Even after vacation and less than desirable meals, my average still shows me losing weight (just a little slower) even though I weighed more for a couple of days. Scales are horrible for snapshots b/c there are so many factors that can change body weight especially in women (mainly water retension). Don't panic, in a few days things will be back to normal, but you will always have the memories of great food. :gl:

8. PhilipDC78

PhilipDC78 Well-Known Member

I just want to reiterate what everyone is saying here. Don't freak out with what the scale says on any particular day. I have gained as much as 6 pounds in a single day! So, just keep track of the long time weight trends. It helps to log your weight in a spreadsheet like excel, or simply write down your weight in a notebook. I weigh myself every night and get my body fat percentage. My daily weight and body fat % fluctuate a lot, but my weekly and monthly averages are steadily dropping, which is both very exciting for me and keeps me motivated. So far I have lost over 24 pounds and can't wait to lose the next 36 or so in the coming 5-6 months. Keep up the excersizing and eating clean and you will reach your goals too.

9. zeusadjee

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for your help, everyone - I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that other factors (water retention at that time of the month) have come into play, since the water weight is still not budging. It's funny - sometimes I think I want this really badly; i.e. - to reach my goal weight and maintain it in a healthy manner, but at other times I think I'm subconsciously sabotaging myself because I'm reluctant to move out of this comfort zone for so many reasons: remarks from friends and family (I've always been big, and this is the 'thinnest' I've ever been; if I get even smaller, there's bound to be lots of talk), a whole new wardrobe (which is going to be sooo expensive), etc, etc. Does anyone else have that? Half of me really wants to lose weight, the other half is reluctant and is regularly getting my good half into trouble by giving in to temptation and so on... Anyway, my goal is to lose these last thirty pounds by May next year (my graduation), so I hope the prospect of that will keep me motivated and keep both halves of me on the same page :D

10. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Well, it will inevitably draw comments about your weight. Good comments, but comments nonetheless.

And, of course, cutting back junk eating from a regular frequent occurance down to infrequent isn't fun for anybody. It's undoubtedly a harder lifestyle (even though it is worth it).

11. Wamsutta

Wamsutta Well-Known Member

I cheated on Sunday, was up 3 pounds on Monday morning. Then a pound less Tuesday, then a pound less today. It's mostly water weight if you laxed on your water intake, I imagine.

I'll likely come out weighing less on Thursday or Friday than I did before cheating.

12. Micket

Micket Well-Known Member

i've been pretty much cheating the whole summer,,, mmmm bbq

havent gained anything :D

13. Krakerjak

Krakerjak Well-Known Member

I have weighed 14 pounds heavier after a string of 4 bad days.

Most of it was water but regardless it is disheartening.
    My body is like a huge dry sponge.

14. cz3ch

cz3ch Well-Known Member

I think the trick for me is to NOT have a cheat weekend, but a cheat meal on Friday or at the most a Cheat Day (2-3 meals that our out of synch for me).

Lately Friday nights I've been hitting the mediterranean restaraunts and eating generous portions of chicken/lamb/fatoosh/hummus... in reality they are all good foods which can contribute to muscle/fatloss but I just eat a bit more than normal to satisfy the craving. The Friday before I had 3 slices of pizza which was delicious, a salad and water... and yeah i gain 2-3 lbs that weekend but it's gone by tuesday and the loss continues.

Looking at my own stats, it's really hard to tell when your losing fat or gaining muscle.. i'd suggest go by how you feel and how your clothes fit. For instance I've been floating at 202 for a week or two now but my waist went down to 34" from 35" which most likely indicates a fatloss.

The trick is to induldge, just don't go crazy, i'd suggest a cheat day instead of a whole weekend, since 2-3 days of cheating can change your metabolism, whereas one day just throws it off track briefly.

Good luck.. and eat tons of ice cream for me :)

15. zeusadjee

Just thought I'd update - it's amazing, after weighing 185 all of this week (even went up to 186 on Wednesday!), I weigh 181.5 this morning! Now I can finally show my face on this forum...:) I'm not sure what it is, because it could be one of two things:

1. I analyzed my diet a couple of days ago, and found out it was more of a 60/30/10 c/p/f split (isn't that awful?!), so I kept track of everything I ate yesterday and achieved close to a 43/47/10 split, just for yesterday - but shouldn't it be too soon to see results from that? I'll keep up the new diet for the next couple of days and see what happens (I've packed up my Kashi, oatmeal, whole grain pasta, whole grain english muffins, pretzels, and popcorn for the next week, and will depend on fruits, vegetables, wasa crispbread, and sparingly-used low carb whole wheat tortillas for carbs). It feels strange to just have cottage cheese and egg whites for breakfast... and cottage cheese is SO expensive!

2. That icky time-of-the-month started today (sorry, guys, this is probably gross for you... but it's about time you knew what we go through!), so my body's extreme water-retention phase is over. I can only hope the remaining 3.5 lbs is also water that will go off in the next couple of days... knock on wood...